Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

2 recommendations

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

[HD] I'm BACK!

I'm sure some of you are laughing and spitting out your drinks right now - but I'm back with FIOS TV! Also, i'm sure some of you are disgusted at the same time. LOL.

Just had my install done this morning - perhaps 1 of the most professional jobs EVER done in my home - regardless of project.

Jeremy - you were truly awesome. He removed the old 2007 ONT off the side of the house - re-ran the fiber from its old location all the way into the basement, and installed a brand new SFH 612 ONT on the wall inside. Received a brand new Rev I Gen 3 router - AND - a kicker that I wasn't expecting - got set up with a Cisco 435HDC P2 DVR and 2 Cisco 335 HDC P2 HD boxes. (Yes, I know about the VMS - but not a big deal).

Why did I come back? Well, contract w/ Comcast was up - there's a high probability i'm moving out West within 12 months - and FIOS has the HD we love to watch once again. (NYCDave is smiling at that i'm sure).

The MPEG4 HD channels look amazing - not going to lie.

Also, saving $60/month was HUGE - all this without a contract. Plus, we got the 75/35 package. My Xbox one pulled 83 down 36 up on it's diagnostics. I'm happy.

Really impressed with the speed of the guide (1.9.5) and already am smiling watching beIN Sports in HD. Looks so far like a lot of the things have been made much nicer from 2 years ago. We're keeping our Xfinity Home security - and hooking that router up to the Actiontec was seamless. I have an Airport hardwired to the Actiontec as that supplies the home with any wireless needs.

Okay - back to work!

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

johnf2

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

I'm BACK!

Welcome back JeepMatt, it's been a while, in the end I'm sure FiOS will continue to serve and grow your needs.

I'm just waiting for the VMS to come to my zip code here in in VHO8 land. VMS does look good!

johnf2

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Hey Jeep, I thought you were loving the new X2 Xfinity guide or whatever it's called. Well at least now we all might be kept more in the loop as to what's going on, LOL. Welcome back!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
LOL. Welcome back

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
"Thumbs up" to you!! Welcome back!

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Welcome BacK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Welcome back!

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

I thought for sure you were coming back because of the new VMS! Anyway great to have you back! looking forward to your insights!
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I knew you couldn't stay away from.... My Precious ( 100% FTTH )... Hahahaha.

Welcome Back, Jeep.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

2 recommendations

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Was there ever any doubt this would happen??
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
It is great that you are back.

Will you be at PPL Park on Saturday? I am in 127.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Owl-
Hey man! Thanks! Unfortunately making a wknd trip downstate to the beach. Will miss the Montreal game. Moved to 116 this season. Great view - and cheaper! Hopefully their 0-3 record doesn't bite us.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Wow. Your own thread.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE

ggma1126 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Welcome back JeepMatt !
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
I'm surprised you went back. I had thought about it last fall, but my problems were resolved and I am sticking where I am.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

bohratom to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Jeep, I fixed your title for you... "I'm Back!, for another 12 months of discounts"...

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

1 recommendation

Steely to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
I feel like an old friend just returned after serving overseas in the armed forces...or something like that. You belong in THIS forum and I'm glad you're back! In fact we're ALL glad you're back!
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

2 recommendations

knarf829 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Welcome back.

Oh, I almost forgot...

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Another good thing - found my old 1TB WD eSata drive the other day. Hooked it up this morning after getting a new eSata cable in the mailbox yesterday - and worked like a charm.

After the 1st night - the other half is very pleased. Obviously going from 50/10 to 75/35 on internet has made a difference. But, watching TV last night was a pleasure. The menus seem SO much more thought out now - and the Search function and OnDemand features are much nicer. These Cisco boxes are FAST. (Although the DVR is HUGE!)

I clicked by Recipe.tv and my husband goes "Wait - I remember that *(#&$#& channel... and giggled..." (I swear it was the same chef and restaurant in Santa Monica from 2009).

To be bluntly honest - Comcast's X1 was very cool - in its "first" version. Then they completely revised it into it's current "black Xbox feel" - and it just wasn't the same. Granted it was still early - but there was a lot of lag, audio dropouts, and some other issues. Like I mentioned, it's about the present. Their new theory is that everything should be like Netflix - no more interest in linear content. Saving $ in the short-term will be huge for us - especially with a move in the works.

