All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
montecarlo1
join:2013-11-24
Binghamton, NY

montecarlo1

Can A Router's Relatively Low RAM/Flash Mem. Produce Greater Internet Drops?

Hello. I have a question to ask you.

I own the Netgear WNR2000v2 router. It has a RAM/Flash memory of 32MB/4MB. Can this relatively lower RAM/Flash memory capability of this particular router (contrast to current higher and more resource demanding router models with higher specs) create the potential likelihood for an increased frequency of Internet drops while watching HD live streaming compared to routers that have a greater RAM/Flash memory (example: 64/8)?

I need your response from the outputs of:

1. hardwired (Ethernet) connections?

2. wireless N300 2.4GHz transmissions?

NOTE: All other external factors being equal or relatively equal like network hardware device usage, specs., settings and configurations. A broadband Internet cable transmission is the ISP source.

Please reply. If you wish to explain, please do.

Thank you!

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

Hagar

Potential likelihood, what broadband speed are we talking about?

I give two answer pick the one that you like best.

No,
i used device with less RAM that had no issues at decent speeds.

Yes,
The issue is not the RAM but that there are bugs in the firmware/software. There are always bugs but the quality of firmware/software on cheap routers seams to get worse and worse.

There might be a third possibility you have flaky hardware, maybe temperature related or power supply issues.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall to montecarlo1

MVM

to montecarlo1
I used to have a Linksys WRT54G that had a low quantity of RAM and a lot of "connections", i.e. when downloading/uploading a torrent, would cause it lock up. I don't think a single video stream would be the same and shouldn't be a problem.

Wired vs wireless shouldn't matter presuming the wireless signal is strong and free of interference (also presuming it's not a 10Mb/s speed).