spc
Search similar:

uniqs

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet to BillDL

to BillDL

Re: Important Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787)

said by BillDL :

Microsoft Security Essentials WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD on Windows XP after April 8, 2014. IF you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you WILL continue to receive anti-malware signature updates through July 14, 2015.

So, to avoid the orange icon and nag wording, should XP users remain with MS Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 and continue updating the definition files only?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook

So far, each standalone 32 bit version of MSE installer which I download periodically (for my own offline app library) for XP and for newer versions of Windoze seems to be the same file - same hash checksum and everything - even though I get each from a different download link.

So whatever they might do to us regarding XP has not been done yet, unless this newest version represents the fork in the road.

BTW, the last time I did this comparison was for ver 4.4.304 - and this is the version which both FileHippo and the MS site gave me only a few minutes ago.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to BillDL

Premium Member

to BillDL
said by BillDL :

....A simple play on words, and very annoying that they feel the need to try and fool people with such an underhanded use of grammar.

Their legal dept said that it was OK.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
The version you get via a manual download from

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· download

is NOT the latest (4.5.216). MS takes days to weeks to publish the latest.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

The version you get via a manual download from

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· download

is NOT the latest (4.5.216). MS takes days to weeks to publish the latest.

Fair enough.

Still, what seems confusing is that this alleged new edition is called ver 4.5.216 , and a recent previous version was named 4.3.216 - is MS deliberately TRYING to confuse us with 2 so similar but slightly different version numbers ?

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

1 recommendation

captnhook to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Can anyone verify this is just an XP problem, if there is even a problem at all? Hesitant to install. Windows 7.

Just appears to be an issue for users running XP.
I installed on Win 7 with no issues.
MS never says exactly what changes comes with their MSE updates but I suppose that since XP is nearing the end of it's life cycle of support they have included a popup notification in this update informing users of the cessation of XP support and that their systems will soon be at risk after April 8, 2014.
I don't know if this update includes any changes to their MSE engine or signatures but since I'm not using XP better safe than sorry.

Arbyem
@bhn.net

Arbyem to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
I tried the subject update three times, before reading this thread contents. The update failed three times on my MacBook Pro with Windows 7 - Parallels Desktop (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1).
How do I delete this update such that my system does not attempt to retry (automatically)?
Appreciatively, Arbyem

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

said by Arbyem :

How do I delete this update such that my system does not attempt to retry (automatically)?

You can hide the update so it doesn't install. Right click on the update and then click the hide option. Hope this helps.

Arbyem
@bhn.net

Arbyem

Anon

Hi Planet:
Thanks for the expeditious response. I have hidden the subject update. However, I would like to know why it would not install on my configuration of Windows 7, given that it must be an important one, unless, as other posts seem to suggest, that it is exclusively for Windows XP.
Appreciatively, Arbyem
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

To uninstall the FAILED updates, go to WU - updates history - on top "Installed-updates" ...... now search for your kb. xxxxxxx

BillDL
@as9105.com

BillDL to planet

Anon

to planet
MSE-reg.txt
1,971 bytes
Reg file as TXT
said by planet:

said by BillDL :

Microsoft Security Essentials WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD on Windows XP after April 8, 2014. IF you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you WILL continue to receive anti-malware signature updates through July 14, 2015.

So, to avoid the orange icon and nag wording, should XP users remain with MS Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 and continue updating the definition files only?

Not exactly a summation of what the quote from the Microsoft site states, but on the face of it (from what we know at present), your "summary" would appear to be the only logical resolution for those of us who don't like the orange popup warning.

However, bear in mind that there is another possibility. XP users might be stuck with version 4.5.216.0 and this "upgrade" may possibly be necessary to accommodate changes to definition format that will be used for future versions of MSE for non-XP systems. i.e. a final version for XP to make the application version compatible with a changed definition format for another year. If so, then retrograding to the last non-popup version that is currently available as the "normal" download might, after 8th April 2014, be unable to update the definitions.

