tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Cisco ASA 3rd edition

Cisco ASA: All-in-one Next-Generation Firewall, IPS, and VPN Services, 3rd Edition for pre-order.

Soon.... Very soon I'll pickup a 5505.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

...that book's been in my Amazon shopping cart for close to two years now. WHY Cisco keeps pushing back the release date, I've no idea...

Regards
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

The CCNA Security book from Cisco Press is missing material that came with the Pearson Education practice test I'm using to study.

That ought to give you some idea why. Lol

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
Can you post when it's finally released? Thanks.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
I wonder why you need to buy those books when there are free info at Cisco website, here at Cisco forum, and also at Google search result
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

When one lacks a good experienced mentor and current lab hardware, a structured learning approach with books is the next best bet.

I've been pretty lucky so far to have you guys too

Bigzizzzle
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27
Beverly Hills, CA

Bigzizzzle to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
I'm doing the same thing, i bought an ASA5505 but do to the features / licensing malarkey i haven't done much with it. I guess im eventually going to use it to replace my aging 1811W ISR.

I think you may find buying a used ASA5510 or ASA5520 is more advantageous then buying to $200-300 ASA with no options and limited features (it sucks).

Luckily i spend most my time in ASA5520's and ASA5580X equipment with 9.X OS'es haven't implemented much of the fancy features yet we just place them infront of my zones for servers etc.

Big learning topic is pre-post 8.3 NAT configuration, Learning and dealing with licensing, Policy configuration etc, controlling embryonic connections.
aryoba
MVM

1 edit

aryoba

MVM

Be careful with ASA 9.0x on production boxes since they have bugs. We have confirmimg TAC case and have "downgraded" new 5585 and 5515-X to the stable image of 8.6(1)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to Bigzizzzle

MVM

to Bigzizzzle
said by Bigzizzzle:

'm doing the same thing, i bought an ASA5505 but do to the features / licensing malarkey i haven't done much with it. I guess im eventually going to use it to replace my aging 1811W ISR.

oh ye of little bit-torrent search ability.
its entirely possible to hack the activation license of the asa devices. its just a hash key generated against features and the serial number of the device.

q.
tubbynet

tubbynet to aryoba

MVM

to aryoba
said by aryoba:

Be careful with ASA 9.0x on production boxes since they have bugs.

everything has bugs.
care to elaborate?

as an aside -- i wouldn't touch 9.x until it hits 9.1 stage -- we have some active/active datacenter demos utilizing clustering and lisp where 9.x is a requirement.

q.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

The bug id is CSCuc80080. Following is some description (Cisco CCO login needed).
»tools.cisco.com/bugsearc ··· e=dumpcr

In our case, the bug has caused a failover status of 5515-X pair to be flapping between Primary and Secondary.
aryoba

aryoba to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

said by aryoba:

Be careful with ASA 9.0x on production boxes since they have bugs.

as an aside -- i wouldn't touch 9.x until it hits 9.1 stage

There is already 9.1 though

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td ··· n91.html
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
said by tubbynet:

said by Bigzizzzle:

'm doing the same thing, i bought an ASA5505 but do to the features / licensing malarkey i haven't done much with it. I guess im eventually going to use it to replace my aging 1811W ISR.

oh ye of little bit-torrent search ability.
its entirely possible to hack the activation license of the asa devices. its just a hash key generated against features and the serial number of the device.

... I'll have to take a look at this... OFF company hours and OFF company equipment of course

Regards
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Ditto
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Indeed. It works, but you never, ever, want it to call home with that non-cisco key. (reports are it will revert to a base license if you do.) I've had no issue with my "hacked" lab gear.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
Published : APR 30 2014 (per ciscopress)

AMAZON.COM status : IN STOCK / pub date May 10 2014

...soooo who, daring enough to click "buy now" first?

Regards
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

$87 for bundle? Sheesh... Where's my Cisco Press discount?!?
aryoba
MVM

1 edit

aryoba

MVM

said by tired_runner:

$87 for bundle? Sheesh...

That is how they make money off you whose prefer to pay for free info available to anyone at Cisco website
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

My ADD kicks in quickly unless I have a structured reading approach to new material.
HELLFIRE
MVM

1 edit

HELLFIRE to tired_runner

MVM

to tired_runner
Click for full size
Ordered this book back on May 8th, showed up a week or so ago... now I just need time to read through this puppy!

EDIT : uploaded a pic of the book on my desk...

Regards
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I need to get an ASA5505 and this book. I've been putting it off for a while now.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

Now you've a reason to get one tired_runner See Profile

Regards