uniqs
IowaMudRider
join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA

IowaMudRider to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA

Re: FYI: all Millenicom customers bills are to increase

said by Jim_in_VA:

our plan is to have usage updated in our Members Center as close to real-time as possible with email warnings going out to everyone every 5GB unless they opt-out of that warning system, Service should automatically suspend at 20GB unless we receive approval from the client to continue their service with an additional purchase of 20GB.

I personally like this idea since it means i dont have to lose sleep over data usage now i get an email telling me when i need to cutback instead of having to constantly watch it like a hawk....not too concerned with the price increase for now as long as it means we can get the same great service.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
Looks like Verizon just raised what Millenicom charges to match their own charges for the Home Fusion.
uptospeed
join:2012-10-28
North Collins, NY

uptospeed to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Well I'll be looking for new options.
My rule...
Anything over $50.00 and a 10% increase it's better to look elsewhere.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
If the 3G price hike's true, then there's no point in me even having the plan now since I had it as my backup for whenever I was 70% used up on the Hotspot plan. It kills any incentive for me to have it if it's at the same hiked up monthly price as the Hotspot.

As for Home Fusion, don't count me in on that since I've been hearing Verizon's means of tracking data usage for it is ludicrously off.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by ggultra2764:

As for Home Fusion, don't count me in on that since I've been hearing Verizon's means of tracking data usage for it is ludicrously off.

We have the Verizon 3G Advanced and the 4G Hotspot. Never had any issue with the data usage reported by Verizon.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

I beg to differ.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You beg to differ what? You've only heard of it but have no direct knowledge your self.
I've seen the same whining and complaining about Sprint, Millenicom, Verizon wireless from people who would "NEVER" use that much according to them. Never had Home Fusion but I would expect similar.

I do know that with two different devices and services the usage reported is reasonably correct.
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

bacchus101 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
You don't go to a wholesaler and pay retail - which means Millenicom's business model is in shambles. No point in paying full price for a second tier solution when you can just go to the source.

I'd say it was good while it lasted, but let's be honest...$70 for 20GB of data was highway robbery and $90 for 20GB is the very definition of monopolistic gouging. I currently have exactly ZERO other low latency options, so I'm going to pay whatever the ransom is Verizon wants me to pay and pretend to like it.

That said, Verizon's gravy train is eventually going to spoil and that day is coming quicker than they can even fathom.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

The problem with going directly with Verizon is the Taxes and Fees and most of all the 2 year contract. None of which Millenicom has.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

You beg to differ what? You've only heard of it but have no direct knowledge your self.
I've seen the same whining and complaining about Sprint, Millenicom, Verizon wireless from people who would "NEVER" use that much according to them. Never had Home Fusion but I would expect similar.

My blame's more on Verizon than Millenicom for this one since the latter doesn't have a choice in the matter if they want to stay in business. We're now living in an era where video streaming and updates for computer programs and a computer OS hog up enough data as is and having LTE with such low caps only further hogs through that data even quicker, especially if you have a small family to share it with. I'm getting pushed enough having to nuke $130 on two different devices for data per month just to get Internet access and now this comes up. Does Verizon have some ridiculous preconceived notion that all their wireless users only use Internet for e-mail and browsing? Why bother offering a service if you can't get any reasonable worth out of it in terms of data and price?

And for any ignorant person that says move to a more densely populated area if I want something better for Internet, I'd prefer to move somewhere else for more than just getting better Internet service.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to bacchus101

to bacchus101
said by bacchus101:

That said, Verizon's gravy train is eventually going to spoil and that day is coming quicker than they can even fathom.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen, with wireless carriers paying off lawmakers to turn their backs on consumers through generous campaign contributions.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

It's going to get to a point people like me and a'lot of other's are going to drop wireless all together then these co's are not going to have the money to pay lawmaker's off.
done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

done99999999 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

The problem with going directly with Verizon is the Taxes and Fees and most of all the 2 year contract. None of which Millenicom has.

