Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [DVR] Installation questions

said by Mike Wolf:

Now to find out the Cisco model info.

Only a handful of VHOs have Cisco equipment available. Where Cisco gear is available, Motorola/Arris is also used. Simulcrypt must be launched in any VHO where both brands are to be used. For now, the VMS is Arris only.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to mackey

to mackey
No, of course not, but I just wanted to know the model numbers. From what I've heard around the TiVo Roamio forums there have been issues getting certain cablecard models stating as being able to do 6 streams to actually use all 6 tuners and in some cases it was determined to be a hardware limitation due to the age of the card that firmware updates weren't able to resolve, thus resulting in card replacement to newer models.

I understand the firmware version Verizon uses on their Motorola cards, but I'm also trying to determine the firmware version and hardware model number they use for their Cisco/SA cards as well due to the issues I previously mentioned. I'm simply trying to be prepared for everything.

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth

Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the equipment being provided to you the day of actual install,refurb, new, new old stock.Cable cards sometimes sit, and are definitely recycled, the only control you have is wiring, and any other extras you will be adding.
Knowing all the little issues that can arise is great this way you can check for them and have any resolved a.s.a.p.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I totally agree. Being aware of what issues to look for both during the installation and later on down the road allows for much faster troubleshooting and resolution, which makes everyone happy and less stressed. That's why a properly trained technician is so essential to a successful home theater build and its maintenance.

SeanWhite
@myvzw.com

SeanWhite to mushmouth

Anon

to mushmouth
There's always ways of obtaining new equipment, just have to have to know the right people or have the cash and be willing to do the work. It's notoriously easier for independent home theater installers to acquire brand new equipment for their clients then Verizon installers that use whatever the warehouse decides to put in their trucks before heading out to a job.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

As newer technology starts being implemented, newer equipment begins being phased in based on customer demand and older equipment gets phased out very quickly.