Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

[Tech] Which card out of these two?

Between these two cards, which would you pick:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14127787

MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

or

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14202079

SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100361-2SR Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

I am tempted to start ordering a new PC from Digital Storm but the only cards it appears they put in their machines now are Nvidia cards, besides the only part that really needs upgrading is the video card. Was looking at doing a machine with dual Titans or triple Titans.

As I understand it, I should be able to play B4 with everything maxed (like i used to be able to play Battlefield 3 with everything maxed on the card I have now) on either of these cards.

I don't have room in my case to do DUAL cards because of the overly large fan I had them put on the processor, which at the time I thought would be useful but now I realize it is just overkill.

Anyway, out of the two, which one would you choose, and I'm open to suggestions as well.

As always, I appreciate your help, time, and advice.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

MSI Lightning hands down.

That's supposed to be the fastest card out of any of the manufactures out there.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I disagree. I've heard nothing but bad things about MSI (slow/unresponsive customer service and a semi-official stance that crypto-currency miners are criminals and thus will not service any miner's request).

Sapphire is my go-to company for AMD cards. I've had to RMA a 4870 and they were very quick. Not as nice as Asus' cross-ship, but still pleasant to deal with. That and they make good cards and almost always have Hynix memory (vs. Elpida) so they make better hashers as well. I have two reference Sapphire 290X's in my rig I plan to watercool. If I was going air-cooling, I would have purchased the Tri-X's.

I was able to max out BF4 @ 1440p with a single reference Sapphire 290X.

That Tri-X is a beastly cooler.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to atuarre

Premium Member

to atuarre
I have both:

One MSI 7970 and 3 Sapphire 7950s, and I'm happy with both manufacturers' product quality.

However, the MSI 7970, which was a good chunk more expensive at the time, than my 7950s, is not a good mining card, at least compared to the Sapphire cards, I can barely get 550 KH/s out of it, versus the Sapphire 7950s which regularly hit over 600KH/s, it is however an excellent gaming card, which is what I bought it for in the first place.

EQ