I can't find a lot of talk of how much Homefusion charges for taxes. What I do see, it is much, much lower than taxes on a voice line. I see one that says there is $0.08 on the $60 plan. I've seen other forums mention a dollar or two. Also gets more confusing when you can bundle it in if you already have other not prepaid service with them. The contract would stink.
===========
more off topic, but the situation I'm in due to this news
Found out yesterday the phone company is discussing a 5 year plan to get 4/1 to much of the area, I would be on the end of that, but the area is in the plan. Now if I could get it today, $50 for 1 meg, plus about $35 total for the mandatory local call only landline. They do not offer a lower cost or 911 line only, or anything less than that to get a line, you have to pay that much for a base line, and you have to have a base line to get DSL, no dry options or whatever, that's what they said. 4 meg is $75 plus landline. At the price, I would still debate which to get, but unlimited is attractive with land based service. They mentioned they would like to keep me as a customer in the meantime of course, debating dropping the landline for some time. They don't have any calling plan bundles or anything, and I've been getting along with a Straight talk home phone device.

Regional GSM carrier is supposed to have "4g" on by next month. If their past service was better I would be more hopeful. But 3 meg unlimited at $50, I'd put up with some issues, it's probably where I'm going, can bring in own device so no contract. Now to figure out what I need to look for, thinks it's HSPA+, but not sure on frequency yet, think tmobile stuff works at full speed.
bacchus101
join:2007-02-09
USA

2 edits

bacchus101

said by done99999999:

Found out yesterday the phone company is discussing a 5 year plan to get 4/1 to much of the area

I'm in a similar situation. Fairpoint, when purchasing Verizon's phone service, said they would build out 4/1 DSL to 95% of all customers in the affected areas. They have been dragging their feet for years, but last fall announced they were going forward with a 3 year expansion plan in my state.

We also recently saw a public/private partnership build out an 1100 mile fiber network to compete against the existing telco infrastructure, which Verizon/Fairpoint/TWC of course said was completely unnecessary. Small ISPs are being given grant money to deploy last mile runs off of this new open network.

That said, wireless is still the only game in town at my residence as of today and I've decided to pull the trigger on a 2G T-Mobile backup plan for $20 a month (unlimited/no contract). I snagged a T-Mobile Jet 2.0 off ebay for $10.Yes, it's slow - but it is cheap and the EDGE network around here is robust enough I just might be able to live with it until a better option arrives (i.e. T-Mobile LTE/or DSL).

I want to thank Millenicom and Verizon for offering the impetus to make me start looking for alternatives.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
Not exactly. HF without voice doesn't have the same taxes. As far as contract, millenicom still charges a setup fee and a device fee. You still have the option of purchasing the device outright from verizon and avoiding the contract and Verizon's been doing a lot of "no activation charges" right now.

Sorry but the differences with Millenicom's pricing compared to Verizon now is extremely slim. This WILL hurt millenicom. As others have said, if the monthly fee is now the same, why not go directly to the source? I happen to agree with that.
Lyserjic
join:2002-07-02
Houston, TX

Lyserjic to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Well, that just SUCKS. However, I claim what I spend on Millenicom as an un-reimbursed business expense for work. The connection is primarily used for connecting to a corporate VPN.

Fortunately I have a local WISP that I use for a backup and "non-work" internet. Mcom Vz LTE + local WISP in a dual WAN setup on my Pepwave Max. Speeds from my local WISP are nothing spectacular (2MB) but they are consistent, low pings, stable and per the WISP owner "No caps, use all you like"

I was wondering how long it would be before Verizon killed the better deal we were getting with Millenicom.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to kevnich24

Premium Member

to kevnich24
said by kevnich24:

Not exactly. HF without voice doesn't have the same taxes. As far as contract, millenicom still charges a setup fee and a device fee. You still have the option of purchasing the device outright from verizon and avoiding the contract and Verizon's been doing a lot of "no activation charges" right now.

Sorry but the differences with Millenicom's pricing compared to Verizon now is extremely slim. This WILL hurt millenicom. As others have said, if the monthly fee is now the same, why not go directly to the source? I happen to agree with that.

Do you know that for a fact? When I had Sprint before going to Millenicom I paid all taxes and fees just like as if I had a land line or wireless cell phone. I compared the Sprint bill to my Verizon cell phone bill and they were identical. The difference with Millenicom is it is a true ISP therefore not taxed on the customer level.
done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

done99999999

said by Jack_in_VA:

Do you know that for a fact? When I had Sprint before going to Millenicom I paid all taxes and fees just like as if I had a land line or wireless cell phone. I compared the Sprint bill to my Verizon cell phone bill and they were identical. The difference with Millenicom is it is a true ISP therefore not taxed on the customer level.

