Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnShade

join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX
reply to Extide

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

If it's not ours, we won't touch. We will pass a manufacturer's update to your modem, but not any firmware that we have modfied for our network. see my comment about "litigation" If it's ours and we break it, it's on us. If it's yours and we break it, that's a whole different thing

join:2014-01-06
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

True. if it's on the approved list, that means that type/model has been tested on the network. No, you do NOT have to rent a modem from us. usually the issues start when the modem is incorrectly added to the inventory system. If it's yours, then it suppoesed to be flagged as "owned/purchased". If the person adding it misses that (standard human error) then the system (which is a computer!) will assume that you need to "return" it. I agree that the agent didn't understand the actual issue

Seems like this problem happens an awful lot for something so basic when completing an order, accident, maybe not, with Comcast it's likely an
as Judge Judy says, an "on purpose".

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to mb

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

said by mb:

Could this be an attempt to steer customers toward using Comcast provided gateways in order for Comcast to increase their Infinity wireless coverage?

If it is they'll not get much luck in my neighborhood
I have a cisco 1242AG with 2x 9db ants and the AP is set to 250ma, good luck trying to use my channel (And I might someday get a total of 3 AP's and concur Wifi in my area
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

said by mb:

Could this be an attempt to steer customers toward using Comcast provided gateways in order for Comcast to increase their Infinity wireless coverage?

Well, the TC8305c and DPC3939 are the main 105 Mbps players. Both of those models do not support xfinitywifi at this time.

I guess they sometimes supply the TG862 to Extreme 105 customers, but with their poor range and random auto channel picking, they aren't building out any network with that lol. I wonder who it was who decided to let these things choose channels other than 1,6, and 11. They originally just chose any random channel out of 1,6, and 11, but now it's out of any channel.

Would be funny if one picked ch14 one day.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Nightfall

Re: [Price] A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

said by Nightfall:

The other part is the router. The comcast rep asked me about my router and I told him that it could handle the extra speed.

I would do the same

I doubt most CSR's have even heard of a Cisco 3845
--
semper idem

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by DarkLogix:

said by Nightfall:

The other part is the router. The comcast rep asked me about my router and I told him that it could handle the extra speed.

I would do the same

I agree

The rep that asked me probably knows most consumer routers. At the same time they aren't experts which is why they are asking about the speeds of the routers that we have when we sign up for Blast or above.

I am sure that some uninformed consumers get upset when they just say "Yes, Yes, Yes" on the phone when the CSR is asking these questions, but then they don't get the faster speeds because their equipment is not up to snuff. This isn't Comcast's fault though, but it will be in the eyes of the consumer.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JohnShade

said by JohnShade:

True. if it's on the approved list, that means that type/model has been tested on the network. No, you do NOT have to rent a modem from us. usually the issues start when the modem is incorrectly added to the inventory system. If it's yours, then it suppoesed to be flagged as "owned/purchased". If the person adding it misses that (standard human error) then the system (which is a computer!) will assume that you need to "return" it. I agree that the agent didn't understand the actual issue

Then they should have two separate inventory systems
as a CSR should never be adding Comcast owned modems to the inventory only the shipping/receiving dept

so a CSR should only be marking a modem as applied to the account

If said modem was added by shipping/receiving then it should be in a Comcast owned modem DB and if it wasn't added by shipping/receiving then it should be in a customer owned DB.

then when the CSR applies a modem via the serial number with MAC it should query the DB's and if its found in the Comcast owned DB vs the Customer owned DB then it were apply the rental flag.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

If it's not ours, we won't touch. We will pass a manufacturer's update to your modem, but not any firmware that we have modfied for our network. see my comment about "litigation" If it's ours and we break it, it's on us. If it's yours and we break it, that's a whole different thing

Ok you don't know what you're talking about then.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

said by DarkLogix:

said by Nightfall:

I would do the same

I agree

The rep that asked me probably knows most consumer routers. At the same time they aren't experts which is why they are asking about the speeds of the routers that we have when we sign up for Blast or above.

I am sure that some uninformed consumers get upset when they just say "Yes, Yes, Yes" on the phone when the CSR is asking these questions, but then they don't get the faster speeds because their equipment is not up to snuff. This isn't Comcast's fault though, but it will be in the eyes of the consumer.

