Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

2 edits

jchambers28

Premium Member

New intel 9xxx chipset specs

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is the new Intel 9xxx chipset specs not much of a change on 1150 yawn.

»www.techpowerup.com/1993 ··· ets.html

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Yeah, not a lot in the way of a surprise on both counts with respect to LGA1150 / Z97 /H97 and LGA2011-3 /X99.

No Intel IGP for the Haswell-E platform isn't surprising but good to see confirmation. Now the question for me is if X99 boards will have Intel Thunderbolt II support. This is more out of curiosity then anything else. Since the new Mac Pro is based on the old LGA2011 platform and has Thunderbolt II its clear Intel can and will allow Thunderbolt on systems without an Intel IGP but they are being really inconsistent and unpredictable.

Either way I'm more interested in an X99 platform then a Z97 platform and don't necessarily care about Thunderbolt II. Still, Thunderbolt seems to be billed as a high-end and expensive solution so there is no reason or excuse for it to be omitted from the high-end solution like X99 boards,...... or for that matter older X79 boards,....

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

if I start seeing a need for more PCIE slots like pcie ssd. I would rather go to a PLX board like this one. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13128594 SLI and a PCIE SSD.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Yeah, its kind of academic for me since I'm not necessarily in a market for a new system right now.

I thought I was because a while back my old HP MediaSmart EX490 Windows Home Server went down and I frantically replaced it by making an existing Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500K / Asus P8P67 Pro based system into a replacement server running Microsoft Server 2012 Essentials. So I was down a system and wanted to replace it for a while but I've been able to manage OK without it thus far. I was also able to bring back the old HP server (twice) but kept the new server.

My main system then and now is based on a Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K processor and Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard that has been serving me fairly well for years. It still feels quite powerful so I think I'll stick with that for a good while longer unless it fails in some irreparable way. If I were to replace it or if I needed a new additional system it probably would be X99 based though.
Octavean

1 edit

Octavean to jchambers28

MVM

to jchambers28
quote:
Haswell-E will effectively replace the recently released Ivy Bridge-E CPUs. This will be the first time that Intel will be providing an 8-core CPU in their desktop lineup. Intel will be offering 6-8 core CPUs with their Haswell-E lineup that has a massive 20 MB of L3 smart cache and the same integrated voltage regulator as Haswell. This means the flagship Haswell-E chip will ship with a TDP of around 130-140W which is about 10-20W under the i7-3970X which only has 6 cores. Intel is shooting for a 55% IPC improvement over quad cores with Haswell-E.

»www.thinkcomputers.org/i ··· erboard/

6 to 8 cores suggests to me that the entry level 5000 series Haswell-E processor may have 6 cores. That's better then Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E entry level processors at 4 cores. Also if the pricing for entry level is the same as in the past then ~$300 would be a great price for a 6 core i7 processor.

55% IPC improvement over quad cores with Haswell-E,.......that sounds lofty. Not sure what to make of it.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

why don't intel add more PCI_E lanes for 11xx motherboards PCIE ssd's are becoming a norm.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

It looks like they took the extra PCI-E lanes and used them to add more native SATA ports.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I am not switching platforms till I see Sata express and DDR 4 on the same board.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

2 edits

Octavean

MVM

said by jchambers28:

I am not switching platforms till I see Sata express and DDR 4 on the same board.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some implementation of SATAe on some Haswell-E boards and DDR4 is already confirmed. Still Haswell-E motherboards are likely to be relatively expensive (probably starting at about ~$350 or so). DDR4 won't likely be cheap either given that it'll be so new. Also entry level Haswell-E processors may well start at ~$300 like entry level Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E processors but then again you never know.

Edit:

If the entry level Haswell-E processor really does have 6 cores and 12 threads then maybe Intel will charge more then ~$300 for it given the advantage it would have over the more common 4 core 8 threads available on LGA1105.