TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to ExoticFish

[Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

said by ExoticFish:

· Conduct an in-depth analysis of the customer network.

LOL. What happens if this supposedly well-trained tech is faced with something besides POS consumer network gear? :P

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by TAZ:

said by ExoticFish:

LOL. What happens if this supposedly well-trained tech is faced with something besides POS consumer network gear? :P

Makes me wonder how many Linksys WRT54Gs are still out there that will definitely be blown away by the 50/105 upgrades.

In that case, I could rental units helping, but we tech savvy people don't like those gateways a lot of the time and don't want one. Especially when our N or better routers cost an arm and leg and often work better then the gateway units in so many ways.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Chris 313:

Makes me wonder how many Linksys WRT54Gs are still out there that will definitely be blown away by the 50/105 upgrades.

Trust me, judging by the amount I see day to day in my line of work, the number is "lots"

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Trust me, judging by the amount I see day to day in my line of work, the number is "lots"

That's sad. But joe customer needs to wake up and realize that the Wireless G of 10 years ago is no longer able to keep up and must be updated. I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Me on the other hand, along with most that frequent this site, know better and want our own things, configured how it works best for our network, eh?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Our neighborhood is barren of WRT54Gs :P. With over 130 wireless networks found from my house, not one were a WRT54G .

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by Darknessfall:

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

Our neighborhood is barren of WRT54Gs :P. With over 130 wireless networks found from my house, not one were a WRT54G .

Where do you live? Maybe your neighborhood is a little more tech inclined then most?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

4 edits

1 recommendation

I live in secretville . I'm in CT though. Here's my little network word file I keep . I don't include the AT&T G 2wires in my list though usually. SSIDs are removed. I group the Comcast gateways together. I include the SSID, max rate, channel, and brand :P. Most people use their ISP gateways. My list got a little scrambled when I copy/pasted.

N144/1(2wire)
N130/6(2wire)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/6(Motorola)
G/11(Belkin)
G/11(Belkin)
N300/157+161(Cisco)
N300/157+161(Cisco)
N300/36+40(Cisco)
N65/6(Linksys)
N270/1(Arris)
N150/2+6 (Netgear)
N144/11(Linksys)
N150/1+5 (Belkin)
N144/1(NETGEAR)
G/1 (Netgear)
G/1(Netgear)
N72/11(Belkin)
N300/36+40(Belkin)
N65/1 (Netgear)
B/2 (Cisco Systems)
N150/2+6(Netgear)
N65/11(Netgear)
N405/10(Arris)
G/1(Netgear)
G/11(Belkin)
G/6(Netgear)
G/11(Netgear)
N130/2(Arris)
N130/3(Arris)
N216/1(Technicolor)
N216/11(Technicolor)
N130/10(Arris)
N216/1(Technicolor)
N270/1 (Arris)
N130/2(Arris)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N216/6(Cisco)
N216/11(Technicolor)
N216/11 (Technicolor)
N300/11+7 (Hawking Edimax)
N144/11(Actiontec, FiOS router)
N130/6(Netgear)
N144/1(Linksys)
N150/6+10(NETGEAR)
N144/1(Roku)
G/1(HP)
N450/11(SMC)
N130/6(2WIRE)
n130/2(NETGEAR)
G/6(TP-Link)
N130/2(NETGEAR)
n150/1(NETGEAR)
N/1(Netgear)
N/11(Belkin)
N/11(Netgear)
N/6(Linksys)
N144/1(Motorola)
N144/1(Unknown)
N65/11(NETGEAR)
N130/11(Arris)

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Bingo. Easy, simple, 1 box instead of 2. Less to think about/manage/troubleshoot when invariably things go wrong or are less than satisfactory. I suppose to many folks out there, that's worth 8 bucks a month. Even then, 8$/month = $96/year = $192/2 years, etc., versus a one-time ~$80 investment...

And on the WRT54G thing, i'd be willing to bet many of those owners may have been upgraded already to a speed their router can't handle; I doubt many of them notice or care. As i've said before on here, you can do a lot with 25mbps, particularly if you're not the most technically inclined.

