uniqs
robertc
Premium Member
join:2009-05-11
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

[CATV] Pasadena CA - 100% digital just announced

I just got a robocall from Charter saying the all-digital thing is coming soon and I should get a letter. No exact date.

One more question: do the default Charter boxes have a DVR?
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

no
robertc
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

Crud, it's a pain to get my own DVR or use the VCR.

Don't a lot of cable boxes have their own DVRs?
kherr
Premium Member
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

If you want to pay for DVR service, they'll give the proper hardware. Myself I use Tivo.
robertc
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

If you go on vacation for a week, how do you record shows on different channels?
kherr
Premium Member
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

With Tivo they have a thing called a "season pass". It will record the given show no matter what day/time it is. You can choose only new or new/repeat. It will not record a repeat that has been aired within the last 14 days I believe. Once the box has been online for a time, it maintains a 2 week schedule of future schedules. I don't know how Charter deals with it.

Doc Casualty
join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI

Doc Casualty to robertc

to robertc
said by robertc:

If you go on vacation for a week, how do you record shows on different channels?

It's very simple really. Just go to the onscreen guide, click on the show and click "record". If it's a series you want to record then click "series record". Charter DVRs have two tuners so you can have two shows maximum recording at the same time.
robertc
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

Doc, I was asking about using a cable box and a separate DVR. Is that how you do it?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by robertc:

Doc, I was asking about using a cable box and a separate DVR. Is that how you do it?

I haven't seen anyone try that in 10 years.

Just ask charter about their DVR.

Doc Casualty
join:2005-02-06
Harbor Springs, MI

Doc Casualty to robertc

to robertc
said by robertc:

I was asking about using a cable box and a separate DVR.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were asking. I use Charter DVRs, not a STB and separate DVR. While Charter DVR service costs $20/month and and additional $7/month rental for the DVR, it's simple and smooth to use.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej to robertc

to robertc
said by robertc:

Yep, you need to use this digital upgrade as an incentive to enter the 21st century. There are tons of better recording options these days. If you can't stomach the cost of Tivo or Charter's DVRs, using a PC is a very cheap option and works just as well as Tivo.

If you have only one DVR from Charter, service is only $12 I think. $20 is for 2 or more. That fee is zero with Tivo or a PC.

If I were you, I'd sell that old DVR and get a nice dual-tuner used Tivo with lifetime for about $300. That way you have no Charter equipment fees at all, no cable box either.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to robertc

Anon

to robertc
said by robertc:

Crud, it's a pain to get my own DVR or use the VCR.

Don't a lot of cable boxes have their own DVRs?

Just swap out your regular cable box for a DVR
mdavej
united state

mdavej

... and start paying an additional $12 per month.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by mdavej:

... and start paying an additional $12 per month.

So? The OP asked if regular Charter boxes had DVR capabilities. If they did he'd be paying the $12 regardless.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

So... if he asks Charter for a DVR, he may not be aware it's going to cost extra. Faced with $12/month plus $7 for the box itself and an interface from the 80's, I'd go for a used Tivo.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by mdavej:

So... if he asks Charter for a DVR, he may not be aware it's going to cost extra.

yes because some customer paying $7 just for a regular box and others paying the same $7 for a DVR and pay no extra cost sounds logical.

Faced with $12/month plus $7 for the box itself and an interface from the 80's, I'd go for a used Tivo.

Except all the interfaces for all the boxes will come from the head end via IP not the box after the digital conversion is done.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

said by Mr Guy :

yes because some customer paying $7 just for a regular box and others paying the same $7 for a DVR and pay no extra cost sounds logical.

To someone who's never had a cable box or a DVR, it may be logical. At least I'm trying to be helpful. You're just being snarky.

Except all the interfaces for all the boxes will come from the head end via IP not the box after the digital conversion is done.

I'll believe that when I see it. Could still be years away for all we know, if it ever comes at all. And it may cost more and work terribly. Remember Tivo and whole-home DVRs from Charter? They don't have a very good track record following through.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

said by mdavej:

So... if he asks Charter for a DVR, he may not be aware it's going to cost extra.

