spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mewing80
join:2008-11-14
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

DVR takes too long to change channels when first turned on

I have been having issues with the 7216 DVR. I had to turn the brightness down becasue it was overreving and also I can't change any channels when first turned on. Was wondering if anyone else has these problems and is it time to get a 7232 DVR
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

I have a 7232 and a 7216 and I don't really notice any difference in performance. I never turn my boxes off, so if there is an issue at startup I wouldn't notice it anyway. You might want to consider leaving it "on" all the time (they're never really off anyway).
said by mewing80:

I had to turn the brightness down becasue it was overreving

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this.
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

I should had been more specific the box is always turned on and can change channels it freezes up when I turn the TV on
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by mewing80:

I should had been more specific the box is always turned on and can change channels it freezes up when I turn the TV on

What you're experiencing is IR interference from the TV that subsides when it warms up some. What type and model of TV do you have? Also, please explain what you mean by "overreving."
mewing80
Sewell, NJ

mewing80

I have a sony bravia TV I did read some where that if you change the ambient setting on the TV it would help the IR interference. I tried that and didn't work. As for the overreving it's coming from the hard drive sounds like a car overreving it's engine.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Suggest you search the web for "IR Remote Control Interference." That's what's happening. You could try repositioning the STB away from the TV.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to mewing80

Premium Member

to mewing80
said by mewing80:

As for the overreving it's coming from the hard drive sounds like a car overreving it's engine.

This most likely is the cooling fan you are hearing. It is a not-uncommon issue with quite a few threads on the VZ community forums. Some have found that reducing the LED brightness setting helps but this is not been found to be completely consistent.

Edit: Note the LED brightness I note is for the STB and would not have anything to do with your IR interference. The TV settings, in contrast, would in turn not have any impact on the DVR fan noise. These are two different issues.

JH28
@bankofamerica.com

JH28

Anon

That's the DVR fan running. Make sure you don't have anything sitting on top of the DVR etc so it's getting enough air. Even if you do some of them the fan still runs like that.