Search similar:

uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Papageno

to Papageno

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

Oh cool. I know I heard a lot about these routers having WAN and LAN limitations of like 32Mbps or something but never knew which revisions were affected and which weren't. Thanks for the info.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502

Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

said by davidc502:

Here's the clincher...... Beware.. Even if you own your own modem, Comcast may charge you a rental fee (by accident of course).

At this point I wouldn't say that would be an accident. It has happened to people for many many years and many many times. Comcast knows of this and still does nothing to correct it from happening in the first place.

After that long of things like that going on, it is nothing but a scam plain and simple.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

said by Cthen:

At this point I wouldn't say that would be an accident. It has happened to people for many many years and many many times. Comcast knows of this and still does nothing to correct it from happening in the first place.

After that long of things like that going on, it is nothing but a scam plain and simple.

Yeah, the "not knowing" and not training CSRs how to fix it is intentional. This would be a good thing for a class action lawyer to handle. (Yes, I realize in such cases the lawyers are the real winners, but the result will still set Comcast back some money and may force them to fix it. Obviously it's not cost-effective for any one person to litigate such a case themselves, so your two options are "class action lawyer getting a bunch of money" or "nothing.")
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

Yeah, it depends on the version. Most of them are right around 200 MHz, with various versions of Broadcom SoCs. The last few ones run at 240 MHz, so they get a bit of a boost with routing throughput. The older ones can be overclocked as well. I ran my WRT54GL at 216 MHz for years with zero issues. It was slightly unstable at 233 though.

I worked on a WRT54G v8 last week, it got about 60 Mbps with my modem connected to it (SB6141 w/75 Mbps business). Roughly the same speed with both the stock firmware and DD-WRT micro when plugged in directly. On wireless, it did about 7 Mbps on stock, 16 with DD-WRT.

As for the OP, personally I'd drop to Blast before renting a modem or gateway from them.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· G_series

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

2 recommendations

Nightfall to ExoticFish

MVM

to ExoticFish

Re: [Price] A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem

I have my own equipment and Comcast upgraded me to the new 105 speeds without a problem. My modem and router were both on the approved list. They did ask me about the speed on my router and since I have an ASUS RT-N66U router, it does support the extra speed. The rep on the phone said I know my stuff and was impressed.

I know there are people out there that are trying to get the higher speeds with a 2.0 modem or with a router that doesn't have the throughput. Then they bitch at Comcast as to why they aren't getting 105 speeds. Doesn't surprise me that Comcast is trying to push their own equipment.

In short, if you know your stuff and have the right equipment, Comcast isn't going to force you to rent their equipment to get 105 speeds.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to ExoticFish

MVM

to ExoticFish
In case anyone missed the reply from Comcast:
»Comcast: No, We're Not Forcing Users to Rent Modems [46] comments

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

1 recommendation

Karl Bode to ExoticFish

News Guy

to ExoticFish
So I got an official comment from Comcast and wrote something up about this for the front page (edit: whoops, I see Andy beat me to it):

The short version: your install subcontractor was not enforcing official company policy, renting is still fine, and that memo he used to justify it appears to be outdated. Comcast's looking into why this happened, and they should be reaching out to you to make amends (let me know if that doesn't happen).

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I have my own equipment and Comcast upgraded me to the new 105 speeds without a problem. My modem and router were both on the approved list.

Glad to hear this is the case! You are one of many BBR users that own their own device and have subscribed to the 105 tier.
said by Nightfall:

I know there are people out there that are trying to get the higher speeds with a 2.0 modem or with a router that doesn't have the throughput. Then they bitch at Comcast as to why they aren't getting 105 speeds.

Yeah, as a new sub you'll need a D3.0 device that is capable of the speed and not a D2.0 device. If someone owns a D2.0 device and their tier is upgraded to 50 or 105, then you'll get an email asking you to upgrade your device.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by jlivingood:

said by Nightfall:

I have my own equipment and Comcast upgraded me to the new 105 speeds without a problem. My modem and router were both on the approved list.

Glad to hear this is the case! You are one of many BBR users that own their own device and have subscribed to the 105 tier.
said by Nightfall:

I know there are people out there that are trying to get the higher speeds with a 2.0 modem or with a router that doesn't have the throughput. Then they bitch at Comcast as to why they aren't getting 105 speeds.

Yeah, as a new sub you'll need a D3.0 device that is capable of the speed and not a D2.0 device. If someone owns a D2.0 device and their tier is upgraded to 50 or 105, then you'll get an email asking you to upgrade your device.

Agree!

