uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2

[TV] These tiny digital to TV boxes

Has anyone bother connected one of these tiny Rogers (Cisco) digital to TV boxes to their TV?

I did the other morning after I noticed all my analog stations were frozen. After connecting the box and turning it on I noticed that Rogers has had Cisco setup the box so that the sound coming off the cable is mono 1 channel. I figured this out after flipping to YTV and hitting the language button on the remote, it changed from ENG to ENM or EMN and the sound switched from mono to stereo. The next thing I noticed is they block out everything after channel 26 or 27 in Scarborough. Analogy gets me up to channel 42, and lastly this box won't allow me to view my condo's security cameras which are on channel 59.

So I thinking I will likely drop Rogers all together once they turn off Analogy completely and go with someone else.

Breadwinka

join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

You're probably on subscribed to basic, so you would only get up to channel 26-27 when, so with analogue your getting those extra channels for free essentially since the tech hasn't put filters on your line to block those channels, where the box displays your proper channels, unless you are on the digital plus package or cable plus.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

Here in London you get channels 2 to 60 and 4 or 5 channels on the higher bands up to channel 130 with the DTA50 box if you subscribe to analog cable.

Channel availability depends on what package you have. Basic 2-28,Cable Plus Combo 29-43 or the 3rd package (can't remember the name) but it gets you channels 44-59. This is for grandfathered ANALOG cable packages only.

The Cisco DTA50 allows receiving the channels in these analog packages that Rogers has already converted to digital. Even with no trap/filter on the side of the house you will not receive channels you have not subscribed to using a DTA50.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

1 edit
reply to Leathal

said by Leathal:

Has anyone bother connected one of these tiny Rogers (Cisco) digital to TV boxes to their TV?

I did the other morning after I noticed all my analog stations were frozen. After connecting the box and turning it on I noticed that Rogers has had Cisco setup the box so that the sound coming off the cable is mono 1 channel. I figured this out after flipping to YTV and hitting the language button on the remote, it changed from ENG to ENM or EMN and the sound switched from mono to stereo. The next thing I noticed is they block out everything after channel 26 or 27 in Scarborough. Analogy gets me up to channel 42, and lastly this box won't allow me to view my condo's security cameras which are on channel 59.

So I thinking I will likely drop Rogers all together once they turn off Analogy completely and go with someone else.

You should be happy you have been getting all those channels for free for so many years! Your security camera should be working on 59 and 988. If it's not you can have a technician come out to fix it.

With your attitude I hope they go to the tap and install a filter to only allow you to get the channels you subscribe to.
--
Hello

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

A lot of condos still broadcast their security channels in analogue only and are not compatible with the DTAs or STBs.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to aereolis

I haven't been getting these channels for free technically for years, my condo is 3 years old and I have been be playing for basic digital which I don't use because it sucks. So I just watch the analog stations because those stations are the ones I am only interested in 1 - 42, 44, 45, and 59, and 60.

Rogers used to charge back in the day an extra $10 a month for the analog stations if you bought high speed cable and didn't have cable TV, how I miss those days!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

A lot of the channels range you listed are not included in the basic tier. You were able to receive those channels, because Rogers has stopped using filters in anticipation for their all digital conversion. With the DTA, you're getting the channels you're actually paying for.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to aereolis

The apartment building needs a MiniAtx installed, Rogers will do this, but there are requirements to be met by the building. The MiniAtx will put the lobby cam on a predetermined digital channel. If the building doesn't want to play ball with Rogers, their system is disconnected from the feed when the switch gets flipped killing analog permanently. This would be the owner of the building deciding the lobby camera system isn't worth upgrading to meet the new digital requirements NOT Rogers just refusing to support it.

elitefx

London, ON

Does anyone know the channel range of the DTA50? Read that it has a limited channel range.

Thinking of switching from analog to Rogers Digital Plus package. Can I use a DTA50 to get all the SD channels in that package? How high of a channel number will the DTA50 go up to?

