All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Crzyrio
join:2007-02-01
Mississauga, ON

Crzyrio

What is going on with my Internet Connection?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi,

I am currently on Bell Internet 5/0.6 but it has been really slow lately. Fibe is not available in my area yet, it is delayed till Sept 2014.

I did a speedtest and my speeds seem to be all over the place going as high as 60Mbps and low as 0.65Mbps with pings of 500+

I am still on the phone with Tech support doing the usual reset this try that and on hold to be transferred to Level 2 now. Anyone have any ideas? I am guessing they are working on the lines nearby?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Try another browser.
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to Crzyrio

to Crzyrio
If Fibe-labelled services aren't available to you, then 56Mb/s is a technical impossibility. Try running speedtest from another device. If you have a smartphone, speedtest.net has an excellent app.

Are you using wifi when you run these tests? If the channel you're using is very busy you will see very strange results. Try hardwiring your laptop to the modem and see if that changes anything.

You might be at 5/0.6, but 500ms ping latency is impossibly bad.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Crzyrio

to Crzyrio
Try a different browser or better yet a different device. That speed is physically impossible on an adsl connection so it's obviously either something screwy with that speedtest server or your device.

That ping time is awful though but it could be related to what I just said.
Crzyrio
Mississauga, ON

Crzyrio

said by btech805:

Try a different browser or better yet a different device. That speed is physically impossible on an adsl connection so it's obviously either something screwy with that speedtest server or your device.

That ping time is awful though but it could be related to what I just said.

Well we don't have Fibe 'yet' but they have already installed a 7330 down the street and it has a meter on it, so I was guessing they are doing some work?

The really weird thing is this happens almost everyday around the same time and then goes back to normal. Yesterday I was on the phone with them doing the regular test's and after about half hour everything went back to normal and no problems.

I am unsure about the speed but I know for sure the ping is right, I can see it when I play any game or even website loads take a couple seconds before actually loading.

I did not think of trying this on my phone, I will try that next time to confirm what I am getting.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

I "hate" java but you could try one of the java based testers on this site. If you have the more recent versions of Java you may have to add this site to your trusted system lists for the test to operate.

Rain, salt, snowplow ripped open a bell box, the possibilities are endless. If Tier 2 does nothing for you, though I would expect they might send a tech, contact Bell direct »Bell Canada Direct
Crzyrio
Mississauga, ON

Crzyrio

And its happening again lol.

I have run the Java Applet, speedtest from 2 laptops and from phone. Ran speedtest using the bell modem wifi and the Asus rt-ac68u.

All show Ping > 500 and speeds of about 2.5Mbps
Crzyrio

Crzyrio

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but finally had this resolved.

After months of on and off fluctuations, I hassled bell into sending a tech.

Tech came checked, found the problem within an hour and everything back to normal
turns out my house was connected to 2 different lines somehow, so he corrected that and all is good now.