Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Ear Pods disapering bass

Just recently the bass response in my ear pods has disappeared. I know any in ear earphone will have diminished bass in comparison to full size phones but I know the bass sound I've had since buying them and it's gone. The rest sounds clean so it's not like the drivers are shredded.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Perhaps a loose/fatigued wire between the buds and the jack?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to Andy from CA

EQ settings most likely ...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Andy from CA

Yeah, my original EarPods (bought shortly after they came out) have lost much of their bass. and I did not abuse them with overplaying heavy bass, and they also do not crackle or distort (like the old Apple Earbuds used to), just much less bass.

Compared to the yet unused EarPods that came with my iPhone5 (i am waiting for the current ones to die completely before i use the others) the bass difference is very noticeable.
--

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA
reply to Andy from CA

The ear buds that came with my 3GS fell apart after a couple month of use while these just dropped the bass. Apple seriously needs to realize their reputation as a superior hardware company does extend to their ear buds. Otherwise we may need to go to other manufacturers for a good sounding headphone for our iStuff.

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada

1 edit
reply to Andy from CA

Water damage.

Soak in 99% alcohol, dry them.

Bass should return.
Lol...damn you auto-correct!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

But I'm looking for more bass! (boom... boom... ba-boom... boom)

AppleGuy
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to Andy from CA

I'm going to say that the EarPods are dirty and have gunk (mostly water residue) inside.
Yes, I lost my bass, they started sounding tinny. Gave them a good cleaning in 99% isopropanol alcohol. The alcohol won't warm electronics as long as you get the stuff that doesn't contain water. (1% water should be okay)

It's worth a shot since alcohol is cheap enough. It's not going to make them sound any worse. Just make sure you soak and shake for a long enough time to clean out water residue and gunk and dust and crap. Once that crap is removed, the EarPods should sound okay.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Really?
--

AppleGuy
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms

Did I say that alcohol won't "warm" electronics? I mean ruin.

Anyway, yes, alcohol should do the trick if that is what is causing the issue.

Alcohol (99%) is also recommended if you drop you smartphone in water. It'll remove the water, and alcohol can't conduct electricity at all, so if phone has any chance of survival, it should come back.

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA
reply to Andy from CA

I got my bass back. Basically I found every grill and sucked on it a bit and BAM the boom is BACK!

Thanks to all who posted on this thread, my fellow fanboyz.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I bet that was delicious...

said by Andy from CA:

I got my bass back. Basically I found every grill and sucked on it a bit and BAM the boom is BACK!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

LOL, i wasnt gonna do that...

But i did take a closer look, and compared to the brand new ones, I didn't see the mesh in the port facing the inner ear... Basically it was plugged with lint (i keep them in jacket pocket most of the time). took some qtips and dipped them in 99% alcohol and cleaned them up and presto the bass is back and much clearer sound also.

They're clean now and you can see two round canals behind the mesh.
--

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

Lint is always a big problem with devices that go into pockets...it gets into all those small spaces! I carry my iPhone in a belt holster nearly 100% of the time, so don't usually have this issue, but even then, I've noticed some buildup over time.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by buckingham:

Lint is always a big problem with devices that go into pockets...it gets into all those small spaces! I carry my iPhone in a belt holster nearly 100% of the time, so don't usually have this issue, but even then, I've noticed some buildup over time.

Yeah, I recently had to clean my lightning port connector, because it would not charge anymore... blowing into it did not help anymore. i took a thin toothpick and carefully picked out so much lint i was amazed...

Thats one downside to the lightning port. It's deep and narrow, crap tends to gets packed down. I've never had this issue with iPods/iPhones with the old 30 pin dock connector.
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

The ear buds that came with my 3GS fell apart after a couple month of use while these just dropped the bass. Apple seriously needs to realize their reputation as a superior hardware company does extend to their ear buds. Otherwise we may need to go to other manufacturers for a good sounding headphone for our iStuff.

this photo explains a lot
--
Live Free or Die Hard...