I'm going to experiment with registry values and see if I can disable the popup. I have attached what I see as being relevant registry values.
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to captnhook

to captnhook
I got rid of MSE on the XP box 2 weeks ago and installed free avast!. No real complaints so far. The Vista box got some MSE updates yesterday which haven't caused any problems yet.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to BillDL

Premium Member

to BillDL
said by BillDL :

I'm going to experiment with registry values...

Um...

»Re: Important Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787)
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

The orange nag screen in MSE update 4.5 applies to Windows XP only, it is just a reminder about support for XP ending. All XP users after March 8th will get a System Tray pop-up notice about Support for Windows XP ending. This notice will appear once a month, until, "Don't show me this again." is checked.

MSE users on Windows Vista and Windows 7, this update produces no nag screens. It is an engine update and bug fix. On Windows XP, there is no way to remove MSE's 4.5 nag message on the home screen. Windows 8 and it's subsequent 8.1 and 8.2 don't run MSE, they run Windows Defender out of the box. On Windows XP and Windows Vista, Windows Defender is malware protection only. MSE is my favorite AV for the simplicity of it, automatic updates, no license keys, no pop-ups, unless it finds something, and computer runs super fast. If you really want a "Set it and Forget it program" MSE is the best their is. The other AV's bloat down your system too much.

Satch

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to BillDL

Premium Member

to BillDL
said by BillDL :

....However, bear in mind that there is another possibility. XP users might be stuck with version 4.5.216.0 and this "upgrade" may possibly be necessary to accommodate changes to definition format that will be used for future versions of MSE for non-XP systems. i.e. a final version for XP to make the application version compatible with a changed definition format for another year. If so, then retrograding to the last non-popup version that is currently available as the "normal" download might, after 8th April 2014, be unable to update the definitions....

I was considering that possibility too.

So (notwithstanding some functional registry tweaks) we would have to tolerate the pop-up nag to get def updates - until whenever they finally disco XP support completely.

XP forever
@sbcglobal.net

XP forever to AZinOH

Anon

to AZinOH
said by AZinOH:

I got rid of MSE on the XP box 2 weeks ago and installed free avast!. No real complaints so far. The Vista box got some MSE updates yesterday which haven't caused any problems yet.

Except that Google Chrome is forced on you

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

said by XP forever :

Not if you look carefully at the installation screens.
This holds true to every aspect of computing .."read BEFORE to click"

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to XP forever

Premium Member

to XP forever
said by XP forever :

said by AZinOH:

Except that Google Chrome is forced on you.

Is Avast STILL doing that drive-by GC install ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to gwalk

Premium Member

to gwalk
said by gwalk:

said by XP forever :

Not if you look carefully at the installation screens.

This holds true to every aspect of computing .."read BEFORE to click"

So Avast leverages the same mindset as the installers of much of the malware which we trust it to remove.

Hmmmf !

You would think that they could have taken 'the high road', and at least let it default to the GC install option being UNTICKED.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to BillDL

to BillDL
said by BillDL :

said by planet:

said by BillDL :

Not exactly a summation of what the quote from the Microsoft site states, but on the face of it (from what we know at present), your "summary" would appear to be the only logical resolution for those of us who don't like the orange popup warning.

However, bear in mind that there is another possibility. XP users might be stuck with version 4.5.216.0 and this "upgrade" may possibly be necessary to accommodate changes to definition format that will be used for future versions of MSE for non-XP systems. i.e. a final version for XP to make the application version compatible with a changed definition format for another year. If so, then retrograding to the last non-popup version that is currently available as the "normal" download might, after 8th April 2014, be unable to update the definitions.

I'm going to experiment with registry values and see if I can disable the popup. I have attached what I see as being relevant registry values.

Good points,

The short answer seems to be, until July 15, 2015 XP users with MSE will get that Orange Unprotected bar until they put MSE on a more modern version of Windows.

A note also that Registry changes are recommended for advanced users only. In my view, if you want to stick with XP, I would say do the following: (*= optional)

1.) Get a modern browser. XP only goes to IE 8. Use Firefox or Chrome.
2.) Get a different AV other than MSE
3.) Secure your router with a strong password.
4.)* Consider Virtual Machine Software for XP. If you run XP in a Virtualized environment you can't be infected.

