uniqs

Kulldar
Premium Member
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

Elder Scrolls Online

I played the beta and wasn't too excited for the game. I logged on at 7:15am Sunday morning and wasn't expecting much. Before I knew it, an hour turned into two, then 4. Before I knew it I spent most of my day playing and I really enjoyed it.

The character creation was very robust. That's not a huge selling point for me, but it was nice to have so many options. I spent more time than I thought I would getting my khajiit to look just right.

Combat was very fun. I thought a limited number of attacks would quickly get boring but I found it to be very engaging. I like the block and disrupt mechanics, it adds additional flavor to combat. The skill tree's were very cool. There are so many different options when spending skill points, I often had a hard time deciding.

The quest lines were fun, and the story was great. I made a point to read all the books and notes that I found. I found it cool that many of them referenced events from previous Elder Scrolls games.

Based on the reviews I've read pvp was very good in beta. I've only gotten to level 7 so far so I'm anxious to try it.

What are all your first impressions of the game?

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis

Premium Member

what class r u?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Kulldar

to Kulldar
BBL, too busy playing! lol

Seriously I liked the (soft) launch. About as uneventful as such a launch can be. Only ran into a couple of times where I had to kill the game and restart because I was lagged-out in an area with a lot of players. Most of the time it wouldn't matter how many people were around, game still kept running without a hiccup.

They fixed pretty much all of the quest bugs. Only ran into one of them even though as of the last beta at least 25-30% of quests had serious bugs and about 10% had bugs that prevented you from being able to complete them.

I logged off last night at level 11, lvl 29 in provisioning. Food is one of the basic needs of life after all!

We'll see how strong the server are tomorrow night (3-day early access) and Friday.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
I'm playing a Nightblade, mainly assassination in skill. Anything my level dies quick, one level below me dies in three attacks.

I did a little bit of crafting, but kept falling short of materials. I think tonight I might just explore the land and gather for awhile. It's nice being able to make equipment that's actually useful. I added extra ore to a dagger to increase the damage on it which was a cool feature.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
Most discussin for ESO is going on here: »Elder Scrolls Online Doomed?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

That doomed thread has run its course. Time to start a new one.

I have been playing the last couple days and I have really enjoyed this game. My cousin and I are playing together and have been doing pretty well. We have died a couple times but only due to our fault. The launch has been very stable. Yes, there are bugs but the servers have been up and we haven't had any big problems. We played most of the day on Sunday and Monday. I am flying back to day and can't wait to play again.
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to Kulldar

to Kulldar
I'm having an amazing time with the game so far. It's not perfect by any means, but no game is. Melee combat feels really fantastic, though my only qualm is that for certain fights going into them in first person is crippling because you can't see around you. So, unfortunately I sometimes have to swap out of first person. Luckily, 3rd person combat is perfectly fine so it's not too bad.

The world is huge and oozing with personality. I love many of the characters that travel with you as you progress through the story. It's nice to see their own individual stories progress. Many of these dialogues are totally optional; the game won't tell you to talk to them. You just have to recognize them and go up to them on your own, which I think is great.

I've run into 3 quests that are broken and can't be completed, 1 of which was fixed earlier this week, but the other 2 remain broken. They're not main story quests, so it's not terrible, but it kind of sucks that I can't finish them. Hopefully they get those kinks worked out soon.

Oh and this is the first MMO I've played where even at low levels my character looks rather awesome. Usually the armor you get from quests makes you look ghetto as all hell with a mish mash of colors, but they've done a good job of making sure that you actually look like a heroic character rather than a peasant that fell into a vat of rainbow colored dye.

I probably won't join a guild or jump into PvP until I hit 50, but I'm looking forward to giving the end-game content a whirl and perhaps actually finishing some raids in this MMO ( I've never completed any end-game raid in any MMO =\ )
Derlos
Premium Member
join:2009-10-28
Rigaud, QC

Derlos

Premium Member

I'm having a great time with this game as well. It's still very early, but it shows a lot of promise moving forward in my opinion.

Much like my early Skyrim experience, I've been in character making mode for a bit, trying to find which set up I see myself investing most of my game time at this point. I've settled on 2h templar, mixing magical class attacks with the 2h skill attacks. I'm having a lot of fun.

