Search similar:

uniqs
ronaldlees
join:2014-03-26
usa

2 edits

ronaldlees

Not a movie watcher - so why not NAS?

Heck, I'm not even a TV watcher. The television is still an old analog jobber. So, the Uverse deal came with only the one size shoe for everybody, so I have an unused DVR, and mostly unwatched TV channels. I have the service only for the internet capability. SOooooo... why couldn't I use the DVR as a NAS. Surely I could use some extra storage space, and since the DVR's right on the subnet, It'd be really quick. Any way to (legally) do it?

This would be for my own personal data, not some kind of open NAS.

wizardry
@ohio-state.edu

wizardry

Anon

DVRs and standard boxes are the equivalent of a vending machine. They are the property of the service provider and are entirely locked down to prevent you from modifying them to suit any other purpose. Why do you have the TV service if you don't watch it?
ronaldlees
join:2014-03-26
usa

ronaldlees

The super salesman convinced us that the price was actually better with the combo. I think there might have been an implication given, that an internet-only package was not (at that time) available. Not sure. The rate's pretty good.

I didn't know if this idea had any basis or if *even* a premium vendor supplied package might be available to do it. It seems commercially feasible to me, and that people might like it. Sure doesn't hurt to ask (much)
ronaldlees

ronaldlees

I guess I understand that a locked door is not as secure as a brick wall. So, the vendors are trying to minimize the number of doors that they are obligated to secure. Plainly, a feature like DVR/NAS, available as an additional service, could be popular. Those storage challenged cell-phone/smart-phone users could have quick, yet somewhat more private storage, as opposed to what they have through their ISPs.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ronaldlees:

Plainly, a feature like DVR/NAS, available as an additional service, could be popular.

Rent a NAS? I paid less for a Western Digital NAS than I paid for my first 1 GB (Seagate) HDD. I expect it is cheaper than the vendor cost of a DVR box.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to ronaldlees

Premium Member

to ronaldlees
quite frankly, it would be a lot less hassle, and a lot more capable, if you were just to buy a NAS device and hook it up to your LAN.

If you don't like the TV service, cancel it. Maybe upgrade the internet speed instead. I cancelled my DirecTV not because I didn't like their service, but because I rarely watch TV. My wife and I do everything on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, at a fraction of the cost.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to ronaldlees

to ronaldlees
You can even use an cheap old PC with XP or 7 and install a big drive in it and use it as a File share storage PC. I've done it and it works great. Just make sure the network card installed is Gb.