How is Panda as an AV for XP users? I heard it is light and good.

Satch

Harris
@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

Harris to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
See the following very useful link, which is a Microsoft Wiki Article dated March 27, 2014 that answers many of the questions raised above in this chain of posts. The Article is very clear, detailed, and -- perhaps most importantly -- it is Microsoft's official, current statement on these issues.

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 49a11a22
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by XP forever :

said by AZinOH:

Yes, Avast still tries to get you to install Google Chrome. Was it forced on me? No, I had the choice and opted out.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by AZinOH:

Yes, Avast still tries to get you to install Google Chrome. Was it forced on me? No, I had the choice and opted out.

He was talking about the drive-by. Avast with a previous update installed chrome whether you clicked yes or not. Hence the "drive-by". I doubt it still does this. But I, and millions of others will never trust Alwil again or any of their programs on my PC.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

1 recommendation

Frodo to captnhook

to captnhook
On my windows 7, I have a virtual XP. I made a backup copy yesterday, and installed the nag version. Today, there is new definition files, created at 3/30/2014 at 3:41 AM. So, I updated the definition files on the nag version, which appear to go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{}. I then started the XP without the nag version and updated the definition files, and then compared them using FC /b. The definition files all match, including the DLL.
19,498,776 mpasbase.vdm
   577,808 mpasdlta.vdm
70,458,648 mpavbase.vdm
 1,965,328 mpavdlta.vdm
 7,969,936 mpengine.dll

So, as far as I can tell, these changes were made only to degrade the customer experience if they continue to use MSE. It isn't April 8th yet, so why is the nag version orange today? This seems to be the same mentality as those who decided that Office should be three shades of white, or those who didn't listen to their test users when rolling out Win 8. I had hoped that the new CEO would get rid of some of these people, but it seems the new boss is the same as the old boss.

I think for now, I'm going to stick with the 2nd to last engine, without the nag.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
Great thread guys, thanks. I googled the internet trying to figure out how to eliminate the nag on an XP system and it brought me back here

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by AZinOH:

said by Davesnothere:

said by XP forever :

said by AZinOH:

Yes, Avast still tries to get you to install Google Chrome.

Was it forced on me? No, I had the choice and opted out.

He was talking about the drive-by. Avast with a previous update installed chrome whether you clicked yes or not. Hence the "drive-by". I doubt it still does this. But I, and millions of others will never trust Alwil again or any of their programs on my PC.

Actually, I was talking about BOTH.

Either scenario is despicable in MY book.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Harris

Premium Member

to Harris
said by Harris :

See the following very useful link, which is a Microsoft Wiki Article dated March 27, 2014 that answers many of the questions raised above in this chain of posts. The Article is very clear, detailed, and -- perhaps most importantly -- it is Microsoft's official, current statement on these issues.

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 49a11a22

Thanks !

That article clarifies a lot.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Someone with a Live account should suggest it sounds like the best thing for anyone to do is to remove 4.5 and install 4.4.304 using the link Passerby posted above:
»download.microsoft.com/d ··· tall.exe

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Someone with a Live account should suggest it sounds like the best thing for anyone to do is to remove 4.5 and install 4.4.304 using the link Passerby posted above:
»download.microsoft.com/d ··· tall.exe

Yes, I have been at that link, and other 3rd party sites, and they all offer so far is 4.4.304 as of the other day.

But :

(1) Will 4.5 leave behind any registry crap which will interfere with 4.4.304 later installing - Has anyone TRIED this yet ?

(2) MS said that they will not be offering ANY version of MSE to XP users by download, as of April 8th, IIRC, in that above-linked Wiki of theirs.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

(1) Will 4.5 leave behind any registry crap which will interfere with 4.4.304 later installing - Has anyone TRIED this yet ?

Yes, I've tried it and it works fine. No issues whatsoever.