I enjoy that I can't just steam roll camps of NPCs and have to think about how I'm going to approach situations so I don't get overwhelmed, pulling other packs of mobs ect.

My experience with the community up to this point has been good. Everyone has been helpful thus far in my experience. I thought I'd hate the lack of an AH, yet found the actual need to interact with others to buy and sell a good thing at this poing. I find I'm also enjoying the quest choke points, in that it is sort of pseudo grouping in the leveling phase. You can have a number of players working through a dungeon type area towards the quest objective, all seemingly working together and helping each other with mobs. The clear reason for me is individual looting, in that everyone who participates in downing a mob, be it healing another or tagging the mob, can loot with no detriment to others involved.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

The only minor issue I've run into is with dodging. I use the Belkin nTE52 controller for movement. When I'm in combat and have to be mobile I'm often inadvertently rolling and dodging. I've played with some of the settings on the controller but I can't seem to find something that works well. I might need to key-bind some other key for a roll/dodge if that's possible.

Other than that I have no complaints. The graphics are really nice, and I love the detail. The armor and weapons are nice, and the terrain is awesome. Still getting use to the crafting but I'm sure that will come with playing around.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

You can disable double-press on the direction keys to dodge. It's in one of the settings menus (I think under Gameplay).

When you disable that the only way to dodge is by using the dodge key.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar

Premium Member

Thanks for the info! So I assume I can hold the dodge key and a direction to dodge in that direction then? That would work well I think.
Derlos
Premium Member
join:2009-10-28
Rigaud, QC

Derlos to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
I've keybinded dodge to a mouse button. You roll in the direction your facing at a single button push. It actually makes it a very effective technique for avoiding heavy/special attacks. Dodge from double directional key press is disabled for me.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
Just made the change, it is under gameplay. Works perfect! Thanks again.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to Kulldar

to Kulldar
Okay, so at level 48 my opinion of the game has gone down. Well, I guess that's not accurate. I do love the game, but right now we're having some relationship problems. Namely, the game is being a bitch.

I've played a number of MMO's in my time and while it's not unusual for quests to be broken in the first month, I've never in my life seen so many problems with quests on launch. Right now, I have several quests in my Journal that are simply broken and no amount of dropping the quest or re-logging will fix them. And yes, I've bug reported everything I've encountered.

The Ghosts of Westtry: You're supposed to observe 2 ghosts talking towards the end of this quest. They never appear and so it doesn't progress.

Children of Yokuda: You're supposed to destroy 3 barrels of poison in the sewer. Only 2 will spawn. No 3rd barrel will appear, thus it can't be completed.

The Heart of the Beast: Here, you have to fight Aspect's of Speed, Strength and Guile. However, the Aspect of Guile appears where the Aspect of Speed is supposed to be (it's actually in 2 different places simultaneously) and so you can't get credit for the quest. The duplicate also respawns immediately so people were sitting there farming it.

Now, up until this point none of these are progress blocking quests I've run across. It's frustrating that I've gone all the way through them and I can't finish them, sure, but I was able to move on. However, now I'm on the final questline and there's a major problem with "A Graveyard of Ships".

You're supposed to protect a Khajit that's breaking a door down, but after fighting the 3 waves of mobs his animation resets and, even if he verbally says that he's good to go, he'll reappear and you can't enter the ship. This is part of the main quest, folks, and you can't get the last Skyshard in Coldharbour without completing it.

These are all just quests on the Daggerfall side (not counting the main quest of which we all do). Now, with that being said, this isn't where the problems stop.
There's some serious problems with quest NPC's not working, portals not appearing (they'll be there, but they're invisible), and objectives not spawning. In most cases these issues can be resolved by logging out of the game and logging back in. However, the fact that you have to do this on a seemingly constant basis is ridiculous. I've had to re-log at least 20 times while leveling through the game to fix things that bugged out.

For the game to be released in this state is just an embarrassment. What pisses me off the most is that ESO is a damn fun game with an amazing world, memorable characters and I've legitimately had more fun than I've had in years whilst playing through it.

But, these bugs are seriously unacceptable. I don't know how they managed to leave bugs this severe in the game months after they were initially reported (having to re-log to fix things is something we were doing even back in December in the first closed beta period I participated in).
And I haven't even gotten into the dungeons yet, which I'm told are a buggy mess with the same issues with quests as outlined above (except, in some cases, even worse).