Still, i do cringe when I see WRT54Gs or D2 modems laying about

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

I guess for joe customer, using the cable co's solution of the all in one gateway works.

Bingo. Easy, simple, 1 box instead of 2. Less to think about/manage/troubleshoot when invariably things go wrong or are less than satisfactory. I suppose to many folks out there, that's worth 8 bucks a month. Even then, 8$/month = $96/year = $192/2 years, etc., versus a one-time ~$80 investment...

And on the WRT54G thing, i'd be willing to bet many of those owners may have been upgraded already to a speed their router can't handle; I doubt many of them notice or care. As i've said before on here, you can do a lot with 25mbps, particularly if you're not the most technically inclined.

Yes, I agree with what you said. The more tech inclined will do as we have done and resist renting again at all costs, while the Gateway solution is there for everyone else. And I definitely agree with you there. I pushed my WRT54G as far as it would go, (about 33/12) and unknown to me, I could've waited a further 2 months since the 50/10 upgrade wasn't stable yet, before buying my Asus RT-N66U and saving a overall 20 bucks on what I spent.

And while 25 is nothing to sneeze at, I cling to every dollar I have and want the best out of all my gear. Especially since I'm a power user and have all my stuff lit up and working at all hours, at any time. If I pay for 50/10, I'm well gonna see that I get it, or be tracking down the issue as to why I'm not.

And you're not the only one who cringes. Just for giggles, I was on Ebay this morning, looking for the engineering samples of the Moto 6183 16x4 modems some have bought and are using on TWC connections, only to find none, and instead found a buttload of D2 modems. I feel very sorry for whoever gets suckered into buying one of those, given the coming 50/105+ upgrades and decides to cheap out.

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

Hey now...I still have a WRT54GL in service on my 50/10 blast connection!

(Okay, admittedly my entire network is wired, and I have a separate N router for wireless convenience. The WRT has been relagated to "guest only" duties, and is throttled to 10/2 by my main wired only router)

-Alan

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by FirebirdTN:

said by train_wreck:

(Okay, admittedly my entire network is wired, and I have a separate N router for wireless convenience. The WRT has been relagated to "guest only" duties, and is throttled to 10/2 by my main wired only router)

-Alan

Well, sure. Guess we could say we only meant that comment for those who use 54Gs as main routers for everything and wonder why they don't get full speed off them. I'm thinking of putting my 54GL back into service as a switch or a guest router as well.

If you're not using it as a main, or at full speed, I guess you have nothing to need to complain about. Unlike some others out there. How does the set up work for you?

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Chris 313:

How does the set up work for you?

Works well. I could not be happier.

OP: Is there no recourse? Can you not tell this guy that you are not satisfied with his level of customer service and request to talk to his supervisor? (I'm not being sarcastic, I am sincerely asking if this is a possibility).

I looked at the information he provided on the previous page, and I agree with the other posters-that looks more like a "service marketing" pamphlet than an actual policy.

-EDIT- The FAQ section does seem pretty concrete, but wasn't that back when Extreme 105 was the top tier? Now that 200mb service has hit the streets, does that even still apply?

-Alan

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
reply to FirebirdTN

said by FirebirdTN:

said by train_wreck:

-Alan

We still have a WRT54G too! Plus a DOCSIS 3 eMTA. It's going to suck when we get upgraded to 50 Mbps.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to FirebirdTN

said by FirebirdTN:

said by Chris 313:

OP: Is there no recourse? Can you not tell this guy that you are not satisfied with his level of customer service and request to talk to his supervisor? (I'm not being sarcastic, I am sincerely asking if this is a possibility).

I looked at the information he provided on the previous page, and I agree with the other posters-that looks more like a "service marketing" pamphlet than an actual policy.

-EDIT- The FAQ section does seem pretty concrete, but wasn't that back when Extreme 105 was the top tier? Now that 200mb service has hit the streets, does that even still apply?

-Alan

Good I'm glad to hear that you've made an ancient and useless by current standards, but still working unit, work for you in some form.

Planning to use it until it dies?

