spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam to RezzIA

to RezzIA

Re: [IA] What's with all the 12am-6am maintenance lately, mediacom?

said by RezzIA:

Tech support just confirmed maintenance again here. So, since 4/25, I've been unable to use my internet 3 nights in the last 5 days, and about 12+ nights in the last few weeks.

Un-freaking-believable.

I cannot wait to move out of Mediacom's service area. I don't understand why so much maintenance is needed. I've never had an ISP go down for so many hours consistently or do so much maintenance.

I'm about to cancel and try centurylink. I don't care about speed, I just need uptime.

I too, have had outages and maintenance over the last couple of weeks but, it was worth it in my opinion. We've had a lot of nasty weather over the last few months, things are going to fail eventually.

I hope they get yours figured out. Took a while to get all the bugs in our area corrected, but I must say, I'm very happy with the results.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to RezzIA

to RezzIA
But all you need to do is go to the mediacom outage page and it will tell you of planned outages. Oh wait... lol.. that's right. It doesn't work.

I know they're attempting to increase our bonded channels from 5 (currently) to 8, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
Riverpilot

Riverpilot to bulletsam

to bulletsam
They've been trying to get the bugs out for years in the Quad Cities. For me personally, I've been on 105 since they announced it, and have yet to see any consistent speeds above 60. On occasion I'll see 90, but that is rare.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Riverpilot

Premium Member

to Riverpilot
When you log into your account at »support.mediacomcable.com/ you should be able to check for outages. That page should be working just fine. When you log in are you not able to see the outages?
Riverpilot

Riverpilot

said by MediacomChad:

When you log into your account at »support.mediacomcable.com/ you should be able to check for outages. That page should be working just fine. When you log in are you not able to see the outages?

No. Planned outages are never shown.

As for outages that are currently happening, I don't need a page to show me that my internet is out.
RezzIA
join:2014-03-28

RezzIA to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Chad, that page never works even when logged in, as Riverpilot has pointed out also.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Internet down again. 5/1

4 out of 5 nights.

Get your act together, mediacom.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand another night internet is down. 4 out of 5 nights now the internet is down, and countless nights in the last couple of months .

For the last 2 months this has been the never ending game of having to guess whether or not I'll be able to use my internet at night. This is absolute BS for a service I pay good money for. Absolutely unacceptable.

I am so beyond frustrated with mediacom right now I could scream. I've absolutely had it with this company and the endless maintenance. This started on march 12th and has not eased up since.

I cannot believe this company is allowed to offer such horrid service while they bleed us dry.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I'd be interested to check on your connection history, match it with out overnight maintenance and bring it to someone's attention if you want to send me your telephone# or MAC address. Without that information, I really can't do much to help unfortunately. While we are doing maintenance in the area I am not showing it as prevalent as you post and I'd love to try and help.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Chad, I called tech support last night and the gentleman on the phone I spoke to confirmed the maintenance as usual. So it's not in my head.

They are doing maintenance almost every night now and it's been going on since March 12th (thats when these problems started). If this continues I will be switching to Centurylink because I need to be able to use my internet late nights.
Riverpilot

Riverpilot

I wish they'd do maintenance on my side of town, I'm running a blistering 8d/l right now. Sad... u/l is better than my d/l...

lol. :sigh:
RezzIA

3 edits

RezzIA

Well, Riverpilot, my internet keeps fading in and out right now too (as of 10:45pm our local time). Getting 12k MS trying to play an online game.

Something is messed up.

Sigh. Yet another night I can barely do anything online. Going to guess the net is going to go down completely at 12am as per usual. I don't even know why I am putting up with this anymore.

EDIT: Keep disconnecting constantly and getting major latency. I really hope we get another alternative soon for an isp.

EDIT 2: »i.imgur.com/HY1HbDu.png -- took like 3 minutes just to upload that picture and make this edit.

EDIT 3: 12:30am now. Still can barely keep a connection to anything going on 2 hours later. Love how my internet works fine during the day when I can rarely use it, then turns to complete garbage at night when I need it. This marks the 5th night in a row that I have been unable to do anything online. Going to keep updating this thread until something is done to fix these area problems in 52722.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

If you would like help getting these issues addressed, please send me your account information via IM. I would like to assist you, but am only able to if you allow me to.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Chad, it's an area issue unrelated to my equipment. The tech I spoke to told me they were sending out a truck to check it out but this was weeks ago and things haven't improved.

You had also mentioned they were doing nightly work in this area but you had no ETA for when it would be done. This started on march 12th and it's almost 2 months of these nightly outages. With summer coming up, kids out of school, and people staying up later, paying customers are not going to appreciate these nightly outages. You guys need to get on this and get this fixed.

I have had no issues all day with my internet. Latency is good, speed is fine, and no disconnections. But I know once the clock hits 11 or 12 tonight, it will turn to sludge as per usual.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I understand, but the maintenance logs don't match up with what you are seeing. That is why I wanted to dig in for you.
RezzIA

1 edit

RezzIA

Internet fine all day. Now it's 10:30pm and my game and skype crashed again. I called tech support and got an automated message saying they are over capacity to take more calls, and to call back later.

6 nights in a row now that it crashes like clockwork and tech support is unavailable. There is something going on here in the area that needs to be checked out. My family about a mile away is reporting the same downtime.

EDIT: Let's figure this out once and for all, Chad. I didn't think my account info would help much when it's ongoing in the entire area but maybe you can check the modem and see what the heck is going on here.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello RezzIA,

Thank you for your IMing me. Just so you know, I replied and once I receive the requested information I can begin further investigating this problem from here.
RezzIA

2 edits

RezzIA

Just hit 12am, and ON THE DOT, my internet slows to a crawl. I don't think this is a maintenance thing anymore to be honest. I think there is something else going on here.

