uniqs

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1

Re: Important Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.5.216.0 (KB2949787)

said by Ian1:

Why are so many anonymous posters suggesting that this update is malicious?

Yeah, that.

And what happens if you have Win 7? "...the MSE icon will transform into orange color for ever and you will lost [sic] MSE on April 8."?

VistaFlorida
@embarqhsd.net

VistaFlorida

Anon

I have Vista os w/ service packs 1 & 2 and all updates (except Bing toolbar install), with Firefox 27.0.1, on an older Gateway laptop, from maybe 2006/7.

I just tried to install this update minutes ago along with an Essentials definition update that accompanied it and my computer crashed, screen went black suddenly, eventually taking me to the windows startup error screen, and I chose the start windows normally option and hit the enter button on my keyboard.

Upon rebooting, my icon was green, but I found the two updates waiting to be installed again. The installation was therefore rejected, no explanatory popup as to why. I have never had such a response to a MS update before, never.

Something is very wrong with this update. I will hide it, but if it keeps coming back, I will have to give up Security Essentials and use another product. Scary.
VistaFlorida

VistaFlorida

Anon

Update to my post above: I hide the main KB2949787 security update, then just uploaded the smaller definition update. All went well with that.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

85160670 (banned) to VistaFlorida

to VistaFlorida
Here are Vista 32 & 64 bit with another two Win 7 Pro & H E 64 bit ............ everything run smoothly since yesterday MSE updates YMMV.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

sbconslt to Martinus

to Martinus
I took the update on two Win7 Pro systems and had no adverse effects. The nag only applies when you're on XP, evidently, and sensibly.