join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Steve B to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101

Re: Purchase EMTA?

said by jm101:

said by Steve B:

I know one can purchase the regular internet modem or rent it. What about the EMTAs? Are users still stuck on renting the internet/voice modem units?

I called about this somewhat recently. Comcast said I could buy an eMTA from them for like $150.

I wonder if this available nationally or just in certain markets. Every once in a while I will go to Comcast's site and act like I'm setting up an order to see what deals I can and how much stuff will cost and they don't give an option to buy the eMTA, just rent it.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by Steve B:

said by jm101:

said by Steve B:

I know one can purchase the regular internet modem or rent it. What about the EMTAs? Are users still stuck on renting the internet/voice modem units?

I called about this somewhat recently. Comcast said I could buy an eMTA from them for like $150.

I wonder if this available nationally or just in certain markets. Every once in a while I will go to Comcast's site and act like I'm setting up an order to see what deals I can and how much stuff will cost and they don't give an option to buy the eMTA, just rent it.

Yeah Comcast is pretty unclear about this. I wonder if some Best Buy stores still sell them. We didn't think we would stick with Comcast this long so we didn't buy an eMTA.
crucialcolin11
join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA

crucialcolin11

I've been told no every time we've ask about it. The most recent being about a month ago. Seems like the general policy is to not allow purchased eMTA.

sometimes you may get lucky but even then its usually only with an older/slower/outdated DOCSIS device.

I've also noticed Comcast tends to use eMTA gateway devices on new HSI installs or modem replacements thus making it difficult switch to regular modems.

Additionally since they push voice and triple play services hard I suspect wont be long until they do an HSI only price increase making it more expensive then going HSI + voice or even with most triple play bundles. Similar to what they have done with TV and internet. Both seem to be a great way to further increase profits.

Steve B
Premium Member
Auburn, WA

1 recommendation

Steve B

Premium Member

said by crucialcolin11:

I've been told no every time we've ask about it. The most recent being about a month ago. Seems like the general policy is to not allow purchased eMTA.

sometimes you may get lucky but even then its usually only with an older/slower/outdated DOCSIS device.

I've also noticed Comcast tends to use eMTA gateway devices on new HSI installs or modem replacements thus making it difficult switch to regular modems.

Additionally since they push voice and triple play services hard I suspect wont be long until they do an HSI only price increase making it more expensive then going HSI + voice or even with most triple play bundles. Similar to what they have done with TV and internet. Both seem to be a great way to further increase profits.

I have DSL and Satellite. I'm perfectly happy with what I have now. Although there were times where I was curious about what Comcast could offer me and I asked about buying/renting eMTAs they said you have to rent the eMTA. Granted, that was some time ago. My position is that why should one be forced to pay to rent a device that is essential for service to work....especially if you can't buy a unit instead. Comcast is so full of sh*t.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by Steve B:

said by crucialcolin11:

I have DSL and Satellite. I'm perfectly happy with what I have now. Although there were times where I was curious about what Comcast could offer me and I asked about buying/renting eMTAs they said you have to rent the eMTA. Granted, that was some time ago. My position is that why should one be forced to pay to rent a device that is essential for service to work....especially if you can't buy a unit instead. Comcast is so full of sh*t.

Plus Comcast keeps increasing the price of the rental. My cloud web hosting plan costs less than the eMTA rental fee.

Steve B
Premium Member
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

said by jm101:

said by Steve B:

said by crucialcolin11:

Plus Comcast keeps increasing the price of the rental. My cloud web hosting plan costs less than the eMTA rental fee.

That too. $8? That is total BS. My aunt was renting a modem for the HSI. I told her no, absolutely not. She went out and bought one of those DOCSIS 3 Modem/Router Gateways from Motorola. Comcast and all their damned nickel and diming.
brianmonroe
join:2012-10-10
Palo Alto, CA

brianmonroe

For all of the clients that have assisted in setting up Voice and Data with Comcast it seems that they do not allow users to own their own eMTA (Voice & Data) Cable Modem. I think I know why. It is because internally within Comcast their provisioning systems are not 100% accurate and they are worried that people will purchase a used eMTA on eBay to save money that they have already registered the MAC address for another customer. Then someone at that new address calls 911 and they send the 1st responders to the wrong address. They get sued and in big trouble. So for them it is much easier for them to just rent the modems then they know for a fact who has what eMTA. Plus it lets them hide the additional $8/month for their voice service.

To get this to change will require legislation as it is not in Comcast's interests to let you save money. The problem is that we have seen this happen before with TiVo's and CableCards. They are not well supported and the last time I checked you do not get on demand services when using CableCards. I just worry that the service you end up getting with a customer owned eMTA will end up being different if Comcast is forced by law to let people use their own eMTAs.

So to be clear, I do not like that Comcast is nickel-and-dime us but until we get some changes with the FCC with regulators that are on the side of taxpayers/consumers things are not going to change. Either that or other options become real competition like Google Fiber or 4G/LTE or community owned broadband networks.