Internet is completely fine all day, then BOOM, it's like somebody flips a switch. Every night like clockwork. I highly doubt it's my equipment or even the lines since it works flawlessly during the day. Somebody has to be running a server farm or destroying the bandwidth some other way. This needs to stop.

Chad, I am trying to PM you right now.

EDIT: Info sent Chad. If you could look into this immediately (as it's happening right now), that would be amazing. If you check the signals during the day, it will probably be fine so it has to be checked while it's happening. I think that's the only way, correct?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thank You for the updated information. I see a slight intermittent signal issue, but what I am going to do is run a 72 hour diagnostic on your modem so that I can see everything that is happening on your modem during this time frame. Once this is completed, I will followup with you here or via IM
RezzIA

RezzIA

Thank you so much Chad!

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You are very welcome!
RezzIA

RezzIA

I am literally sighing out loud here. Last 2 nights I haven't even had so much as a lag spike. Of course.

Internet crashes like clockwork at 12am for the last few weeks EXCEPT on the nights my modem is being monitored.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry here haha.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

I think it's our turn now. Ours was for three hours. Plus, no surprise that the support page shows NO OUTAGE.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

RyanThaDude See Profile, I checked our maintenance logs and I don't see anything in for that time frame. How long was your service out? I am not seeing anything widespread during that time either.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

It started just after 1 AM, came back very slow, went out again at 1:30 AM, out completely until 4 AM, but wasn't completely usable until after 4:30 AM.

Modem never disconnected and would trace one hop outside my router to the IP 173.18.12.1, but nothing beyond that.
RezzIA

1 edit

RezzIA to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Been having massive issues for the last hour and a half (4:30pm to 6pm CST) and is still persisting.

High latency, can't stay connected to anything, constant disconnects, etc.

Hopefully something shows up on the 72 hour diagnosis for this time frame.

EDIT: Still persisting as of 7:10pm CST. Almost 3 hours now.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to RezzIA

Premium Member

to RezzIA
Hello RezzIA,

I've reviewed the diagnostic and I do show what's causing this problem. Multiple times within the last couple of days you're maxing your downstream bandwidth. While this is maxed you will experience higher ping times and much slower speeds. I show you're currently subscribed to our Launch plan. This is our most basic plan for internet service in your area and isn't recommended for multiple devices/online gaming. In order to get this resolved you would need to locate the program that's maxing the downstream bandwidth and either limit or disable this program. Is this program cannot be limited you may want to consider upgrading. We currently offer the following services for your area. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

LAUNCH HSD – Up to 3 Mbps down/512 Kbps up - 150 GB usage allowance
PRIME HSD - Up to 15 Mbps down/1 Mbps up - 250 GB usage allowance
PRIME PLUS HSD - Up to 30 Mbps down/2 Mbps Up - 350 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA - Up to 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps Up - 1 TB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA PLUS - Up to 105 Mbps down/10 Mbps up - 2 TB usage allowance

Early June we’re upgrading the following Internet tiers at no cost to our customers. This upgrade will happen automatically and no action will be needed.

PRIME PLUS HSD - Up to 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps Up - 350 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA - Up to 100 Mbps down/10 Mbps Up - 1 TB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA PLUS - Up to 150 Mbps down/20 Mbps up - 2 TB usage allowance
RezzIA

1 edit

RezzIA

Thanks for the info, Chad.

Hmmm. Our usage habits have not changed in the 12-15 months, yet these problems only started 2 months ago. I don't understand how I'm maxing the downstream all of the sudden, when for the last year+ things were fine.

We barely hit 10-25 gigs in usage a month, if even that. According to my BitMeterOS monitoring program, we haven't even hit 100 gigs in the last several months. This is well under the allotted 150 gigs per month.

I don't see how we are maxing bandwidth.

EDIT: Sent you a private message.
CR_Client
join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

CR_Client

said by RezzIA:

I don't see how we are maxing bandwidth.

You're maxing your downstream pipe/availability, not your monthly cap.

Do you have WiFi? Is it completely locked down so that nobody outside is able to utilize it? Any new neighbors move into the area within the last couple of months?

A 3Mb/s connection isn't all that much, honestly. The WGNRadio stream of the Blackhawks hockey game takes up about 7-8kb/s, which is about .2% of the total bandwidth available on a 3Mb/s pipe. Launching a 1080p YouTube video jumps me up to over 900kb/s down, which is a full 28% of a 3 Mb/s pipe.

Add a video game update download or stream on top of that, and I'm sure my WGN Radio Stream would even start to stutter.

It doesn't take too many downloads to choke out a 3Mb/s connection.

If this starts like clockwork every night, and you only have a 3Mb/s connection, I would first make sure you aren't spawning any peer-to-peer downloads at night, then make sure that nobody is on your router that doesn't belong.
RezzIA

RezzIA

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. I asked Chad privately for the logs so I can see what's going on and when the usage is occurring.

It's just odd to me our habits have not changed in the last 15 months, yet these problems just started 2 months ago. This has not been an ongoing thing and we have changed nothing in our usage.

Also, the diagnostics said in the last few days we've maxed the downstream HOWEVER for 2 of those days I had no issues whatsoever (as per my updates in this thread). Something just doesn't add up to me, and why is it only happening mainly at night? I can go 12 hours in a day without even a lag spike, then night time hits and it's all acting up.

Definitely no peer to peer. I don't use those type of programs. I checked for backdoor trojans, mailers, etc. I don't see anything suspicious. I highly doubt any neighbors are even in range of my wifi (it's a suburb in a semi-rural area).

Just totally scratching my head at this one. Our TV signal has been acting up at night as well, not sure if related. Hopefully Chad can get me sorted here.