spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Traffic/Packet Shaping Appliances

We're looking to upgrade our internet bandwidth from 200 - 500Mbps, and with that, our existing PacketShaper 7500 will have to be replaced. We quoted out the PacketShaper 12000, which will handle over 1Gbps of shaping, but Bluecoat is wanting a stupendous amount of money for it.

Needless to say, we will be examining other options for traffic shaping. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the feature set included with the PacketShaper and it works like a dream, but it is hard to justify that cost. That being said, what are the other players in the traffic shaping market?
kc8jwt
join:2005-10-27
Belpre, OH

kc8jwt

We had those years ago in our schools and they were awesome. When Bluecoat bought them, the price went through the roof.

It would be interesting to see what other people have. I wish I had a device like that on my networks here.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Bluecoat is wanting a stupendous amount of money for it.

what was the quoted amount?

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

With 500Mbps of shaping along with support, it was $45k
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Even with my heavy discounts my quotes are not much better. ask em for more of a discount. We are quoted at 39 K. That quote was 5 months ago.

Nate425
Premium Member
join:2005-02-03
Charlottesville, VA

Nate425 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
We're using exinda. They work fine for what we do. I think we paid 50k for 2 of them, but not positive on that.

ilikeanon
@comcast.net

ilikeanon to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
We use Peplink, great experience 6 years running, combining 100/100/80Mbps connections - but they have models that do much higher.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I seriously looked at these - »www.netequalizer.com/nda.htm
Not sure on price, but I would doubt it's anywhere near the "stupendous" pricing of Bluecoat.

We ended up with a Cymphonix box, which Untangle just bought out, so I'm not sure I'll stay with them when renewal time comes. We went with it at the time because it also does some websense type filtering/reporting as well, and it's worked out decently so far (though it does have its quirks).

If you're strictly after shaping/throttling, maybe the net equalizer would be a good fit?

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Currently, I'm torn between the NetEqualizer and Exinda - would love to hear from anyone who has used either.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
said by amungus:

We ended up with a Cymphonix box, which Untangle just bought out, so I'm not sure I'll stay with them when renewal time comes. We went with it at the time because it also does some

Cymphonix Network Composer' are really good units if you can figure out how to utilize advanced rulesets and turn on SSL filtering (in the event you're concerned about people bypassing filters).

The only downside are a couple of the support reps are grossly arrogant to the point where they won't answer your questions and instead will cut you off and talk for about 5 minutes rather than hearing what you were actually saying.

Nate425
Premium Member
Charlottesville, VA

Nate425 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
said by Hazy Arc:

Currently, I'm torn between the NetEqualizer and Exinda - would love to hear from anyone who has used either.

So, we have 2 1 Gbps internet connections with an exinda before each one. We are able to divide up the bandwidth however we want, prioritize or block certain sites/applications, etc. The set up and maintenance is fairly straight forward,and their documentation/support is decent. Did you have specific questions? I think either of those choices would do what you need.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Do you have the ability to slice out dedicated amounts of bandwidth by internal IP/subnet, or external IP/domain?

Nate425
Premium Member
Charlottesville, VA

Nate425

Premium Member

Yep, you can divide your pipe up however you want with inbound and outbound rules, or have it all available to everyone, and just prioritize traffic based on application,IP, etc.