R32Raines

join:2003-03-01
La Vergne, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TDS
·Comcast

News: TDS-TV Channel Blackouts Possible - Contract Disputes

I received this in my email today from TDS...

Fair-price negotiations under way in network dispute

You may be aware of the current discussions between TDS® and Viacom, the owner of BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Spike, TV Land and VH1.

When providers such as TDS dispute a network’s inflated demands for content, networks such as Viacom often respond by pulling its signal from you to gain leverage. The existing contract between TDS and Viacom expires March 31. If fair-price negotiations fail, Viacom may blackout its family of channels.

Although TDS would prefer Viacom kept its programming available throughout negotiations, it has no choice when disputing huge increases in network fees that ultimately impact customer bills. To learn more about this network dispute, please visit TVOnMySide.com. For a complete list of affected channels, see Channel 1.

As your local television provider, TDS appreciates your patronage and patience while these negotiations with Viacom continue.

Thank you,

Shane West
Vice President, Consumer Marketing & Product Development
TDS
--
100 Down/40 Up TDS FTTH / PFSense 2.1 Box on Pentium Dual Core E2140 and 2GB DDR2 / Cisco SG200-26 Smart Switch / Asus RT-N66U as WAP

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS

1 edit
Thanks for the heads-up.

I think it's great TDS is standing up for its customers. Having said that, it's the people that need to band together, and not freak out when channels are pulled.

Added... It might help if all of the TV providers banded together too

davidc502

Mount Juliet, TN
reply to R32Raines
Apparently this is pretty serious.

TDS has even opened a website called TVOnMySide which describes some of the stuff going on behind the scenes.

»tvonmyside.com/

davidc502

Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to R32Raines
When going to "Spike TV" webpage, I now see this banner, and about how I'm going to loose 24 channels.

--
Cord Cutter Hauppauge DTV Tuner Card PlayOn.tv Hulu.com Netflix.com Windows Media Center Guide.
Here's how »homes.yahoo.com/news/how-to-pay-···275.html

davidc502

Mount Juliet, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to R32Raines
More drama -- This is Viacom's side of things, and what they are saying.

"TONIGHT your TV Provider will drop up to 24 Viacom channels, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, TV Land, CMT, BET, Spike, VH1 and more.

We are offering your TV Provider a double-digit discount off of our standard rate card. It is a better deal than HUNDREDS of other TV providers in the country have agreed to. We have been actively trying to get a deal done with your TV Provider for months and they have refused to negotiate in any meaningful way. And now, on top of this, your TV Provider is throwing out numbers which simply aren’t true. Our expiring deal with your TV Provider is nearly five years old. In that time, we have been great partners and given your TV provider more channels, more on demand content and access to our content beyond the TV – at no additional cost. We don’t understand why your TV Provider has chosen to negotiate in this manner. And now, as a result of their lack of interest in coming to a mutually beneficial agreement, you are at risk of losing up to 24 Viacom networks. We are serious about getting a deal done - please call your TV provider and tell them to get serious too."

R32Raines

La Vergne, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
·Comcast
reply to R32Raines
Anytime in these situations, both sides wanna point the finger. The big companies each want to just want to make more money...then they raise rates on the consumer. It's all about the $$$.

My opinion...both sides are at fault because they're more concerned about how much money they make instead of taking care of the consumer. I'm happy that I have an alternative to Comcast and AT&T, but yet, TDS isn't perfect either. Profit is still #1 priority.
--
100 Down/40 Up TDS FTTH / PFSense 2.1 Box on Pentium Dual Core E2140 and 2GB DDR2 / Cisco SG200-26 Smart Switch / Asus RT-N66U as WAP

R32Raines

La Vergne, TN
Reviews:
·TDS
·Comcast
reply to R32Raines
Another interesting add-on to this story...

Tonight, I got an email from TDS asking me to take a survey about the situation (also enters to win a $100 Amazon gift card). The survey asks questions like how much I view/how important Viacom's channels are. Also things like would I pay more to keep those channels or would I prefer to have a discount for not receiving those channels...among other questions. Kind of interesting that they really are wanting the customer input, supposedly.
--