Boyce, LA

1 edit

dd31879

Suddenlink Internet Issues

Click for full size
pingplot 12hr view
Click for full size
pingplot 3hr view
So to preface this, I have had an ongoing issue for about the last month and a half to 2 months. That issue being that every evening the internet all of the sudden will turn into garbage. I literally mean that too. It will slow to a crawl and gives me disconnects.

I have had a tech out here numerous times, and today a supervisor even came to my house. no matter who it is they all verify that my lines up to the pole have zero issues.

what am i to do to get some decent service?
dd31879

1 edit

dd31879

here is an updated view of the suddenlink pingplot in 48hr view mode. i made it a little larger. maybe its easier to read.

edit:
deleted image.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to dd31879

Premium Member

to dd31879
PP has an internal option to make a copy of its screen, and it makes actual size copies. Just use copy as image, then cut/paste it into paint, and save it. These are way to small to see much of anything.

Then you should get a hold of SDL L3Tech See Profile and give him your modems mac address, and your public IP, and direct him to this thread.

Good luck, keep us posted.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to dd31879

Premium Member

to dd31879
The node you are on is probably congested during peak times and Suddenlink either needs to upgrade the bandwidth going to the node to relieve congestion or split the node up.

Can you post your current signal stats just for kicks?
dd31879
join:2013-02-27
Boyce, LA

3 edits

dd31879 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by gatorkram:

PP has an internal option to make a copy of its screen, and it makes actual size copies. Just use copy as image, then cut/paste it into paint, and save it. These are way to small to see much of anything.

the image i posted yesterday was a fullscreen pingplot so dslreport must be doing something to it. its also the right size when i look at it in my photobucket.

edit:
found out the reason is dslreport policy on "img" tags.
also, i updated the other images on the thread so they should be showing the right size now.
said by B4Knight:

Can you post your current signal stats just for kicks?

sure.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
Does PP standard have the option to click File, save sample set? If so, can you attach it to this thread or upload it to a free file hosting site and link it to me via PM?

If not, would you re-post the image above with hop 1 graphed as well?

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to dd31879

Premium Member

to dd31879
According to this picture your upstream power level is dipping kind of low. My ISP (Charter) would consider that out of spec, as in spec for upstream/return is between 35dBmV-50dBmV. Maybe Suddenlink has different specs?? Different systems have different limits that they can handle so I may be wrong. If I were you I would also call in and ask what your upstream SNR (Signal to Noise ratio) is at the time that you start experiencing issues. If it's lower than 25dB then I would have that fixed as that indicates that there is noise leaking in somewhere along the line. Ideally you want your upstream SNR to be 30dB or above
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
suddenlink.c···.pp2.zip
172,096 bytes
suddenlink.com sample set
said by SDL L3Tech:

Does PP standard have the option to click File, save sample set? If so, can you attach it to this thread or upload it to a free file hosting site and link it to me via PM?

If not, would you re-post the image above with hop 1 graphed as well?

yes, it has "save sample set"
here it is.
said by B4Knight:

According to this picture your upstream power level is dipping kind of low. My ISP (Charter) would consider that out of spec, as in spec for upstream/return is between 35dBmV-50dBmV. Maybe Suddenlink has different specs??

i dont know how many times ive told support i think the signal levels are low
i remember, maybe a year ago, my signal was around 41-42 on the upload. i didnt have any issues back then. not saying there arent other problems, but that is definitely something that i think could be an issue.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
»i.imgur.com/uVUZURr.png

I am concerned that your own router showed packet-loss at the same time, though admittedly for a lesser duration.

Please keep PP running and post the updated sample set the next time you experience the problem.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

said by SDL L3Tech:

I am concerned that your own router showed packet-loss at the same time, though admittedly for a lesser duration.

i thought you might say something about that. if you notice though the loss on my side starts well after the other stuff. what it is, is that i powercycled the modem to get the internet back up and it shows a brief period where there is no connection since the modem is rebooting.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

I did notice. However, if you did not power cycle your router, only the modem, then your router should not have lost any packets. Unless you have a combo modem/router which yours does not seem to be according to the all knowing Google .

Again, I said it was a concern, not the actual problem. I have not given up.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
said by SDL L3Tech:

Please keep PP running and post the updated sample set the next time you experience the problem.

here is the updated samples. it just did it again, this time i didnt reset the modem and left it running. at the end though you will see the same kind of packet loss on my hop 1 for a shorter time, that is when the modem reset itself and internet began working again after that.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
I too have PP running to your modem and starting at about 12:33pm central time it stopped responding to the private IP that we assign it. I could not ping it from the CMTS (cable modem router).

However, I have the ability to perform a "docsis" ping which communicates to the modem on the docsis level instead of layer 3 (IP). While I could not ping the private IP, I could ping the modem with a docsis ping with 0 packet-loss. This tells me that the RF side (signal and such) to the modem is working fine but the modem itself stopped paying IP traffic. I issued a reset of the modem (which it received and performed, also indicating it was still online just fine) and now I can ping the IP of it again.