If I were at Comcast in a role of authority then I'd have someone build a DB based on data from smallnetbuilder, so the CSR would put in the make, model, revision number and the DB would know

of course also add an option of declined, if declined is picked then when/if the person calls to say they aren't getting the speed a recheck would be requested.
--
semper idem

JohnShade

Pearland, TX
reply to DarkLogix

As a CSR, I cannot add a comcast device to the inventory system, that's already done by warehouse. The problem is when you purchase your own modem. How is it going to end up in the inventory system? It has to be added.
As the most common method that customers use to communicate with us is by phone, it falls to the CSR's to make sure that it is entered correctly. If it is added to the system as "leased" then that is how the system puts it into the inventory system.
Your idea is solid, the problem is implementation. Modifing the existing database structure would be very expensive as you have to ensure that the new inventory db/system correctly works with all the other software that we use. Since some of what we use is proprietary, we would have to pay a company to modify their software(which we use) so that everything works together.
It's a great idea. Had it been implemented 20 something years ago when these huge db's were designed, it would be a walk in the park.

JohnShade

Pearland, TX
When I add a cst owned modem, I always put a permanent note on the account that reads "cst owned mdm add//"manufacturer", "model", "MAC address". That way, if there are any questions as to whose modem it is, it's a permanent note.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

As a CSR, I cannot add a comcast device to the inventory system, that's already done by warehouse. The problem is when you purchase your own modem. How is it going to end up in the inventory system? It has to be added.
As the most common method that customers use to communicate with us is by phone, it falls to the CSR's to make sure that it is entered correctly. If it is added to the system as "leased" then that is how the system puts it into the inventory system.

Do you really not see the inconsistency in the above two statements?

You can not add a leased Comcast device to the inventory, but you can add a customer owned device as a leased Comcast device?

Tell me again how this is not a deliberate scheme by Comcast to steal customer owned equipment; there is no other explanation for the scenario wherein you can not add a Comcast owned device to Comcast's inventory (because that is automated), but you can a customer owned device to Comcast's inventory. What other reason could there possibly be for adding a customer owned piece of equipment to Comcast's inventory?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JohnShade
if you read my post I describe how it should be done.
--
semper idem

JohnShade

Pearland, TX
reply to NetFixer
When the systems were originally designed, cable modems were only available from cable companies. The most common form of Internet access, at the time, was dial up. That is why the systems were not designed as Dark Logix suggested.
It was only later, as cable access to the Internet became more common, that cable companies started allowing customer owned equipment - cable modems- on the network there is no inconsistency.
The original systems were designed based on the assumption that the only modems in inventory would be company owned leased units that would be added by the warehouse group since those were the people who would be actually receiving the units direct from the factory.
Once customers were allowed to add their purchased modems, it was easier and cheaper to add a process allowing people other than warehouse to add the unit into inventory.
It is not a "deliberate scheme" It is simple human error compounded by people not actually understanding how and why the systems work that way.
When I add a modem, there is a field labeled "type" which has two choices, "Leased" or "Owned", in the drop down. As the majority of modems are added by warehouse, the top choice is "leased". If a CSR just clicks through, it will show as "leased" not "owned"
That's why I ALWAYS put the note I referenced on a customer's account. Permanent notes cannot be removed or altered. They can only be archived from an inactive account.

JohnShade

Pearland, TX
reply to DarkLogix
I did read the post. It has nothing to do with how it can be done, it is the scope and the cost of altering long established legacy systems. Every business in America operates like this. Any change, no matter what, must have a solid economic reason for being made. Businesses that do not follow this on a regular basis have a nasty tendency to go under.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JohnShade
And that's a problem systems need to be kept up to date with reality.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

I did read the post. It has nothing to do with how it can be done, it is the scope and the cost of altering long established legacy systems. Every business in America operates like this. Any change, no matter what, must have a solid economic reason for being made. Businesses that do not follow this on a regular basis have a nasty tendency to go under.

Ya, and my idea would save time on the CSR's as it would fix the problem and thus remove long annoying calls about why a customer has been being charged wrongly.