And ya know, reading things makes me wonder if they aren't doing this because 250/50 is coming out nationwide as the new Extreme package and there are no legit 16x4 modems out for retail yet?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to jm101

said by jm101:

said by FirebirdTN:

said by train_wreck:

-Alan

We still have a WRT54G too! Plus a DOCSIS 3 eMTA. It's going to suck when we get upgraded to 50 Mbps.

Time to start shopping for a new one for when it hits. See my post here about the router section: »Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Hope that'll help you.

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA

said by Chris 313:

Time to start shopping for a new one for when it hits. See my post here about the router section: »Re: [Speed] Comcast 2014 Side Discussion about Doubling Speeds

Hope that'll help you.

Thanks! The only problem is that we currently still have several G-devices. Will these slow down the entire network?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

said by FirebirdTN:

said by Chris 313:

-Alan

there are no legit 16x4 modems out for retail yet?

Technically, the SBG6782 gateway is 16x4, but is limited to 8x4 . The C6300 gateway and the SB6183 are probably coming soon though(to retail).

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to jm101

said by jm101:

said by Chris 313:

Hope that'll help you.

Thanks! The only problem is that we currently still have several G-devices. Will these slow down the entire network?

I don't know much about that, but If I remember correctly, if you have the right router, any device below what your router is, will be limited to those speeds. G is still G and so on.

If you would like to PM me, we can talk about this further without cluttering the thread here.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

Technically, the SBG6782 gateway is 16x4, but is limited to 8x4 . The C6300 gateway and the SB6183 are probably coming soon though(to retail).

Yes, it makes me wonder if any 16x4 capable unit will get a FW upgrade, making it 16x4 now.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

said by TAZ:

said by ExoticFish:

Lot's of spontaneously combusting routers I imagine. Good thing the WRT1900AC is coming out soon lol
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Darknessfall

Darknessfall I want that software you use because that's pretty awesome.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

said by Chris 313:

I have a WRT54G revision 8 laying around for posterity's sake and surprisingly on the wired side it supports my 57/11 I see from speedtests. I think the older revisions can't handle the speeds though.
--

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 recommendation

When they upgrade blast to 105 are they going to offer us the same service since we will have 105 also ?
Also is everyone with blast going to have to rent a comcast modem/router to get 105 down?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I dont think anything has changed, The OP stated he started having problems after purchasing his modem. The comcast rep clearly suspects his problem is do to his modem and took steps insisting its his owned modems issue. They always took that approach when problems arose after modem swaps to customer owned modems. In other words the rep clearly feels his problem is related to his modem.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

Also is everyone with blast going to have to rent a comcast modem/router to get 105 down?

Good point. The modem rental fee may be what they are planning to use to offset the cost of people not paying the extra cost of the 105 tier.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS

said by pende_tim:

Good point. The modem rental fee may be what they are planning to use to offset the cost of people not paying the extra cost of the 105 tier

What do you think it costs them? More? Then why and by how much.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by davidc502:

What do you think it costs them? More? Then why and by how much.

It does not cost Comcast significantly more (aside from initial support to get nodes up to snuff ) to provide 105 service than 50 service. However they were charging more for the 105 service and thus in the long run were making more money selling the 105 service.

Since people are not having to pay extra for this higher speed, there is a revenue loss to Comcast. I am speculating that charging for the modem may be a way to capture some of the lost revenue.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Darknessfall I want that software you use because that's pretty awesome.

I like inSSIDer for finding and identifying WiFi access points.

Unfortunately, inSSIDer recently went to version 4, which is no longer free.

If you look around hard enough, inSSIDer 3 is still available for download. (e.g., »www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-···der.html )

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to pende_tim

I would like to think they'd keep the nodes up to snuff regardless, wouldn't you?
--

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I have a WRT54G revision 8 laying around for posterity's sake and surprisingly on the wired side it supports my 57/11 I see from speedtests. I think the older revisions can't handle the speeds though.

Actually, I just lent my v.4 WRT54G to my brother and his wife because I picked up a ASUS RT-N66U, and they've got Blast speeds on the wired side (like 50/10) through that thing paired with an SB6121. Unfortunately their wireless spectrum is rather crowded because they're renting a town house so they only get around 16 down over wireless G.