spc
Search similar:

uniqs

madmike
join:2012-03-19
Waterfall, PA

madmike

Good budget laptop?

Anyone have any suggestions on a fairly cheap laptop for World of Warcraft?
Would like to be able to use if for raiding if need be.
Would like to stick around $700 or less
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

»www.walmart.com/ip/HP-An ··· 34083877

It's no screamer but it's better than the intel integrated. A10 5750M system. $600
I'll look later to see if I can find something better.

madmike
join:2012-03-19
Waterfall, PA

madmike

Thanks for your time, Will that laptop run it ok?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to madmike

Premium Member

to madmike
IF you are willing to turn down the eye candy and, possibly, the resolution then I think it should play the latest world of warcraft acceptably. If your expectations are high then you will probably be disappointed.

I can not say that it will handle raiding well.

I would check into the cpu/graphics more on world of warcraft forums. I was just directing you to one of the better options I was able to find in that price range.

Does it have to be a laptop? You can get much more performance for the money in a desktop.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to madmike

Premium Member

to madmike
I haven't tried WoW on an AMD laptop recently, so I can't say for sure myself how it'll run. WoW is normally a CPU-heavy game, and in my experience, raiding makes it substantially worse.

I looked around on Newegg for laptops in your price range with discrete graphics and found these two: Acer Aspire V5-561PG-6686 and ASUS X550LB-NH52. The CPU in those will turbo up between 2.3-2.6 GHz depending on load (I messed with one today ) and should perform well. Of the two, I'd lean towards the Acer as the graphics card in the Asus is a bit of a crapshoot - there's two versions of the GT 740M and one performs substantially worse. I can't find any info on which one it actually uses.

There's a potentially big downside to either of those two laptops though: screen resolution. The one asdfdfdfdfdf See Profile posted has a higher native resolution (1600x900) than the two I linked (1366x768). While this will hinder graphics quality in-game and productivity outside of gaming, it will run a bit faster.

I did some raiding benchmarking on my HTPC recently. It has a similar type of CPU/graphics combo as the laptop asdfdfdfdfdf See Profile posted. If you want me to, I can try underclocking it and testing it at your desired resolution and settings.