Post 15
»www.wildblueworld.com/fo ··· ost53496

I saw others if I could find them, believe one here in one of the sat forums. Suppose fixed wireless Internet is taxed different than mobile.

edit: Was the Millenicom forum, first post this page.
»Millenicom or Verizon? for Home Use - in the new world order

One thing I see if you bundle it in with other devices and want to share data with it, then they will charge you an extra $20 device access or whatever fee on top of that.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA

TAXES on mobile broadband,

Fixed wireless and mobile broadband directly from Sprint or Verizon is taxed differently,
than phones and phones with data plans.

I have a tablet on Sprint currently..... In the state of TN, there is no sales tax on internet only devices, and there is only a 1.99 admin fee, and a .60 cent regulatory fee.

A tablet is a data only device. anyone that currently HAS HomeFusion, please chime in with your monthly taxes on your bill.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I beg to differ. I had Sprint directly before switching to Millenicom. It was $59.95/mo but with taxes and fees it was $68.00/mo and when compared to my verizon cell phone bill the taxes and fees were exactly the same so it indeed was taxed the same as a phone line.

But.....Just what damn difference does it make? If we want the service we will pay whatever it costs. Case closed.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

Unfortunately that is not going to happen, with wireless carriers paying off lawmakers to turn their backs on consumers through generous campaign contributions.

Technology will destroy their greed model.

diugo
join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ

3 edits

diugo to kevnich24

to kevnich24
Although the monthly charge, even with taxes and fees, is basically the same, there are three key differences:

1. The HomeFusion modem does not support 3G, while the Millenicom modem does---very useful when "on the road" in tons of places not yet covered by LTE.

2. Verizon will quietly charge you an additional $10 the instant you exceed 20.000000GB---and every gigabyte thereafter. In stark contrast, Millenicom will simply stop service after 20GB---and give you the option to buy more if you want. Much better IMHO.

3. Contract required for HomeFusion---to cover site survey and the "free" installation. No contract with Millenicom. After being held hostage by Verizon contracts for over eight years now, I find this freedom particularly refreshing.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
And the sad news cometh:
quote:
Due to increased data costs from the upstream carrier all Millenicom
broadband accounts (Hotspot, Advanced and Standard Plans) will allow for
20GB of data transfer for $89.99 monthly beginning May 1, 2014.

In the event you require higher usage, Millenicom can add data in 20GB
increments for $89.99. This means you no longer need to purchase an
additional device, activation and shipping, to acquire more than 20GB of data.

Please note you can track usage online by checking the usage field at the
bottom of your plan link from the products tab in the Members Center.

Millenicom

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

First Sprint now Verizon. There's nowhere else for Millenicom to go. We best be making alternate plans for internet.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
I just put in a request for them to can my 3G Advanced plan after this month. At this rate, I'm gonna have no choice but to go back to Verizon again just to get decent Internet out here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to ggultra2764

Premium Member

to ggultra2764
said by ggultra2764:

Please note you can track usage online by checking the usage field at the
bottom of your plan link from the products tab in the Members Center.

Millenicom

Just went to the website and checked my usage. 3/27/14. Not too current is it? I'll stick with the Verizon site.

4G Mobile Broadband Unlimited
Billing Cycle ending 04/01/2014
0 day left
Data
9,195.52 MB used
UNLIMITED

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA

Re: TAXES on mobile broadband,

Click for full size
You got the regular 1.99 ADMIN FEE, 40 cent "regulatory fee"....THEN freaking sales tax on THOSE fees.....
So, actually NO taxes on the "internet usage" by itself.
compuguybna

1 edit

compuguybna to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA

VirginMobile just released their AirCard 778S Mobile Hotspot (Mingle) made by Netgear.

VM's first LTE hotspot(tri-band- SPARK enabled)......Might be an option if all your choices run out.

sprint 4G LTE.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

No Sprint coverage here for me.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by ggultra2764:

No Sprint coverage here for me.

I have good Sprint 3G here but I don't think they've ever activated the 4G they installed some time back.