All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

Important Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787)

Notified in WU on March 25, 2014:

Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787)

Download size: 8.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This package will update Microsoft Security Essentials client on the user's machine.

More information:
»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ ··· d=195462

Help and Support:
»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ ··· d=195463

Pete
@btcentralplus.com

Pete

Anon

This seems to relate to the end of XP and MSE-on-XP support. But the knowledge base article KB2949787 isn't found by Google or Bing on microsoft.com, so what is it exactly? I'm waiting until I read that before installing this update.

Genius
@rima-tde.net

Genius

Anon

Don't install this MSE update !!!. If you do it, the MSE icon will transform into orange color for ever and you will lost MSE on April 8.

alan06000
@proxad.net

alan06000

Anon

How to remove this update thank you

Passersby
@inevm.ru

1 recommendation

Passersby

Anon

You should uninstall Security Essentials on the computer with this malicious update, restart your computer and then reinstall MS Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 (still can be downloaded from Microsoft from here for example: »download.microsoft.com/d ··· tall.exe

And finally YOU SHOULD BLOCK THIS UDATE (KB2949787) on WU TO PREVENT IT FROM INSTALLING AGAIN!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 edit

3 recommendations

Ian1 to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Why are so many anonymous posters suggesting that this update is malicious?

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

1 recommendation

winchester73 to captnhook

to captnhook
Ummm ...

XP definitions will continue until 7/15/15 according to: »blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc ··· -xp.aspx

See also: »Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP extended.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Perhaps it's because of DawnaC's report (and her second subsequent comment) at: »answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 277220e4

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

So basically perhaps another nag opportunity to try and flog more copies of Windows 7 or 8? Although, that seems to be anecdotal, and the results weren't replicated. Be curious to hear about anyone trying it with XP here.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

3 edits

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yes, MSE 4.5.216.0 gives a nag on my XP SP3 box and the tray icon is orange. On my Win7 SP1 x64 box it is the normal green.

Obviously MS considers all MSE users to be morons.

PS: Windows Defender Offline has also been updated to 4.5.216.0.

PPS: There's a possible registry setting to disable the nag. Haven't tried it yet.
quote:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware]
"EndOfLifeState"=dword:00000001

PPPS: Nope. 'EndOfLifeState' is reset to '1' whenever the service is restarted. Setting it to '0' will therefore have no effect. Thanks MS. I'll be sure to rush out and buy Win8--NOT!

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Yes, MSE 4.5.216.0 gives a nag on my XP SP3 box and the tray icon is orange.

So realistically, it still works and will continue to update through mid July. Just a nag.

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Yeah, that.

And what happens if you have Win 7? "...the MSE icon will transform into orange color for ever and you will lost [sic] MSE on April 8."?

VistaFlorida
@embarqhsd.net

VistaFlorida

Anon

I have Vista os w/ service packs 1 & 2 and all updates (except Bing toolbar install), with Firefox 27.0.1, on an older Gateway laptop, from maybe 2006/7.

I just tried to install this update minutes ago along with an Essentials definition update that accompanied it and my computer crashed, screen went black suddenly, eventually taking me to the windows startup error screen, and I chose the start windows normally option and hit the enter button on my keyboard.

Upon rebooting, my icon was green, but I found the two updates waiting to be installed again. The installation was therefore rejected, no explanatory popup as to why. I have never had such a response to a MS update before, never.

Something is very wrong with this update. I will hide it, but if it keeps coming back, I will have to give up Security Essentials and use another product. Scary.
VistaFlorida

VistaFlorida

Anon

Update to my post above: I hide the main KB2949787 security update, then just uploaded the smaller definition update. All went well with that.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

85160670 (banned) to VistaFlorida

to VistaFlorida
Here are Vista 32 & 64 bit with another two Win 7 Pro & H E 64 bit ............ everything run smoothly since yesterday MSE updates YMMV.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

sbconslt to Martinus

to Martinus
I took the update on two Win7 Pro systems and had no adverse effects. The nag only applies when you're on XP, evidently, and sensibly.

aussiedog
join:2007-01-10
Mesilla Park, NM

aussiedog to StuartMW

to StuartMW
So is this all the jump from 4.4 to 4.5 brings us? Any improvement to the engine, scan speed, accuracy ...anything? MS doesn't provide ANY change log information on this update.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

To my knowledge MS has never put out release notes for MSE.

I have no idea what changed. I assume there was an engine update but I haven't checked. Maybe someone else could step up and check.

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

Martinus to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Installed on Win 7 and everything running fine.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to captnhook

to captnhook
Updated definitions manually then installed the MSE update (KB2949787) yesterday on Win 7, no restart required (but I restarted anyway), no problems observed. After installing KB2949787, the additional offered "definitions update" disappeared from the list.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Exactly. Perhaps their systems are messed up to begin with.

SirSteve
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Woodbury, CT

SirSteve to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Indstalled on one Vista PC, no problems.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40 to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Installed on Vista Home Premium with no problems.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Can anyone verify this is just an XP problem, if there is even a problem at all? Hesitant to install. Windows 7.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

As far google result, is XP problematic on Mcrosoft cummunity

Martinus
Premium Member
EU

Martinus to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
I installed it and no problems. Win 7 64bit.
jacobseo
join:2011-09-20

jacobseo to captnhook

to captnhook
Already installed in my computer and no problem appear.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

2 recommendations

Ian1 to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Windows 7-64 works no problem. Windows 8.1, no problem as well. XP only problem, and I don't believe it's much of one there either, unless a yellow nag tray icon bothers you. Can always hide it.
Gianni45
join:2004-08-22

Gianni45 to Passersby

to Passersby
Thank you very much, Passersby! your post helped me to get quickly rid of both the orange icon and that annoying nag screen about end of life support on my XP SP3...

BillDL
@as9105.com

BillDL to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
I can confirm that this occurred on my WinXP Pro SP3 system. 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787) shows a popup with the same wording as shown in the screenshot above, and changes the System Tray icon and app dialog to orange.

It's a very crafty misuse of words that verge on being a lie if read literally, but it is ambiguous enough that Microsoft would wangle out of it if called to task. If you read the message one way: "When this occurs Microsoft Security Essentials WILL no longer be supported", you could easily read this as a definitive statement that support for MSE on XP will cease. It will not cease, unless Microsoft have lied on this page:
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· ort.aspx
under the FAQ Header:

Will Microsoft Security Essentials be supported after April 8, 2014?

Microsoft Security Essentials WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD on Windows XP after April 8, 2014. IF you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you WILL continue to receive anti-malware signature updates through July 14, 2015.

It is scaremongering, and what they are using to justify their statement, in the popup after the 4.5.216.0 update and within the MSE application dialog, is that XP will not be supported after April 8, 2014 for NEW DOWNLOADS of the APPLICATION.

A simple play on words, and very annoying that they feel the need to try and fool people with such an underhanded use of grammar.