Search similar:

uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to mdavej

to mdavej

Re: [CATV] Pasadena CA - 100% digital just announced

This is why most of the whining makes little sense to me. Every other provider would require something in regards to equipment.

The rest of the whining is coming from basic/expanded people receiving signals they're not usually paying for being shut off.

wingspar
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Oregon

wingspar to mdavej

Premium Member

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

You realize that you'll be in exactly the same situation with DirecTV. If you're leaving because you have to use a box, then why are you going to another provider that also requires boxes, has fewer channels, charges extra for HD, loses it's picture in heavy rain and cloud cover, and requires a 2 year commitment?

Because it would be a choice I would make, not something forced on me. Charter's service has gone downhill over the years, and Direct TV is cheaper.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by wingspar:

said by mdavej:

You realize that you'll be in exactly the same situation with DirecTV. If you're leaving because you have to use a box, then why are you going to another provider that also requires boxes, has fewer channels, charges extra for HD, loses it's picture in heavy rain and cloud cover, and requires a 2 year commitment?

Because it would be a choice I would make, not something forced on me. Charter's service has gone downhill over the years, and Direct TV is cheaper.

DirecTV is not cheaper. And the all digital upgrades will result in significantly more channels than DirecTV

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar

Premium Member

said by mixdup:

DirecTV is not cheaper. And the all digital upgrades will result in significantly more channels than DirecTV

Direct TV is considerably cheaper... for at least the first year or two depending on which plan one chooses. After that, it's a mystery. Probably buried deep on their web site so the average person can't find it. I despise shady marketing techniques. As I said in an earlier post, I'm more interested in quality of channels offered, Not quantity.

I've had a few days to cool down, and I'll give the stb some time before I make a final decision to change. If my DVR continues to work, I may not change.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

no skin off my nose either way, but in my case charter was cheaper. make sure you are getting a bundle price because you'll get a discount on your internet vs. directv + charter internet

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to wingspar

Premium Member

to wingspar
More than likely your DVR doesn't support real HD output. Probably records and plays 480p resolution.

Are the channel numbers you're watching displayed as something like 4 or 4-2?
Many cable systems now have 3 copies of the same channel; 1 in analog version, 1 digital sd simulcast version, and possibly 1 HD version. All will have different channel numbers when connected to a non-cable provider authorized device.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

A DVD/HDD recorder only has SD inputs. It's just as difficult to record from a satellite box as a cable box. I did it for years, back when satellite DVRs were very expensive and Charter was in the toilet.

wingspar
Premium Member
Oregon

wingspar to mixdup

Premium Member

to mixdup
said by mixdup:

no skin off my nose either way, but in my case charter was cheaper. make sure you are getting a bundle price because you'll get a discount on your internet vs. directv + charter internet

I just paid my bill today. TV is $64.99 for basic and expanded basic. Very expensive for what it is. Charter site seems to say it is $29.95

Charter internet is $56.99. Also very expensive, and never more than 19mbps when it's supposed to be 30mbps. I just now checked it and it is 4.25mbps. Very poor and Very expensive but the slow speeds are normal. With tax, it costs me $129.29 a month for Charter. For what I get, that is Extremely expensive.
wingspar

wingspar to mdavej

Premium Member

to mdavej
said by mdavej:

A DVD/HDD recorder only has SD inputs. It's just as difficult to record from a satellite box as a cable box. I did it for years, back when satellite DVRs were very expensive and Charter was in the toilet.

Here is a description of my DVR

Magnavox MDR537H 1TB HDD & DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner

Records Up to 1252 Hours of Content
Video, Audio & Still Picture Playback
Pause & Rewind Live TV While Recording
Fast Forward While Recording Live TV
Supports 4-Way Dubbing & Dolby Digital
Features Full HD 1080p Up-Conversion
HDMI Output & DV Input
Multiple Analog A/V Inputs & Outputs
Three-Language On-Screen Display
Remote Control Included
wingspar

wingspar to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Are the channel numbers you're watching displayed as something like 4 or 4-2?
Many cable systems now have 3 copies of the same channel; 1 in analog version, 1 digital sd simulcast version, and possibly 1 HD version. All will have different channel numbers when connected to a non-cable provider authorized device.

The channels show up normaly. 2, 3, 4 5, 6, and so on. Seems to be about 3 CBS's

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by wingspar:

The channels show up normaly. 2, 3, 4 5, 6, and so on. Seems to be about 3 CBS's

You were watching analog channels through a device that records at 480p resolution. Far from HD.
mdavej
united state

mdavej to wingspar

to wingspar
said by wingspar:

said by mdavej:

Here is a description of my DVR

Magnavox MDR537H 1TB HDD & DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner

Records Up to 1252 Hours of Content
Video, Audio & Still Picture Playback
Pause & Rewind Live TV While Recording
Fast Forward While Recording Live TV
Supports 4-Way Dubbing & Dolby Digital
Features Full HD 1080p Up-Conversion
HDMI Output & DV Input
Multiple Analog A/V Inputs & Outputs
Three-Language On-Screen Display
Remote Control Included

I'm very familiar with those. As I said, it only has SD INPUTS and can only record in SD. It has HDMI outputs and "upconverts" SD material to 1080p, but that's just 480p scaled up. It's not HD. But you have no interest in HD anyway, so what does it matter.

The DV input will read a 1080p signal from a camcorder, but it takes it back down to 480p for recording. You can't use the DV input with a cable or satellite box anyway.

These things have been around for years, and they still won't record HD from an external source. If they could, everybody and his brother would buy one. With no guide and the death of clear QAM, these things are of very limited use now.

You can get an HD recorder with guide for OTA for $40 now. And you can get a full HD cable card dual tuner is only $100. It gets all encrypted channels in full HD and has multiple independent tuners, depending on which model. That or Tivo is the way to go these days, if you have cable. You keep saying Tivo is overkill, but it's the same price as your Magnavox and solves all your problems: no cable boxes or cable box fees required, no timers, no complicated hookups, and no change to your service besides the addition of a $2 cable card. Just because Tivo can do a whole lot more doesn't mean you have to use all that functionality if you don't want to. It's simply the best tool for the job at the lowest cost.
robertc
Premium Member
join:2009-05-11
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

I just found out that Pasadena will require boxes for everyone on Apr. 22, 2014.
robertc

robertc

Premium Member

I got my box today at the Charter store. They said there's one HD box and one SD box. A box with a DVR is $7 per month but "DVR service" is $19.99. I just got the one HD box which is a Cisco Explorer 4640HDC.

I was pleased that the box was covered in cellophane, but when I had Comcast in SF the boxes were all dented and dusty.

I took it home and installed it and called the number to activate. It went through the loading but then cycled back to "Not Authorized". I called them again and they sent me to a real person after 3 minutes. He activated it again and it seems to be okay.
mdavej
united state

mdavej

If you have 2 or more DVR's, service is $20. But if you only have one, it's only supposed to be $12 or $13.
robertc
Premium Member
join:2009-05-11
Pasadena, CA

robertc

Premium Member

I got the letter today. It actually says April 29. It doesn't matter to me, but some other people might be surprised when that day comes if they don't have a box.
robertc

robertc

Premium Member

Well, it happened last night right after midnight.
They renumbered a lot of channels also.