spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Texbluboy
join:2012-12-03
Chicago, IL

Texbluboy

[Equipment] BYOM SB6141 Firmware Update - RCN Chicago

I'm still confused as to if I am am able to update the firmware for my Motorola SB6141 modem (my own modem, not rented through RCN) on my own or if RCN is able to push the update to my modem?

I've read some conflicting postings that say yes & no??

Is there anyone that knows the definite answer to this? Preferably I'd like a response from an RCN tech online here in this forum

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Modem firmware updates are sent from RCN's CMTS. You can not upgrade the firmware yourself. When you connect your modem to their network it will push whatever is the latest RCN approved firmware to your modem. Even if you previously had it connected to a different ISP it would overwrite the previous firmware and push whatever is current for RCN. Someone on another ISP might have firmware that is newer than yours but that is because it has been tested and approved by that ISP for use on their network.

Sometimes in rare cases modem firmware updates get blocked or there is a misconfiguration at the CMTS that prevents modems from getting updated properly.

I hope this has helped answer your questions
B4Knight

B4Knight to Texbluboy

Premium Member

to Texbluboy
In the rare case that your modem doesn't have the latest approved fimware update, you should be able to call in and ask if you have the latest approved version
heehaw
join:2012-07-05
Chicago, IL

heehaw to Texbluboy

to Texbluboy
Has anyone ever gotten an issue where the approved update gets over written with an old update that works then the approved update again everyday at the same time disabling your internet for half an hour ever since service changes to the new modem?
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4

lart

said by heehaw:

Has anyone ever gotten an issue where the approved update gets over written with an old update that works then the approved update again everyday at the same time disabling your internet for half an hour ever since service changes to the new modem?

No but I do have
SW upgrade Failed before download - TFTP Max Retry Exceeded
SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present

every time I reboot my modem.

d88add546cf55355eefb59c38fffaeea0a379baf

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Firmware Build Time: Mar 12 2013 17:48:19

heehaw
join:2012-07-05
Chicago, IL

heehaw

how do you get that kind of output?!
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4

lart

I got the logs from »192.168.100.1/cmLogs.htm and the rest from »192.168.100.1/cmHelp.htm

if you are talking about how I formatted the text i used the code tag [code]