All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
78204168 (banned)
join:2013-02-28

78204168 (banned)

Verizon in 1993? or even 1983??

Unless I am living in a alternate universe, Verizon wasn't a known brand until 2000 when Bell Atlantic bought out GTE. I know because I worked at GTE in Irving, TX in 2000 just before the formation of Verizon. It was a brand new name creation formed by using Veritas and Horizon. Where the hell are they coming up with a 1993 deal.

Even Wikipedia has a reference of 1983.. WTF?!? Talk about history revision at it's finest.

Unless they are claiming the day Bell Atlantic changed it's name to Verizon that the name change was retro-active for the prior 17 years that they existed...
Arcturus
join:2008-04-18
London, ON

Arcturus

It was a deal with the company Bell Atlantic who then changed name to Verizon. So henceforth you consider all deals to be with Verizon.

Same as if I signed a contract then waltzed over and changed my name. The contract is now with my new name.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to 78204168

to 78204168
Obligations of the new telco inbumbent are STILL bound by substantially the SAME regulatory and contractual agreements (especially when they recieve monetary or regulatory value in-kind that has monetary value). That includes mergers and spinoffs alike. If you've seen this forum spin it's yarn, see Fairpoint and Frontier threads as well.... The moral compass of the fiduciary & stewardship at major telcos stuck on the ROI dial at Verizon since the days of Vodafone's investment in wireless. Few saw this evolution for what it really was at the time.

Governments who nurtured the internet had a grand plan to transition it to private enterprise... little knowing (or full knowing, take your pick) that it would be transformed into a corrupt enterprise by corporations trying to squeeze every penny advantage out of it and be in conflict with the public interest. I'd venture to guess that it (the isp industry) may not have started out on the path to being a turd, but historical events changed the smell so much that it's closer to what the ROCK is cookin..

»www.urbandictionary.com/ ··· rm=smell what The Rock is cooking