spc
Search similar:

uniqs

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

1 edit

HenryA

Vmedia. - Problem resolved. *updated*

Not sure why, but starting last night (Mar 30) around 6 pm, Vmedia speeds went into the toilet. By 9 pm, I couldn't watch anything. It's back to buffering and stuttering. I thought this had been resolved last year. It's definitely something I don't want to revisit.
Speeds are good now (6:30 a.m. Sunday...off to work).

Can't be a coincidence, but I noticed that around 10 a.m. yesterday morning, I finally got a new IP.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

Re: Vmedia slowing again

Are you sure it's not something local? You haven't actually posted any details, such as whether you're using wired or wireless connection.

I used to have problems every Friday/Saturday evening, on wireless, but it was because I'm in an apartment building with ~40 wireless networks in range. I was able to mitigate it somewhat with wireless configuration (40MHz band, disabling channel hopping in the modem, and using inssider to help me pick the channels), but the only way I'm ever going to see my full speed on wireless at those times of night will be to switch to 5GHz wireless, which would require me to replace the wireless card in my laptop.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any speed issues last night, and I have 25meg cable with vmedia.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger to HenryA

to HenryA
Sorry for your troubles Henry, but best we know Rogers was having serious systemic issues last night, which we understand have been resolved. Are you still slow?
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

BoogaBooga to HenryA

to HenryA
Are you on Cable or DSL?
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to HenryA

Premium Member

to HenryA
Are you using cable in Rogers Territory. There was a major problem that affected all the TPIAs including Teksavvy, Start, Rogers and by extension probably vmedia last night. It didn't effect everyone the same. Some people had no connection, some had poor connections. Myself, I could websurf and watch videos but would randomly get time outs or pauses in the in videos. However if I ran a ping test or tried to play a game things were awful.

If things are fixed now (and you have cable in a rogers town) it was probably related that out.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

That might explain why I couldn't start Netflix around 8:30pm last night (I had been watching it a few minutes earlier).

HenryA
join:2011-05-28

HenryA to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
Re: Vmedia slowing again

Hi George (et al).

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Everything's back to normal, speeds are good. I read about the problems Rogers was having (thanks Trentelshark over at the vmedia forum for pointing me back to a thread here at dslreports). Probably what killed the speed in the Barrie area. Glad to see it wasn't a problem with Ciktel.

Thanks again.

H.

....as a side note. Notice that George responds even on a Sunday. How many other ISP rep's would even bother on a weekend. None that I'm aware of. Always a pleasure doing business with vmedia. Great company.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

every single one, mentioned on this forum (start, teksavvy, acanac, etc)

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by damir:

every single one, mentioned on this forum (start, teksavvy, acanac, etc)

Yeah TSI Marc was responding to message last night mid-outage.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

same as rocca for start, he never went to sleep before he made sure everythig is back to normal, and everybody is running okay (at least people that were up at the time).

I don't remember seeing VMEDIA commeting about outage that late?! (maybe i am wrong?!)