Sure they would lose money they should have never had but that's not something to be worried about.
--
semper idem

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

It is not a "deliberate scheme" It is simple human error compounded by people not actually understanding how and why the systems work that way.
When I add a modem, there is a field labeled "type" which has two choices, "Leased" or "Owned"

It is a deliberate scheme by Comcast management to ensure that Comcast profits from the inevitable human error (and laziness...since you say that the default value is "Leased") of their CSRs. A company that put its customers first (instead of considering them to be adversaries) would make declaring that a modem belongs to the company during the modem registration/activation process something other than the default process (and would require a validation from Comcast's actual inventory records before it would be allowed to happen). It is not a coincidence that Comcast finds itself on the most hated company list.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

If I were at Comcast in a role of authority then I'd have someone build a DB based on data from smallnetbuilder, so the CSR would put in the make, model, revision number and the DB would know

of course also add an option of declined, if declined is picked then when/if the person calls to say they aren't getting the speed a recheck would be requested.

I agree, but that still won't eliminate the problem with uninformed customers thinking their equipment is fine. Many people already consider the CSRs at Comcast to be horrible (myself included). When I encounter a CSR that knows his stuff, I am the first to leave their manager a high review.

Still, your approach does eliminate some of the potential issues. It was great to talk to the rep that I talked to. He was really knowledgeable on routers.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

And that's a problem systems need to be kept up to date with reality.

But that takes research, development, and money which is less bonus money for the CxO's. That is reality.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ExoticFish

As of today I never was contacted by anyone as they stated to Karl I would be.

Maybe it's me, but just because Pete was able to set things straight for me doesn't excuse them from reaching out to at least apologize.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by ExoticFish:

Maybe it's me, but just because Pete was able to set things straight for me doesn't excuse them from reaching out to at least apologize.

Haven't you heard that "love means you never have to say you're sorry"?
--

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JohnShade

said by JohnShade:

When the systems were originally designed, cable modems were only available from cable companies. The most common form of Internet access, at the time, was dial up. That is why the systems were not designed as Dark Logix suggested.

Sounds like the system needs an updated design, then

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

Your idea is solid, the problem is implementation. Modifing the existing database structure would be very expensive as you have to ensure that the new inventory db/system correctly works with all the other software that we use. Since some of what we use is proprietary, we would have to pay a company to modify their software(which we use) so that everything works together.
It's a great idea. Had it been implemented 20 something years ago when these huge db's were designed, it would be a walk in the park.

They need to spend the big bucks designing a new database. All of the problems I run into with Comcast is because one guy doesn't know what the last guy did, prem techs don't know what was discussed on the phone, they can't track inventory on the trucks in real time, and on and on. If they want to stop rating at the bottom of service surveys the top brass is going to have to give the go ahead to invest in the backend

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR
said by Zoder:

They need to spend the big bucks designing a new database. All of the problems I run into with Comcast is because one guy doesn't know what the last guy did, prem techs don't know what was discussed on the phone, they can't track inventory on the trucks in real time, and on and on. If they want to stop rating at the bottom of service surveys the top brass is going to have to give the go ahead to invest in the backend

Why do that, when it's so much cheaper and thus more quarterly-profitable to put it off and keep potential competitors at bay through regulatory capture and bribing legislators? Extracting monopoly profits: nice work if you can get it.

Zoder

Miami, FL
But I watched some of the hearing last night and David Cohen is very sad about their poor customer service. Don't tell me he was being insincere. My faith in lobbysits would be ruined

Papageno

Portland, OR
Oh, he's sincere alright...about how badly he wants the 85 million bucks he stands to get if the deal goes through.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Papageno:

Oh, he's sincere alright...about how badly he wants the 85 million bucks he stands to get if the deal goes through.

It's not like you'd every do your job for money, right?

Zoder

Miami, FL
reply to Papageno
That's the payday for the TWC CEO. Cohen is Comcast's top lobbyist. I'm sure he'll get a nice bonus but not that high.

Papageno

Portland, OR
reply to tshirt
Well, I am rather fond of eating regularly, and having a warm bed to sleep in at night.