spc
Search similar:

uniqs
philow
join:2014-03-25

philow to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: VLAN configuration on MI424WR Gen 3 Rev. I

@Thinkdiff and @dennismurphy THANK YOU for all your help here!!! Is there a way I can give Kudos or thanks to you in the Forum?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by philow:

Is there a way I can give Kudos or thanks to you in the Forum?

Yes. You can recommend a post by clicking on actions, then recommend.

You can give kudos by going to the user's page (click on the user's name) then click on the give kudos link.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to philow

MVM,

to philow
Not necessary, but definitely appreciated. Glad it's (somewhat) working now

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to philow

Mod

to philow
bumping it up for scott123
scott123
join:2013-08-17
Morristown, NJ

scott123 to philow

to philow
Sashwa, thanks.

To everyone that's participated in this thread (and anyone that's encountered the same problem), have you found a way to create a vlan that's ported to an vlan-unaware device (a windows xp box)?

I spent all day yesterday and half of today testing every possible permutation that I could think of. I can't believe that previous Gens/Revs of this router provide this functionality, but the newest does not.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You need both ends of the wire to have vlan abilities, won't work any other way

caparomula
@74.98.166.x

caparomula

Anon

I spent a whole bunch of time trying to get VLANs working on my Rev. I, and finally discovered (thank you, WireShark) that no matter whether you specify 'untagged' or 'tagged' for egress policy, the outgoing packet will *always* contain the 802.1Q VLAN tag.

It seems that Windows machines will happily ignore that tag (not sure that's kosher), whereas Mac OS and Linux machines will not. I think that behavior has probably added to the confusion in this forum, since people using windows machines will think everything works fine, whereas those using Linux or Mac OS, but with otherwise identical configuration will not.

So, to corroborate what others have been saying here, the only way you are going to get VLANs working with this router is by connecting devices that can accept VLAN-tagged Ethernet frames. Because I really wanted this to work, I ended up putting a Cisco managed switch between my router and my network. That works great.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to philow

to philow
The Netgear Unmanaged Plus range of switches are VLAN capable that can remove the VLAN tag on egress. The range start with the GS105Ev2 (5 port) up to the JGS524Ev2 (24 port) and includes some POE switches, too. I use them and they work fine. The only minor drawback is you have to download and install the optional Netgear utility to configure them for VLAN capability.