dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RezzIA
join:2014-03-28

RezzIA

[IA] What's with all the 12am-6am maintenance lately, mediacom?

I understand maintenance is needed from time to time, but there has been a CRAZY amount of nightly maintenance going on lately. Anyone else experiencing this in Iowa or nearby regions?

Every 2 nights my internet is unresponsive and/or incredibly slow during the 12am-6am maintenance window. I call the support number and they tell me they are doing maintenance... again.

Just wondering what's going on over at mediacom. This 3-4 nights a week of not being able to use the internet is getting rather frustrating.

Lester
@mchsi.com

Lester

Anon

My slowdown started earlier this week. Started at 5pm last night, and is still slow. Are we being switched from AT&T to a Comcast backbone? From QuadCities
RezzIA

1 edit

RezzIA

said by Lester :

My slowdown started earlier this week. Started at 5pm last night, and is still slow. Are we being switched from AT&T to a Comcast backbone? From QuadCities

I'm also from the quad cities. It's been bad for a few weeks here, and this nightly 6 hour maintenance is getting ridiculous. I wish they would let us know what's going on.

edit: right after I posted this my latency spiked to 850ms. Too bad there's no other ISPs in the area.

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to RezzIA

to RezzIA
No problems here in the QC...

Lester
@mchsi.com

Lester to RezzIA

Anon

to RezzIA
My numbers seem to be back to near normal. I hope it will continue. I too wish there were a better ISP in this area. I have been with these guys since back when it was @home. New people get better prices than faithful customers. Not good for retaining customers, but we have no where else to go but DSL.
RezzIA

RezzIA to Bierboy

to Bierboy
said by Bierboy:

No problems here in the QC...

You're also on the other side of the river. I'm on the Iowa side.

Anyway, I did have a very helpful tech who did indeed confirm there were some problems in my area. Hopefully they get fixed soon. I guess that also explains the 6 hour maintenance every 2 days.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I find maintenance being done to be a good thing, as it means Mediacom is trying to fix something. Stuff being fixed is good.

That you guys notice work in the maintenance window must mean you work a swing shift at John Deere or something, as I am always sleeping then.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to RezzIA

Premium Member

to RezzIA
I know that there has been a lot of work performed concerning utilization issues at the master headend, though I don't show frequent and recurring maintenance postings in response to this, myself. I can confirm overnight maintenance affecting internet performance on, both, the 25th and the 21st, there have been no other postings in the recent past. Other maintenance work has been done, but this was concerning video frequencies or OnDemand services. If you'd like, please send me an IM with your account info and I can see if I can dig anything more up on the specific area.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to Lester

to Lester
Not sure if you've heard, but Davenport has FINALLY started thinking about getting into the 21st century and start their own internet service. Hopefully they'll get on the ball and get it running sooner rather than later.

MEDIACOM SUX
@mchsi.com

MEDIACOM SUX to RezzIA

Anon

to RezzIA

Mediacom's SUPPOSED 24/7 support number does NOT work 24/7!

Mediacom's SUPPOSED 24/7 support number does NOT work 24/7!

I tried to call their "24/7 tech support" during their daily maintenance and they said "please excuse us, we're conducting maintenance, thank you, good-bye..." Their freaking answering machine hangs up on you! What if my cable box were on fire... Seriously people... Mediacom's tech support is supposed to be available 24/7... And I get a ROBOT that hangs up on me that thinks it knows what I'm calling about and blows me off... *click!*

Bob Dobbs
@mchsi.com

Bob Dobbs to RezzIA

Anon

to RezzIA

Re: [IA] What's with all the 12am-6am maintenance lately, mediacom?

mediacom's cable is CONSTANTLY down and the won't answer the phones. They claim its "maintenance"
Expand your moderator at work
hdtv00
join:2003-06-13
Silvis, IL

hdtv00 to RezzIA

to RezzIA

Re: [IA] What's with all the 12am-6am maintenance lately, mediacom?

I'm in the QC too in Silvis and it's same thing here as well it was out all night when I was up trying to do stuff.
RezzIA

RezzIA to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

I know that there has been a lot of work performed concerning utilization issues at the master headend, though I don't show frequent and recurring maintenance postings in response to this, myself. I can confirm overnight maintenance affecting internet performance on, both, the 25th and the 21st, there have been no other postings in the recent past. Other maintenance work has been done, but this was concerning video frequencies or OnDemand services. If you'd like, please send me an IM with your account info and I can see if I can dig anything more up on the specific area.

Thanks for the info, Chad! There was maintenance on 21st, 24th (don't why this date wasn't logged), 25th, and 27th (last night). When I called on those nights to see why my internet wasn't working, that's what they told me.

