spc
Search similar:

uniqs

artesian79
join:2001-10-16
West Chester, OH

artesian79

[Outlook] Oops, didn't back up the Outlook DB

I have a laptop that is running Win 7 and I've been moving files over from an old, old, old, desktop in XP. Long story short, I didn't get the email. I have multiple .tib image backups of the desktop, and now the owner has mailed me the HD. I live in another state and think the owner is wanting me to wipe the drive.

So, that means I also have the files for Outlook on a boot drive, but no computer to put it in. I can slave the HD to my computer, but how do I go about getting the Outlook messages exported into a file that I can load into the Win 7 laptop, since I don't have a way to run Outlook? (As you may have guesses I don't really know very much about Outlook and use a web base email myself).

Thanks!

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

Outlook stores its mail in a .PST file, which usually is located in the user profile, under one of the appdata or roaming folders, I forget which and I am on my linux laptop at the moment so not easy to look it up. In Windows XP it would be under C:\Documents & Settings folder somewhere if I recall correctly.

All you really need is the .PST files, which are likely named outlook.pst and archive.pst, in case any mail was archived. You can send those back to the owner of the laptop, and he can place them back on his harddrive. Since the .PST files can be located anywhere (I myself actually have them located in a folder called D:\Mail, which I did because I often wiped my C:\ drive in the past for a new OS install, somehow always forgetting my mail as well, so I got used to placing the mail elsewhere from the get-go.) I would recommend you just doing a search for *.PST on the hard drive.

artesian79
join:2001-10-16
West Chester, OH

artesian79

Thanks so much. I knew they we're .pst, but didn't realize I cold just grab them.