uniqs

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4

Premium Member

[Weather] Sheila's Brush being extra brutal this year

We have something called Sheila's Brush in Newfoundland (anyone else?)

It is basically winter's last hurrah before spring and usually occurs shortly after St. Patrick's Day. Well we thought last week was the brush. Well some models are saying we are getting 50 cm of snow and high winds tomorrow...

»weather.gc.ca/city/pages ··· c_e.html

I am sick of winter
Robert4

Robert4

Premium Member

From local weather man

SUNDAY EVENING UPDATE
It appears seat belt fastening is in order for the Southern half of Newfoundland.
-There's been some shifting in the afternoon model runs, however Monday-Tuesday still looks like messy mix of significant Snow & Ice Pellets for the Southern portion of the Island, with the potential for 30-50+ cm in the heaviest hit areas by Wednesday morning.
-As mentioned this morning, the 'Northern edge' of where the heaviest precipitation will fall may be one of the toughest parts of this forecast to nail down. The latest Canadian models have edged things a bit further North, getting places like Corner Brook through Central & across to Terra Nova & Bonavista into a bit of the Snow action Monday night into Tuesday morning. Meanwhile the Euro & GFS are continue to keep things further South. With all that in mind, from Stephenville & the Port au Port across the interior to Clarenville and the Northern Avalon Peninsula, including Metro and areas to the South of that line of are likely going to bare the brunt of this slowly moving system, with amounts dropping off quickly as you move Northward.
-Snow is already pulling into the Southwest Coast tonight and will slowly spread Eastward over the next 12-18 hours, arriving in St. John's Metro by Monday afternoon.
-By Tuesday Morning, that line from Stephenville across to Clarenville to Metro & areas South could be looking at totals ranging from 20-30 cm of Snow & Ice Pellets with the heaviest amounts and best chance of 30+ along the South Coast. Again, given the shifting we've been seeing and sharp boundaries with this Storm, stay tuned for any updates on these totals.
-The Storm continues to roll through on Tuesday and Tuesday night, but with more uncertainty given the fact that some forecast models are really bringing in the potential for a solid swath of Ice Pellets and possibly even some Freezing Rain to mix in, especially over the Burin & Southern Avalon Peninsulas, which will have an impact on amounts.
-We'll see what the overnight forecast models have to say and I'll have updates here on the blog on Monday morning... but fasten those seatbelts... the next few days look like a 'bumpy' ride for many.
Environment Canada has updated their Warnings and bulletins, check out Rodney's post below.
Ryan

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Robert4

Premium Member

to Robert4
We had eight inches of ice snow fall last night here in the Niagara Region, but no one heard anything about it because it didn't happen in Toronto. In like a lion, out like a lion I guess.

Luckily for us, it almost all melted by the time the sun started beating down on it with +6 temps this afternoon. Only had to shovel the top end of my driveway that is shaded from the sun by my house. Supposed to be up above 10 tomorrow and in the 10-15 range for the next week, even as high as 18 on Tuesday. Still mostly below normal but I'll take it!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Robert4

Premium Member

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

Who is Sheila?
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Robert4

to Robert4
Edit the title to drop the "r" in brush and intrigue us.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to Robert4

to Robert4
when do the iceberg's start floating in?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
8 inches of snow overnight, would cripple Toronto, weekends are worse due to all the parking at the side of the roads.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Robert4

Mod

to Robert4
The NCR got ~12cm of snow on the weekend (according to what friends have told me) but I was about 2 hours upriver and we didn't get a flake. Sunday was a *gorgeous* afternoon spent on the deck of the cottage enjoying the sunshine in a t-shirt, after a morning run on the snow machines to check on the fishing camp about 15 km away.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Yes, I was surprised to wake up to 12 cm of very wet heavy snow yesterday morning.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Robert4

Premium Member

to Robert4
You'll have to rename it "Sheila's Power Sprayer"

I have never heard of this till now, a link to the legend: »past.theweathernetwork.c ··· _03_2010
Another link from the NFLD government archives: »www.heritage.nf.ca/dicti ··· 103.html

Robert4
Premium Member
St John'S, NL

Robert4

Premium Member

Well 22 cm down so far. Another 20-30 forecasted.

Up side is my office is closed. Downside is my bride is considered essential so she is not closed. As soon as the plow comes I need to snow blow her out.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

CBC radio reported that the kids have had five consecutive days off school due to the weather - good to be a kid down there.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to Robert4

Premium Member

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

It is basically winter's last hurrah before spring and usually occurs shortly after St. Patrick's Day. Well we thought last week was the brush. Well some models are saying we are getting 50 cm of snow and high winds tomorrow...

»weather.gc.ca/city/pages ··· c_e.html

I am sick of winter

My sister sent me a picture of her driveway and her SUV was not visible in it because of a snowdrift. That's one thing I don't miss about Newfoundland. I'll sit back and enjoy the 6 degree weather we are enjoying here in Ontario right now

Robert4
Premium Member
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
That's PEI, which is in the Maritimes. We aren't that pussy

blah
@videotron.ca

blah to Robert4

Anon

to Robert4
said by Robert4:

Well 22 cm down so far. Another 20-30 forecasted.

Sucks. Read Manitoba and Northern Ontario was supposed to get 30-50cm like you.

Robert4
Premium Member
St John'S, NL

Robert4

Premium Member

Final number was 37 CM
Robert4

Robert4

Premium Member

And I swear this is from This Hour has 22 Minutes. Sounds like Ma and Eddy Reardon

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· .2596691