Phillies? Ehhh. After 40 years, I might become a Nats fan. Kidding. Maybe. As far as TCN in SD, yeah - it's a shame they haven't found room for it by now - but I care more about having to watch Union games in SD than anything else. But, away games are better watched at the bar with friends anyway.

BUT....

One other question to the forum - since we're both huge soccer fans - added the Spanish package for $7.50/mo (promo for a year) to get beIN Sport Espanol in HD. (And honestly, some of those latin music channels.....caliente!!!!)

On Comcast - you could toggle that station over to an English SAP - but I can't seem to find anyway to do that on the IMG. Any tips would be appreciated!

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

I'm sure some of you are laughing and spitting out your drinks right now - but I'm back with FIOS TV!

Well, it strikes me as quite reasonable that there would be lots of deal shopping in this crowd when contracts expire and there are two choices that are within shouting distance of each other in terms of quality and content. As bohratom See Profile said, "I'm back!, for another 12 months of discounts," and that might be me when my FIOS contract expires in September and I get to choose between Verizon and Comcast.

I still toy with the idea of cutting the cord, but the last time I asked Verizon about internet-only they said "We discount internet heavily for Triple Play customers, and it would cost you $2 billion a month for internet-only."

Anyway, welcome back. Feel free to switch to the Nats.

dimi1963
join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ

dimi1963 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Welcome back, and needless to say it "I knew it," you were coming back soon rather than later.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Matt, you Should have nabbed the 150/65 Internet Tier, along with the GPON ONT.

I guess your forced into renting the new Actiontec Rev. I router as well?....

Sorry about the new VMS option vs. X1/X2, I'm keeping my 3 7232 DVR setup for a while.

I still have CC HSI along with Fios, but I hope you now see why I recently tried CC TV service, and found it to be inferior to Fios.

Glad to see you back on the Fios side.

Good Luck!!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

3 edits

Mike Wolf to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Oh god , I mean hi and welcome back Matt!
It's a good thing you got that eSATA drive working again.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to K3SGM

Premium Member

to K3SGM
said by K3SGM:

I guess your forced into renting the new Actiontec Rev. I router as well?

Yeah, had to laugh at that one...after years they finally realized all the profits they're missing out on. Oh well. I get some kickback from my job since I work from home - so not a huge deal.

Also loving the "new" VZ Direct forum! Couldn't access my DVR on the iPad app - put up a post - an hour later they had it working. The honeymoon of great customer service continues.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

BUT....

One other question to the forum - since we're both huge soccer fans - added the Spanish package for $7.50/mo (promo for a year) to get beIN Sport Espanol in HD. (And honestly, some of those latin music channels.....caliente!!!!)

On Comcast - you could toggle that station over to an English SAP - but I can't seem to find anyway to do that on the IMG. Any tips would be appreciated!

For soccer, I have the ultimate package and subscribe to MLS Direct Kick. Now that Fox lost the Premier League, I dropped Fox Soccer Plus. So far, I have resisted getting the Spanish package just for BeIn Sport Espanol - but that could change soon.

Try this:

Press Option on the remote while watching BeIn
Scroll to "Audio Language"
Select English and hear what happens.

I have tried it on several stations but there has been no change for me. Your mileage may vary.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

said by OwlSaver:

So far, I have resisted getting the Spanish package just for BeIn Sport Espanol - but that could change soon.

Owl - right now they offered me 50% off the Spanish pkg - it was only $7.50/month. That's 1 less craft beer at the bar.

Ironically the feed of 1538 (beIN Esp HD) is VERY choppy right now. The live game is bouncing all over the place.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Alright Jeep, are we getting any new HD adds?
Expand your moderator at work

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

3 edits

SeattleMatt to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600

Upgraded Net to 150/65

Well, my employer approved expensing more for my home internet - so put the order in this AM to upgrade from 75/35 to 150/65.

I feel stupid that I didn't have the approval last week - because a tech had to come back out again today. LOL. Here I thought I had received a newer ONT last week - but silly me.

However - within an hour of placing the order - the tech was already here. He's replaced my 612 ONT in the basement with a Alcatel-Lucent I-21 1M-K indoor ONT. It's crazy small - almost looks like the Actiontec.

I did indeed need the upgrade to a GPON ONT, as well as now connecting via ethernet to the Actiontec (which I had found out from researching some older threads here).

Just pulled 152 down 56 up on my Xbox One... LOVE IT!

2 amazing FIOS Technicians within a week of each other. The Delaware team is great!
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance

I love Fios...