Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
kudos:2

[Roofing] Roof Replacement Question

A while back, I started a thread on the hassles I was having with our windstorm insurance and getting our roof replaced after a hail storm. Because they insist on not replacing the whole roof, I'm taking bids for replacing the north and west facing slopes of my roof. One of the roofing contractors who came out and looked at the roof indicated that doing a partial roof replacement would not be a problem with one exception. The exception is where a north facing slope intersects with an east facing slope. Below is an example of the intersection (not my actual roof):

He said because of the valley, he would need to remove the east facing roof in order to do the job properly. If this is indeed the best practice and the only option to perform the partial roof replacement, I would have thought that the insurance company would have realized the valley would be an issue and allowed for replacing the south facing roof, but they did not allow for this, which is no surprise. I had another roofer give me a bid and he didn't mention anything about the valley being a problem.

If what the first roofer says is true, that means I'm going to be fighting with the windstorm people again, but I want to be sure what he's telling me is true before I confront them about this issue. What do you think?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

It probably matters how the valley was done on your roof.

One way is to have a metal valley below the shingles. The shingles from each side of the roof would not cross the center of the valley and often leaving a gap where the metal would be visible. With that type of valley it should be easily possible to replace either side of the roof without disturbing the shingles on the other side provided that the metal valley is still in good condition.

The other type of valley weaves the shingles from both sides of the roof to create a seamless appearance. Ideally there should still be a metal valley below the shingles (there is none on my roof) but it would not be visible.

The roofers I spoke with to fix my leaking valley preferred the first type of valley. Part of it is probably since it is easier to install but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that weaving shingles from two directions is next to impossible with the more expensive architectural shingles that they were trying to talk me into (I have the basic 25 year shingles on my roof now).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to Tex

If yours is a closed cut valley (like pictured), and you are replacing the cut side, then it shouldn't be a big deal at all. If you are replacing the long side of the cc valley, then your roofer is 100% right. You may as well replace both, because you will have to take up a lot on the long side and the new won't match the old.
A roofing adjuster should be able to see this. If he missed it, then what else did he miss?

If it's a woven valley, then it just takes a little finesse (labor or skill which = time) to weave them back together. There's a good chance you'll have color issues there too.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

If it's a woven valley then you can forget about getting it apart to repair.

OP -- we really need more information. How large are the roof planes we are discussing? How long is the valley? How old is your current roof? Pic would be helpful.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:1
reply to Tex

The answer may relate to where you live. Here in Columbus permits are mandatory, licensed roofers are mandatory, you must meet code. Three-tab shingles don't.

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

If it's a woven valley then you can forget about getting it apart to repair.

OP -- we really need more information. How large are the roof planes we are discussing? How long is the valley? How old is your current roof? Pic would be helpful.

My valley is closed cut and it is installed exactly like the picture I first posted. As far as how large, here is a photo of my roof.

It looks like I need to talk to the roofer who didn't mention this issue and find out why. Then, I'll have to haggle (again) with the windstorm people because having to remove and replace that east facing exposure will mean well over half of the roof will need replacing. If that doesn't justify replacing the whole roof, I don't know what would.

Thanks for all your feedback.