The other part is the router. The comcast rep asked me about my router and I told him that it could handle the extra speed. I knew my router could do it, and I am sure some users would just say that not knowing the facts. I don't expect Comcast to know every router. They should tell the customer that the router is just as important as the modem. So if the customer isn't seeing the speeds, then they know where to look (hopefully) instead of blaming Comcast for not getting what they were provisioned for.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

2 edits

BimmerE38FN to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
Looks like you made front page, hehe.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Wow I'm famous !

I forwarded a link to that article to this "Executive Support" rep. Can't wait to see if he responds to me or not.

As for the article. I still have not been contacted by anyone regarding this issue.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by ExoticFish:

Wow I'm famous !

I forwarded a link to that article to this "Executive Support" rep. Can't wait to see if he responds to me or not.

As for the article. I still have not been contacted by anyone regarding this issue.

I'm very curious to see the end result of this. I hope you get a huge apology, some credit and be the spearhead that gets scripts like this dated for use to a certain time, and when things change, the script gets changed with it to allow for happenings like retail modems that are perfectly capable of 105/20+
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Yeah, I'm not sure what the outcome will be. An apology and credit would be much appreciated for having to deal with this. If they really want to make me happy they'll take some sort of action against the rude rep who refused to help me because I did not rent a modem from them.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by ExoticFish:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the outcome will be. An apology and credit would be much appreciated for having to deal with this. If they really want to make me happy they'll take some sort of action against the rude rep who refused to help me because I did not rent a modem from them.

Yes, I agree. May they be reprimanded. Old info or not, you shouldn't treat a customer like that when they are willing to give you 40 more a month for a top package and already have a modem/router specifically capable of it.

Things like the 40 extra a month, (I could deal with that if I really wanted) the bogus 250 install (Which was knocked down to 60 all told for my area and really don't need a tech since my modem and signals are all good.) keep me from upgrading right now. I'll wait for the freebie when it comes to Blast and see what Extreme is upgraded to. (I hope with the 16x4-24x8 modems spreading, it's 250/50)

salterbomb
join:2003-10-18
Pearland, TX

salterbomb to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
You're also the top post on the front page of Ars:

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· -modems/
GoodOmens
join:2005-07-06
Washington, DC

GoodOmens

said by salterbomb:

Ha they picked out some gems from this thread as quotes.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to salterbomb

to salterbomb
Nice. I'm also available for interviews. Lmao

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to GoodOmens

to GoodOmens
said by GoodOmens:

said by salterbomb:

Hey, at least they chose to put in a quote about the "magically" reappearing modem rental charges; hopefully more publicity will be good for that.
GoodOmens
join:2005-07-06
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

GoodOmens

said by train_wreck:

said by GoodOmens:

said by salterbomb:

Hey, at least they chose to put in a quote about the "magically" reappearing modem rental charges; hopefully more publicity will be good for that.

If I were a betting man - they will mention they'll look into it. Which they probably will. But do nothing on what they find ha.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

I just got an automated call from Comcast saying they hope they've resolved any issues I've had but if not please feel free to contact them.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
Would be nice to talk to a human voice though...
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Yep. Still waiting. Calling the number back simply puts me through to general support. Not wasting any more of my time with that.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

I just got an automated call from Comcast saying they hope they've resolved any issues I've had but if not please feel free to contact them.

Unacceptable. Call em' back and give them an earful. Or better yet, PM Jason and say what's up? That can't be what was meant by getting in touch with you and getting this matter resolved.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Who exactly is Jason ?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by ExoticFish:

Who exactly is Jason ?

»/profi ··· /1498458
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Ah okay. Wasn't aware of his real name.

If I do not hear from someone I will send him a PM. I've also kindly tweeted the links to @ComcastCares to inform them.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
No wonder they make it to the top of the Consumerist survey for most hated company.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

Ah okay. Wasn't aware of his real name.

If I do not hear from someone I will send him a PM. I've also kindly tweeted the links to @ComcastCares to inform them.

Yes. Jason Livingood. What a name, but it is true. And he is the main man in engineering. Getting a simple robocall to end a problem isn't what I'd call "investigating the entire incident end to end." as Jason said. So I hope you get satisfaction. And do spread this out, get some huge exposure on it so this issue gets solved and no one else has to go through this. (Though, I bet we will since not everyone got the memo that "we don't do that anymore. Those requirements are 4 years old!"

Be interesting to see who else picks this up and how far it spreads.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Yeah. I'm trying to get the word out now that it's gotten some positive attention.

In the meantime I guess I'll just sit and wait for a phone call for the next day or two.