share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to removed

Re: Triple monitor video card woes

Well on at least newer dell systems I've seen I know that you can use both at the same time, I've set that up. You already checked the bios right? I've found Dell support doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground, and tend to be useless script monkeys.

With the estimated power consumption of the 6450 being less than 30w maybe you'll be ok. So if this has that cheap pentium processor which only uses 55w, call the board 45w, and two drives at 10w each that leaves plenty for a 30w video card.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

said by BlitzenZeus:

You already checked the bios right? I've found Dell support doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground, and tend to be useless script monkeys.

Yup. Updated to the latest BIOS, too. There *is* a setting for the default video card when an addon card is in place. Setting it to Intel HD Graphics does nothing - there is absolutely no video output from the VGA or HDMI port - only from the addon card.

The techs for OptiPlex and other small business systems are much better than the consumer level guys. This technician was great to work with and knew his stuff much better than most. I believe, based on my own experimentation with the system, that he's right in saying that running onboard+addon simultaneously just doesn't work.

This system, by the way, is running an i5 CPU with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SATA HDD.

Who else agrees with aurgathor See Profile's assessment of the requirements shown on »www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio···=1&leg=0 ?

Any other recommendations for cards are appreciated. I'm looking for the most foolproof way to run 3 outputs on this machine - it will be going to an essential person in this office who doesn't have time to mess around with various quirks. Her current system runs multiple video cards and requires that the resolution be set and monitor settings dragged into place again after each reboot.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

said by removed:

said by BlitzenZeus:

You already checked the bios right? I've found Dell support doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground, and tend to be useless script monkeys.

Yup. Updated to the latest BIOS, too. There *is* a setting for the default video card when an addon card is in place. Setting it to Intel HD Graphics does nothing - there is absolutely no video output from the VGA or HDMI port - only from the addon card.

The techs for OptiPlex and other small business systems are much better than the consumer level guys. This technician was great to work with and knew his stuff much better than most. I believe, based on my own experimentation with the system, that he's right in saying that running onboard+addon simultaneously just doesn't work.

I deal with lots of 390s and 3010s at work and I can confirm this (the 390 config you posted is identical to ours, hehe). You have to go up to the 790 to be able to use both onboard and discrete graphics at the same time.

I use a 7010 at work with a Radeon HD 7470, which is basically a slightly faster 6450. It's running two monitors at 1680x1050, one rotated in portrait view. It runs great, even with a dozen windows open. There's a couple of people in the office that are using dual 1920x1200 monitors with a 7470 as well, no issues. No triple-monitor setups here though, although in theory they can handle up to 4 when using DisplayPort.

Normally using three TMDS-driven monitors (DVI or HDMI) on such a card would be an issue, as until recently they generally could only run two of them (not enough PLLs to go around, each TMDS connection requires a dedicated PLL). Considering the info on that particular card specifically mentions three DVI or HDMI monitors, you should be good to go.
--
KI6RIT