spc
Search similar:

uniqs
smokey92070
join:2012-12-19
Santa Ysabel, CA

smokey92070

software change

Has anyone else noticed a software change? Mine used to be 1.5.4.1.1. for a long time, I think it changed on 3/26 to 2.2.0.0.26. The only difference I noticed was upload speed went down by 50 % to below 1 Mpbs, download speed the same at roughly 16 Mbps.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

My SB-2 modem still has 1.5.4.1.1.

I'm on Exede-5...just have to wait-n-see
smokey92070
join:2012-12-19
Santa Ysabel, CA

smokey92070

Spoke to soon...upload back to normal ,about 3Mbps...must have been the crappy weather....This is the best forum compared to the other (get no satisfaction)
smokey92070

smokey92070

Click for full size
smokey92070

smokey92070

Click for full size
not a mistake software version UT2.2.0.0.26
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to smokey92070

to smokey92070
Click for full size
said by smokey92070:

Has anyone else noticed a software change?

On Exede-5, WB-1:163, mine was recently updated...now it has two language selections at top...and now the colored satellite has changed from being on the left to now being on the right with a different color.
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan to smokey92070

to smokey92070
said by smokey92070:

This is the best forum compared to the other (get no satisfaction)

Even better:

»www.wildblueworld.com/forum/

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to smokey92070

Premium Member

to smokey92070
My software just got updated to UT_2.2.0.0.26 . I would have preferred for it to have been updated at midnight rather than noon, but my system wasn't out for very long.

One difference that I have noticed is that my cable attenuation is hovering around 14 dB. (!) It used to hang out around 7 dB.
james1979

james1979 to smokey92070

Premium Member

to smokey92070
I was serious about the cable attenuation becoming extreme:

I did not notice the attenuation peaking until the software change. But then I don't normally monitor my cable attenuation. So the mystery is, did I suddenly develop a cable attenuation problem, or is that some type of bug in the new SB2 software?
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to smokey92070

to smokey92070
said by smokey92070:

Spoke to soon...upload back to normal ,about 3Mbps...must have been the crappy weather...

Four potential issues, when uploads go into the toliet:

1. Dish alignment
2. TRIA/Modem/Cable issue
3. Software update
4. A change in transmission method (e.g., tighter timing sequences)

Now, my uplink is in the toliet with just light/moderate rain, so is it number one, number three, or number four. In the toliet means, slower than dialup or nothing, as in read a book, clean your house, wash the dishes, etc.

High humidity will change amount of time from earth to satellite, so if a satellite ISP makes time interval between each sender too small, poof goes your uplink.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to james1979

to james1979
said by james1979:

did I suddenly develop a cable attenuation problem, or

If upload/download speeds are fine. there is not an issue.

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

OK, thanks. My speeds are still fine.

When the cable attenuation was 7-8 dB, you remarked that was high for a clear day. It's quite clear and sunny here now, with the cable attenuation right at 14 dB, so I was wondering.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by james1979:

When the cable attenuation was 7-8 dB

Only relevant item is Rx SNR, but even that varies.

Cable Attenuation, in ViaSat unofficial speak, may relate to actual cable length, or maybe to atmospherics (weather conditions).

Any more, those numbers are not relevant, in my book; DL/UL is what counts.

ViaSat keeps us in the dark, generally, when changes are made. Did they make changes on my beam back in March, when dry conditions existed, and now with the rains, finally, is this change causing my current in the toilet Upload issue...does ViaSat monitor a beam's upload speeds, months later, during rain showers, and compare to last year's performance...only ViaSat knows.
viasatguy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

viasatguy to james1979

Premium Member

to james1979
The cable attenuation shouldn't vary with weather.

The Rx signal to noise ratio (SNR) will vary with weather and this is the key performance metric to check first. With a clear sky Rx SNR of 9.3 dB, you should be working just fine.

The best clear sky Rx SNR varies from beam to beam and location in the beam, so you have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples when talking with others on different beams or locations within your beam.

If properly pointed, your neighbors and you should all have pretty similar SNRs but someone 50 or 100 miles away could see very different levels.

For example, my Rx SNR is 14.1 dB at the moment and my cable attenuation is being reported as 11 dB. Everything is working fine, though the cable attenuation does seem higher than I recall when the antenna was first installed. The run is fairly short, so maybe I'll measure the DC resistance and attenuation over frequency and compare to the modem's figures when I get some spare time. . .