reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo

Re: screen shots and reviews

vmware fusion has a similar 'unity' mode.

q.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

vmware fusion has a similar 'unity' mode.

q.

Oh cool.
Do you know if virtual box has anything like that?
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

There's a Parallels vs VMWare Fusion comparison here:

»www.parallels.com/landin ··· odJi4A6g

(click on the second tab for features comparison)

It's from Parallels' web site, so surely there's some bias. Also it's a comparison against Fusion 5, not 6.

Looks like you can try both for free anyway...

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by MichelR:

There's a Parallels vs VMWare Fusion comparison here:

»www.parallels.com/landin ··· odJi4A6g

(click on the second tab for features comparison)

It's from Parallels' web site, so surely there's some bias. Also it's a comparison against Fusion 5, not 6.

Looks like you can try both for free anyway...

Well I was just curious. I really haven't been using it enough to justify trying anything out. At first I used it for "Windows Only" software but then eventually found apps that could take their place or the mac versions of those same pieces of software.

Which now, this VM stuff made me think of a question. I'll just start new thread no need to hijack this one.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to onebadmofo

MVM

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Oh cool.
Do you know if virtual box has anything like that?

yes.
vbox calls it 'seamless' mode

»www.howtogeek.com/171145 ··· machine/

q.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

1 edit

Ugly to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

o need to hijack this one.

It's fine. really it is.

I am still somewhat confused. Where exactly do the (say for this case) Windows OS files reside in/on a mac that runs Windows via VM or Parallels please? Thanks!

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

capture.tiff
239,220 bytes
capture2.tiff
402,298 bytes
said by Ugly:

am still somewhat confused. Where exactly do the (say for this case) Windows OS files reside in/on a mac that runs Windows via VM or Parallels please?

see the attached screenshots.
they are in a location of your choosing and naming. i have mine in ~/vmware.
the "single files" are created by fusion. the folder was an import from a previous vm created in vmware workstation.

q.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

1 edit

Ugly

said by tubbynet:

they are in a location of your choosing and naming.

I think that I am getting this. ~ One starts a VM machine and then the 'installation' process makes these folders, the "~/vmware" folder.

In sum, the VM runs as software within a mac environment. Then the alternative OS is installed as from/within the VM and places its files onto/within the folder on the mac-drive. The emulator intermediates or translates to/from the virtual space and the mac folders.

While these are mac folders, there are no directly usable files there. All the data in folders is usable by the OS in VM only. It is as if the data is encrypted somehow.

Yes? Or no?

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Ugly:

In sum, the VM runs as software within a mac environment. Then the alternative OS is installed as from/within the VM and places its files onto/within the folder on the mac-drive. The emulator intermediates or translates to/from the virtual space and the mac folders.

exactly.
said by Ugly:

While these are mac folders, there are no directly usable files there. All the data in folders is usable by the OS in VM only. It is as if the data is encrypted somehow.

not quite. i can mount the virtual harddrive with software and view the contents. its not encrypted -- but its no different than a .docx or .pptx -- i just need the appropriate software to view the contents.

q.