spc
Search similar:

uniqs
itch
join:2008-12-06
Louisville, KY

itch

[Help] 2002 blazer hard to start

My 2002 Chevy blazer is hard to start some mornings. It will take 4 to 5 times to turn the key to start. Later in the day it will only take 1 turn to start. Any suggestions on my problem would be helpful.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

If you provide some further detail on what the symptom(s) are we can probably be more helpful. When you turn the key does anything happen? Does the starter engage? Is the engine turning? Any unusual behavior, noises, etc?

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to itch

Premium Member

to itch
I know it's not much help but,sounds like something may be affected by the cooler temps of the morning,or the fuel pump becomes unprimed (for lack of a better word) after sitting over night.
itch
Louisville, KY

itch

I have not had a tune up in over a year, could this be part of them problem? Blazer sits on a small incline over night also.

divide
@comcast.net

divide to itch

Anon

to itch
folks are asking for more details because there are lots of possible places where things could go wrong.

here are some answers, without knowing the facts:

when temps change, hot to cold, or cold to hot, the battery terminals often don't make proper connections, cause they are corroded and separated. cleaning them and retightening them fixes that.

sometimes the keyswitch itself, or the solenoid connected between it and the starter, can be intermittent. you can check that with a voltmeter, or manually by wiggling the key or by tapping/wiggling the solenoid and connections.

a low weak battery will result in the clicking sound, but no startering, can stop the starting. check that the battery is at 12.4 to 12.6 volts. loose or corroded connections can also cause clicking. test by wiggling the connections while starting.

specifically, what happens on your first early key movement? nothing? clicking but no startering?
starter turning but no engine turning? starter and engine turning but no ignition/running?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by divide :

a low weak battery will result in the clicking sound, but no startering, can stop the starting. check that the battery is at 12.4 to 12.6 volts.

A good battery should be 12.6 Volts or above under no load, Lower than 12.6 Volts is a battery that is discharging.

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

1 recommendation

bmilone2 to itch

to itch
When I read the OP's initial post I assumed he meant that in the morning he sometimes had to crank the motor 4 or five times (for an unstated period of time each attempt) prior to it starting, but later start attempts during the day it started immediately.

Until he clarifies that point it is probably useless to start throwing "solutions" into the thread.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by bmilone2:

When I read the OP's initial post I assumed he meant that in the morning he sometimes had to crank the motor 4 or five times (for an unstated period of time each attempt) prior to it starting, but later start attempts during the day it started immediately.

Until he clarifies that point it is probably useless to start throwing "solutions" into the thread.

battery has a internal fault . some GM cars are *very* picky on the charge level of the battery

my car if the battery level was at 70% it would act like the battery was dead. turned out it was a faulty battery..
Anonymous_

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

you should register hiding behind being unregistered is just a troll
china-mart battery can't get the job done

but it would be good to get the battery load tested

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

1 recommendation

bmilone2

Why would you make any suggestions without even knowing the facts in this case? The OP has to advise if the car cranks when he turns the ignition or does nothing. The readers can decide who is or isn't a troll in this matter.

Since the OP has not provided more specific information maybe the Mods should close this topic because it has the great possibility of becoming a senseless argument.
itch
Louisville, KY

itch

I changed my air filter and put STP gas treatment in my gas tank when I filled my car up yesterday and now the Blazer starts with no problem. Thanks to some of the suggestions.