That's FOUR nights in the last week. I've been keeping a record of it. That's quite a bit of maintenance, so hopefully something is being fixed. I noticed a work truck in the area today, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and keeping us updated. I did contact tech support who is sending a tech out, although he did mention it was most likely an area problem and not me specifically. Doesn't hurt to check though, I guess.

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to hdtv00

to hdtv00
said by hdtv00:

I'm in the QC too in Silvis and it's same thing here as well it was out all night when I was up trying to do stuff.

As I posted earlier, I'm experiencing none of the problems that have been posted here. And I'm right next door in East Moline.
RezzIA

1 edit

RezzIA

Just hit midnight, and the internet problems start as per usual. Literally, right at 12:01am my skype and online game crashes. Now I have super high latency and lag. Every night. Same time.

I mean, seriously, does Mediacom have to do maintenance EVERY SINGLE NIGHT between 12am and 6am? This is absurd, especially on a friday. Two fridays in a row, nonetheless.

Chad, can you PLEASE look into this? This would make it 5 out of the last 7 nights in the 52722 area where the internet was slow as dialup. At this rate, I might as well just be using dialup.
CR_Client
join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

CR_Client

Is it really maintenance, or is that just the canned answer you get from CS? Because most maintenances that I ran never ran on time THAT consistently.

It almost sounds like someone's bringing their own server farm online every night at midnight and causing congestion for their neighbors. Are you near any banks or other businesses that might be transmitting massive amounts of data on a regular, nightly basis?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to RezzIA

Premium Member

to RezzIA
RezzIA, please send me an IM with your account number or phone number, and I will look further into this.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

2 edits

Riverpilot to RezzIA

to RezzIA
It would help if the maintenance page worked properly.

Whatever they're doing, it's going in the wrong direction for me. Have the 100 d/l package and having problems getting 30d/l today.

:sigh:
RezzIA

RezzIA to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

RezzIA, please send me an IM with your account number or phone number, and I will look further into this.

The internet came back up around 1am so maybe it wasn't maintenance but was pretty slow and laggy. Still though, it's been 4 nights in the last week where it was completely unusable.

Chad, I already called customer service, and they claim they are going to dispatch some techs in the area to check it out. So I'll just hope for the best. Thanks for the quick replies!

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You're welcome RezzIA. If this is ongoing and you ever want just feel free to send me a message and I'll further work with you.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Tech came out. Nothing wrong with our equipment here. He did say they were way over capacity in the area which is why there has been so much maintenance and outages. Too many people and too little bandwidth.

Of course right after he leaves the internet goes down. And then today it's being incredibly slow as well.

Really wish Mediacom would get this sorted out. It's very frustrating.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

There was an issue in Iowa City posted, but has since been resolved. How are your speeds now?
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to RezzIA

to RezzIA
Isn't it stated somewhere that there "may be" maintenance downtime between 12am - 6am?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You can go to »mediacomcable.com/Maintenance/ and at the bottom of the page, it states "Please be advised the maintenance window is between midnight and 6 am local time."
RezzIA

RezzIA to Pringlescan

to Pringlescan
Well, they're doing maintenance again tonight. Lovely. Just when I got home and went to do some online gaming. Can't even stay connected to any game server.

When I was with TWC, they NEVER pulled this crap. Sure they had outages and problems. No ISP is perfect. But they sure as heck didn't shutdown for "maintenance" for 6 hours 2-3 nights a week.

At this point, I'm just counting the days until I can move out of Mediacom's service area. It's really getting irritating never being able to use my internet at night. Thankfully I'm only in Iowa temporarily while I fulfill a family obligation.

I am beyond frustrated and I will make sure I never live in a Mediacom service area EVER again.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Updating this thread again. It's Monday night. Getting insane packet loss and disconnects as usual.

I am so disappointed and upset right now that has been going on for months with no end in sight.

I mean, what do I have to do be able to use my internet at night? Switch to satellite?

I know satellite is awful but it seriously can't be as bad as mediacom has been lately.

Chad, what do I do from here?
RezzIA

RezzIA

Okay they're doing maintenance again tonight, Chad.

This is becoming an every night issue now. I can't even use my internet at night anymore. Ever.

I'm trying to be so patient but I am at the end of my rope here. I need more reliable service than this.
skidooy
join:2009-12-15
Iowa City, IA

skidooy to RezzIA

to RezzIA
I was unable to get past my default gateway this morning in Iowa City.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello RezzIA,

I would be happy to further assist you and look into this. If you want just send me a private message with your account information and I can check into the maintenance.