Faced with $12/month plus $7 for the box itself and an interface from the 80's, I'd go for a used Tivo.

actually the guide will have a client on the box and part of the guide will be cloud based not the entire thing mainly the VOD portal and guide data and logos and stuff like that will be cloud based charter has said it would a be a cloud hybrid guide. the real game changer is moving the legacy boxes data off of the box on to an IP transport and likely what is going to happen is charter may see if they can use DSG on the older boxes if they weren't too cheap to not order boxes without a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. the older motorola boxes all have DOCSIS 2.0 modems save for the oldest DCT2000 and likely DCT5100, DCT6200, DCT6208.

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone to mdavej

to mdavej
technically it's already done. If you use the charter tv app for iPad its the same guide that will be pushed to STB's in the future.

wingspar
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Oregon

wingspar to robertc

Premium Member

to robertc
I have a DVR, not a charter box. Will it still work? I never turn the TV on anymore without it cause it allows me to pause live TV and fast forward thru commercials.

oneoone
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

If it has a cable card yes, if not.. no.

techie01
@charter.com

techie01 to mdavej

Anon

to mdavej
Samsung also just launched their own line of Cable card ready devices which include which I've heard are fantastic so OP you may want to look into that also as you then only rent a cable card through Charter which is $2.00/mo and the free box offer does apply to cable cards too.

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

said by techie01 :

Samsung also just launched their own line of Cable card ready devices which include which I've heard are fantastic so OP you may want to look into that also as you then only rent a cable card through Charter which is $2.00/mo and the free box offer does apply to cable cards too.

Do you have a link to those Samsung units?

I don't have any options for a cable card.

Are you saying that the set box requires a cable card too?

oneoone
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· i=507846

Yes unless you get a box from Charter you will need a set top box that uses a cable card and tuning adapter.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

The Samsung is just a cable box you buy rather than rent. It has no DVR capabilities whatsoever. You'd be saving $5/month after the first year, meaning you wouldn't break even until nearly 2018.
lizaphile
join:2007-06-18
Sheboygan, WI

lizaphile to robertc

to robertc
Depending on the office, Charter does give out all-DVR boxes for HD; it's that way with mine. The last time I exchanged a box I did get a DVR unit though without the DVR service activated as I didn't need it as it was for a HTPC setup, that way you can apply your existing solution, be it a VHS/DVD-R solution or other kind of recording solution (the Charter box should come with VCR timer/channel switching features if the DVR is deactivated). If you do need a DVR eventually though, a simple call to activate the DVR feature it is all it takes.

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar to oneoone

Premium Member

to oneoone
said by oneoone:

Yes unless you get a box from Charter you will need a set top box that uses a cable card and tuning adapter.

Thank you. That's the clearest answer I've had yet.
wingspar

wingspar to mdavej

Premium Member

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

The Samsung is just a cable box you buy rather than rent. It has no DVR capabilities whatsoever. You'd be saving $5/month after the first year, meaning you wouldn't break even until nearly 2018.

Obviously, not something I need. I'll just see how the stb from Charter works before I make the final decision to move to Direct-TV
wingspar

wingspar to lizaphile

Premium Member

to lizaphile
said by lizaphile:

Depending on the office, Charter does give out all-DVR boxes for HD; it's that way with mine. The last time I exchanged a box I did get a DVR unit though without the DVR service activated as I didn't need it as it was for a HTPC setup, that way you can apply your existing solution, be it a VHS/DVD-R solution or other kind of recording solution (the Charter box should come with VCR timer/channel switching features if the DVR is deactivated). If you do need a DVR eventually though, a simple call to activate the DVR feature it is all it takes.

Well, that's certainly not explained by Charter. Then again, not much is. Not on their web site at all, and I would think this should be on their front page. Thanks for the explanation.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

You realize that you'll be in exactly the same situation with DirecTV. If you're leaving because you have to use a box, then why are you going to another provider that also requires boxes, has fewer channels, charges extra for HD, loses it's picture in heavy rain and cloud cover, and requires a 2 year commitment?