uniqs

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax

Premium Member

Time on Box vs. Guide

Is the time on the front of the boxes coordinated precisely with the on-screen guide time or vice versa? Also what is the NTP server the boxes synchronize with? Just curious.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

We have a server in each region that handles that why do you ask?

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

We have a server in each region that handles that why do you ask?

You're going to think I'm nuts with this.

One of my pet peeves is inaccurate clocks. I have clocks either on or near my cable boxes and I will sit there with my fingers poised on the time setting buttons to make the minute changes precisely when my cable box clock minute changes so that my clock is perfectly synced with the box time. That way I can accurately see when a show is ending or beginning. In the course of doing this I became curious as to where and how the boxes sync themselves.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
We share something in common I'm as precise in time as I am in life (or at least I strive to be). Unfortunately my OCD moments carry over to furniture and landscaping symmetry and the dreaded picture on the wall hanging so slightly off balance (oh that drives me nuts).

Now back to the technical aspects yes we have a time standard by which all boxes sync. This is regional and I'll tell you up front you need to let me know if time is off after a reboot because thats highly impactful to our DVR people and nothing makes them angrier than missing the last minute of the season cliffhanger because the clock was off (been there done that).
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
And yes you might be nuts....that's okay

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

And yes you might be nuts....that's okay

I betcha I'm not the only one in this forum that does this!

SparkyinCFL

MVM
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL

SparkyinCFL

MVM

said by Astyanax:

I betcha I'm not the only one in this forum that does this!

You are correct.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
Oh no you are not the only one because I have caught hell in those rare moments when something goes wonky....trust me

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax

Premium Member

You never did answer my other question though: Is the guide time exactly the same as the box time?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

yup

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
I used to do this, but now every clock I have syncs via something or another. I just try not to keep two clocks within the same view.
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches

You should see me in the kitchen making sure the clock on the coffee maker, microwave and range are all in sync. Each has a different method for setting. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
I gave up up the Microwave and Coffee maker long ago....let them blink.
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches

said by BHNtechXpert:

I gave up up the Microwave and Coffee maker long ago....let them blink.

Blasphemy!

SparkyinCFL

MVM
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL

SparkyinCFL to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
There MUST be coffee waiting for me when I get up ... I'll let the microwave and oven go but NOT the coffeemaker!!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
My coffee maker takes four minutes to produce a pot so first thing I do is get up....push the button, tend the chickens and dog and come back and my joy juice is waiting for me

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to Astyanax

Premium Member

to Astyanax
I have the new Cisco boxes and overall they've been great. One thing that has bothered me is how bright the clock is. It doesn't matter much in the living room, but in our master bedroom that light feels like a spotlight when I'm trying to get some sleep!
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
California

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by gigahurtz:

I have the new Cisco boxes and overall they've been great. One thing that has bothered me is how bright the clock is. It doesn't matter much in the living room, but in our master bedroom that light feels like a spotlight when I'm trying to get some sleep!

You can turn that off in "settings->display->clock options->no display"

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I have done this. I'm in a dilemma since I actually like the clock on there yet hate how bright it is It's nice when you're waking up and want to glance to see what time it is, not so nice when you're trying to get to sleep...
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

said by gigahurtz:

I have done this. I'm in a dilemma since I actually like the clock on there yet hate how bright it is

The Samsungs' clock displays are pleasantly dim when turned off and a little brighter but not distracting when the box is on. The Samsungs have the new update, too.
bighorn1
Premium Member
California

bighorn1 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Yep, that's why I keep microwave oven in bedroom. Unobtrusive time display

BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bighorn1:

Yep, that's why I keep microwave oven in bedroom. Unobtrusive time display

Really?
bighorn1
Premium Member
California

bighorn1

Premium Member

LOL no, tongue-in-cheek hint that dimmable display clocks are available too
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bighorn1:

LOL no, tongue-in-cheek hint that dimmable display clocks are available too

Whew...the mental pic was torture....

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

You never went to college, or stayed in a dorm? Microwaves next to the beds were very common, at least when I was in college.

Also, Gary, you've HAD to have seen this in your career, but there is a part that you reminded me specifically of when you mentioned leaving your clocks flashing at 12 o'clock: Internet Help Desk
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by telijah:

You never went to college, or stayed in a dorm? Microwaves next to the beds were very common, at least when I was in college.

Also, Gary, you've HAD to have seen this in your career, but there is a part that you reminded me specifically of when you mentioned leaving your clocks flashing at 12 o'clock: Internet Help Desk

I loved that video.... makes me a cringe a bit because I take tech support em....well extremely seriously.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to Aprel

Premium Member

to Aprel
said by Aprel:

said by gigahurtz:

I have done this. I'm in a dilemma since I actually like the clock on there yet hate how bright it is

The Samsungs' clock displays are pleasantly dim when turned off and a little brighter but not distracting when the box is on. The Samsungs have the new update, too.

I had a Samsung box prior to switching over to DirecTV a few years ago. I do remember the clock on that being very light, yet visible throughout the room.