spc
Search similar:

uniqs
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

HTC One battery issue

I have had my HTC One phone since September and it is the best smartphone I have ever had other than the Android Kitkat update the other day that "broke" a couple of apps.

My current issue is with the battery. Battery life is good. If I turn off all the alerts on the phone and use it ocassionally, I can have up to 70% remaining battery life at 5pm.

The problem however seems to begin when the battery life is at 20%. Once it reaches that level, the phone goes in a tizzy and shuts off almost immediately.

Yesterday, as soon as it reached 20%, the phone just shust off. When I plugged back in, it said it had a zero charge and took awhile to be operational again.

I call Verizon and they told me to walk around with a battery pack. WTF. I believe the battery might be bad and thus, will need to get a new replacement phone.

I initially called Amazon Wireless and they told me warranties after 30 days are handled by Verizon. Verizon does not seem interested in "replacing it".

I may need to contact HTC directly to see what they can do.

Any suggestion or is thus just normal wear and tear with cellphone batteries.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

if you don't have insurance through Asurion or square trade or whatever your only way is with HTC.

You will be left without a phone if you don't have a backup one for a week maybe two.

Good luck.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

I contacted HTC directly and they have been alot more helpful than Verizon.

The agent had me put the phone in the "safe mode". Using your phone in safe mode stops any 3rd party drivers from loading.

Using the phone in safe mode has already yielded immediate results. The phone does not automatically shut off at 20% as it has been doing for many weeks now. Phone is currently down to 5% and is still working great.

The agent suggests that an app could be causing the problem which makes alot of sense. I have tonnes of apps on my phone.

There is an app in the Google Play Store called "Wakelock Detector-Save Battery". Based on the reviews, it seems to detect "rogue battery draining apps" and it seems very highly recommended by most users. I will download it shortly and run it for a couple of days to find my "rogue battery draining app"

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

Skipdawg to navyson

to navyson
If you can hold off till the 4.4.3 update. It is suppose to also fix a known battery issue from 4.4.2 if you can't wait see if they can't help you. But from what I've seen in a few places a few folks are having battery issues due to a 4.4.2 bug.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

You are correct. It seems like the upgrade to Android 4.4.2 is causing alot of battery problems.

==============================================================

Android KitKat 4.4.2 update is unnecessarily draining battery life
»www.3g.co.uk/PR/March201 ··· med.html

Google have confirmed that there is a bug affecting Android KitKat (4.4.2) that results in battery life being significantly reduced.

The issue relates to the Camera application, which when opened is using 100 per cent of the CPU's power. The end result is unnecessary battery drain and a significant reduction in battery life.

So far Google have only confirmed that the issue affects the Nexus 5, but earlier this week the HTC One Android KitKit update was halted after users reported poor battery life. And a number of other smartphones have seen their battery life hit since updating to the latest version of KitKat.

The good news is that Google are working on a fix, which could be included in the Android 4.4.3 update. However, we wouldn't be surprised if the update was pushed out as a priority ahead of the release of the next version of KitKat.

Until the update is released you might want to avoid leaving the camera application running to improve battery life. You should also be aware that certain third-party applications (such as Skype) open the camera app automatically.

As soon as we get news on the release of the fix for Android KitKat 4.4.2 you'll be the first to know.