Want more channels but I don't want to switch if it means paying Rogers cable box rental fees. Don't care about HD just want something more to watch at minimal cost to me.

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON

I have Rogers Digital VIP Plus (or something like that) and a DTA50 on the kitchen TV, in addition to a couple of PVRs. The digital adapter gets me up to channel 60 or so, plus a few other French and government channels. (I think there are a couple of lobby channels, 998 or something, but it needs a digital system.) No matter what fancy package you subscribe to, the DTA will only get you those SD channels. However, the digital adapters are free for however many outlets you have authorized.

elitefx

London, ON

said by OLDYELLR:

I have Rogers Digital VIP Plus (or something like that) and a DTA50 on the kitchen TV....

Many Thanks. Now I see what's going on. I read the Rogers page that tells what channels are available with what piece of hardware but I didn't clue in till I read your post. Must be getting a little dense..........

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON
reply to Leathal

The free box is provided to replicate ONLY what you would've received (and paid for) on a full analog system, and NOT what you pay for digitally. As far as I know there's no technical reason why they couldn't give you all other channels, it's just that Rogers is replacing analog with digital and isn't financially motivated to do more than offer an exact channel-for-channel replacement. For everything else, you'd have to rent a higher-end cable box just like you would've on analog.

Also, the Cisco does output stereo RF audio. Weak in volume (even turned up to max), but stereo at least.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to aereolis

said by aereolis:

said by Leathal:

You should be happy you have been getting all those channels for free for so many years! Your security camera should be working on 59 and 988. If it's not you can have a technician come out to fix it.

With your attitude I hope they go to the tap and install a filter to only allow you to get the channels you subscribe to.

FYI, Rogers recently tried to block 59 but were forced by the condo corp to turn it back on. I am guessing the system the condo corp uses doesn't interface with Rogers.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to Sunfox

said by Sunfox:

The free box is provided to replicate ONLY what you would've received (and paid for) on a full analog system, and NOT what you pay for digitally. As far as I know there's no technical reason why they couldn't give you all other channels, it's just that Rogers is replacing analog with digital and isn't financially motivated to do more than offer an exact channel-for-channel replacement. For everything else, you'd have to rent a higher-end cable box just like you would've on analog.

Also, the Cisco does output stereo RF audio. Weak in volume (even turned up to max), but stereo at least.

It doesn't do stereo for me, I only hear the same one channel across left and right making it mono. It wasn't until I changed the language setting on YTV (which it only works for) that I get stereo left and right channels which suggests that Robers have been messing with the settings.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to Leathal

said by Leathal:

said by aereolis:

said by Leathal:

FYI, Rogers recently tried to block 59 but were forced by the condo corp to turn it back on. I am guessing the system the condo corp uses doesn't interface with Rogers.

Possible, but more likely what happened is due to the digital transition rogers has been filtering out 99% of analog tv channels in apartment buildings and they have been doing this for over a year now. They may have installed a bad filter, or the proper filter in your building that blocked the analog channel 59 and due to the contract (you pay for your cable tv via the condo corp) they are obligated to provide the lobby camera in some way. So they got a different filter OR installed a digital lobby camera in the building (due to the contract) for no charge. You can find out if you have the digital lobby camera if you see it on channel 59&988 with the digital transport adapter and on channel 59 with cable direct to your tv.
--
Hello

Leathal
Premium
canada

said by aereolis:

Possible, but more likely what happened is due to the digital transition rogers has been filtering out 99% of analog tv channels in apartment buildings and they have been doing this for over a year now. They may have installed a bad filter, or the proper filter in your building that blocked the analog channel 59 and due to the contract (you pay for your cable tv via the condo corp) they are obligated to provide the lobby camera in some way. So they got a different filter OR installed a digital lobby camera in the building (due to the contract) for no charge. You can find out if you have the digital lobby camera if you see it on channel 59&988 with the digital transport adapter and on channel 59 with cable direct to your tv.

Actually I pay Rogers for my cable not my condo corp.