The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Wait what?

How would this in the end "lower prices for consumers" when they can charge -whatever they want- for access to different parts of the web?

I.E You don't have the Streaming Package, thats an extra $59.99 plus Streaming Technology Fee of $9.99, without this no Youtube, no Netflix, No Hulu, no iTunes Movies.

The above is the worst case scenario, but I can see how offering a shitty throttled service vs a service that tries to perform decently with the rest of the net is cheaper, for them.

They need to re-breakup AT&T, its too big. Just like they need to break up VZ. The RBOCs should have never been allowed to become wireless carriers. I am absolutely convinced that their wireless cash-cow is the problem with regards to wire-line quality. Why deploy FTTP when you can sell overpriced LTE?

rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

What they mean to say is the consumer's cost for their broadband connection could be lower because the cost of providing that connection would be shifted to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc. However, competition for OTT services is much more vibrant than for connection services. History proves that competition leads to innovation and innovation makes things cheaper. It's unlikely the cost for the service that lacks competition will be reduced. More likely, it will not increase (as much) whereas the OTT service will increase to the point that it matches other OTT services offered by the company providing the connection service.

IMO -- this is all a lot of chess moves designed to prepare us for the day when traditional video disappears and it's all OTT. Those who earn revenue from traditional video will be well positioned because Netflix will have to charge $59.99/month to cover their delivery fees thereby allowing much more price flexibility to carrier-provided video options.