uniqs

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2

Premium Member

Baseboard radiator heating fins in crawlspace

I purchased a zero-lot-line back in August. While in the crawlspace moving coax from one room to another, I noticed that the heater piping in one place has radiator fins installed. These appear to the be the same fins that would be installed in a normal radiator, but with no cover. Obviously, this is going to be releasing a significant amount of heat into the crawlspace, thereby reducing heating efficiency. I thought maybe it was to warm the airflow into the boiler room, but it's on the other side of the house. Heating is natural gas, if that matters.

Is there a reason these fins might have been installed? They're on only one area that I could see, and about 2 ft (600 mm) worth. I was thinking this summer I would get them removed or cover them in insulation if they're unnecessary.

Thanks!

Image included, red line is the approximate location of the fins.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

My guess based on your location, to provide minimal heat under the house to help with pipes freezing. I wouldn't imagine it would be enough to be an impact on the overall efficiency.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

i agree but i would think it would have been placed where the bathroom is instead
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to koolman2

Premium Member

to koolman2
Perhaps they had a cold spot on the bedroom floor?
brodgers
join:2006-03-20
Gillett, WI

brodgers to koolman2

to koolman2
It is not uncommon to see fins directly under the underside of a floor to provide a heated floor. This was done before the days of PEX typically next to the tub in a bathroom where you step out of the tub or in a kitchen where there is no wall space for a typical baseboard radiator.

Do you know if your house was ever remodeled in the past where the room layouts were changed? That is a rather odd place to have this.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to koolman2

Mod

to koolman2
Can you post pics of them?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to koolman2

to koolman2
remember that heat rises, so it's not wasted. checking average temperatures in Anchorage, it goes down to 11F average in winter, but can go down to -38F. special considerations are needed in Alaska because of the cold..

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2

Premium Member

Thanks guys.

My initial thought was the same: they're for minimal heating under the house to help guard against freezing pipes. The problem with that, though, is that there is absolutely no plumbing anywhere near it.

For clarification: in my floor plan there, the right-side wall is the shared wall. All the plumbing is separate from the other unit. All plumbing is obviously located in the kitchen, utility room, and bathroom.

I'll try to get down there today and take some pictures. I'll double check the other areas as well to see if maybe they're installed in more than one place.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

I would be curious to know if the other unit is a mirror of yours with a radiator in the same spot.

shdesigns