I was also pinging two of your neighbor's modems and saw 0 packet-loss to them.

All of this leads me to believe that the modem itself may be bad. So the next step is to replace it. If it is a rental, please bring it back to us and swap it. If it is not a rental, I would suggest getting a rental temporarily to verify my diagnosis. If this resolves the problem and you own the original modem, purchase a new one and give the rental back. Be sure to buy one that supports 8 channel bonding. The CMTS you're only has 4 at the moment but will be upgraded to 8 later on.

CMTK01#ping (ip removed) repeat 1000000
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 1000000, 100-byte ICMP Echos to (ip removed), timeout is 2 seconds:
..............................................................!!!!!!!!
(___________I sent a reset about here /\ )
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Docsis ping: (when the one above was timing out)
CMTK01#ping docsis (mac removed) repeat 100
Queueing 10000 MAC-layer station maintenance intervals, timeout is 25 msec:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (52/52)
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

said by SDL L3Tech:

All of this leads me to believe that the modem itself may be bad. So the next step is to replace it.

theres a real problem with that statement though. my SB6120 i had before this modem did exactly the same thing. this modem is brand new. its not been on my account but a few days and its still doing the same thing. it is a SB6121 modem.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
P.S. that timeout to your router is still odd. With your modem powered off and disconnected, your router should still respond to pings from your internal network without loss. I am not sure if I have seen that before. :shrugs:
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

said by SDL L3Tech:

that timeout to your router is still odd. With your modem powered off and disconnected, your router should still respond to pings from your internal network without loss.

here is a tracert i did during the outage, because you said you thought it was odd before

Tracing route to 208.47.185.205 over a maximum of 18 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
Can you log into the modem and pull the log? I would like to compare it to the modem log I can pull from it. The one I can see does not show any new events for the outage that just occurred.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

said by SDL L3Tech:

Can you log into the modem and pull the log? I would like to compare it to the modem log I can pull from it. The one I can see does not show any new events for the outage that just occurred.

ok, i PMd you the links to the logs i have.
dd31879

dd31879 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
here is another sample since it happened again. i called the phone support team and they said its because its plugged into a surge protector. they say its because the modem is a "power hog". in my book 12v/.75A is not a power hog though.

i plugged the modem directly into the wall anyway just to satisfy them. maybe it will work, who knows. definitely will find out sometime tonight or tomorrow when it would presumably go out again.

the small red strip after the longer one is from the unplugging it and then plugging it into the wall.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

I don't know about the power hog comment but knowing that neighboring modems do not lose connectivity and yours does not lose RF connectivity (docsis pings still worked), just IP connectivity, it has to be something local to your home, drop, or something very close to where it's not affecting anyone else that I can find.

My PP to your modem has not shown another event since the 12pm one yesterday. (until you removed power from it a little while ago). I'll continue to monitor it.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

is it possible that it has something to do with the suddenlink system in the way of the modem is trying to renew the IP lease, but for some reason it cant. the time on the occurrences just makes me ask that.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

Your modem log did not show any events relating to DHCP during the event I was able to see. Also, I would think that if the system was triggering it, we would hear more complaints about it. I am pinging 4 other 6121 modems on your node and have yet to see them do the same thing.

Still lookin...
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

It looks like the internet is out again. I was out for a while so I was not around when it started, but ping plotter says 1:08pm. The modem log doesnt say anything useful.
dd31879

1 edit

dd31879

internet appears to be back up again. pingplotter says it came back up at 2:26pm.

the modem log says this:
Mar 28 2014 14:16:08 5-Warning B301.2 Auth Reject - No Information

Mar 28 2014 14:16:08 5-Warning B302.6 Auth Invalid - Invalid Key Sequence Number

edit:
attached updated pingplotter sample set.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

1 edit

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
I believe I have found the problem. It appears another customer's equipment was randomly ARP'ing IPs that belonged to other modems. As soon as I cleared the ARP from their modem, your modem started pinging again. I do not know if that other customer is during on purpose or if it's just a bug in their equipment but I have shutdown their modem. We are reaching out to them so they can troubleshoot their equipment.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

glad to hear that you may have found the cause. i will keep watching pingplotter and see if the issues happen again.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to dd31879

to dd31879
Update: The other customer made a change on their network and we have reactivate their modem. Everything looks good for now. I'll keep an eye on it.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879

It just went out so it looks like its not resolved yet

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Bummer man. Hope they get it sorted for you.

Good luck, keep us posted.
dd31879
Boyce, LA

dd31879 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
it hasnt went out again like it was doing since the last occurance on 4/1. possible that issue is fixed.

however, i am noticing a whole lot of packet loss in plots and even some unusually high latency. i know it cant be my lines. the technicians that came out here replaced everything. the entire drop from the pole to my house was replaced and the one going from the box to my modem was replaced.