They better roll out some serious patch notes on Wednesday's maintenance period this week. If they don't get this shit fixed quick, fast and in a hurry it's going to boil over when the masses all start running into the same problems.

tldr; Game released with numerous glitches in side quests, a main quest line that can't be completed, and constant problems with NPC's and objectives not working right or not spawning unless you re-log or drop the quest and pick it up again.

Ast1
@80.79.208.x

Ast1

Anon

I am actually impressed you got that far with so little issue. Heck, in most MMOs come release you can get on so infrequently or get kicked out so often you rarely get to go far enough to discover a lot of the bugs.

Bugged quests are very annoying though, unfortunately, becaue of the new Megaserver Technoology and the complexities of the phasing, this game will suffer more than any other with quests bugging out I believe, and it will take some time for them to get an understanding on how to prevent it rather than just having to fix it after it happens - more importantly, it means there is risk of quests seemingly being fixed only to break again due to X Y or Z.

Course, one bad thing about releasing the game on a Friday is that all issues that are found (which of course are many on a release) cannot be addressed because to bring the servers down during a weekend is a nightmare at the best of times, doing it on release weekend would be mass outcry. So, unless something is actually gamebreaking for the masses, they will simply keep things up and running.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Gandalf4503

MVM

to Gandalf4503
said by Gandalf4503:

But, these bugs are seriously unacceptable. I don't know how they managed to leave bugs this severe in the game months after they were initially reported (having to re-log to fix things is something we were doing even back in December in the first closed beta period I participated in).

Bugs are going to be prevalent in a game like this. Just that you got to level 48 in a week of play time is commendable. I remember past MMORPG launches and how bad they were. This game was probably one of the best MMORPG launches I have experienced. The servers were stable. There were bugged quests, but for the most part 98% of the quests worked fine. Getting into Cyrodiil was an issue for me as well, but I could get in eventually.

In short, the problem is with us, the consumer and gamer. We expect a bug free experience, which isn't going to happen in reality.

Kulldar
Premium Member
Warren, MI

Kulldar to Gandalf4503

Premium Member

to Gandalf4503
Level 48...wow. How many hours would you say it took to get that far?

I spent hours playing the pvp campaign this weekend. I'm not sure how the advancement works in there but I think I got 3 skill points without my experience points going up. I initially tried making my way around the map and attempted to take an enemy flag by myself... big mistake! I was stealthed and very far away and the guards at the flag spotted me and burned me down quick. Then I spent hours with a group sieging fort Faregyl (sp?). It was a lot of fun.

I haven't run into any bugged quests yet, but then again I'm still only level 11. I probably got about 20 hours of total play time at this point. I'm still really enjoying the game. I spend many hours just exploring the land and gather materials.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

1 recommendation

Gandalf4503 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by Gandalf4503:

Bugs are going to be prevalent in a game like this. Just that you got to level 48 in a week of play time is commendable. I remember past MMORPG launches and how bad they were. This game was probably one of the best MMORPG launches I have experienced. The servers were stable. There were bugged quests, but for the most part 98% of the quests worked fine. Getting into Cyrodiil was an issue for me as well, but I could get in eventually.

In short, the problem is with us, the consumer and gamer. We expect a bug free experience, which isn't going to happen in reality.

Okay, I'm pretty tired of this apologetic tone that people take with MMORPG's. The problem is not with "us". Bugs are expected, yes, but on the main quest line? No. This should have been heavily QA'd. Not being able to complete this is unacceptable.

And again, having to re-log constantly because NPC's and world objects break? This has been something that was being bug reported way back in December and is still a problem. This means that there's a fundamental underlying issue with their design that they either haven't addressed or cannot address.

Again, not acceptable. We each paid $60 - $100 for this game (depending on the version bought). Expecting bugs to be fixed, which they've known about months in advance, should be the norm. Consumers like you, who think "Oh, releasing a broken game is OK, they'll fix it eventually" is what allows developers to continue to bend consumers over and release games that are broken out of the gate.

Stop being an apologist.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I'm in DC as well and those quests I have done up to level 27 are still bugged. It is annoying. Worse, I had the level 20 main story quest bug out where an NPC you are following needed to open tthe way and he didn't. And I was in Coldharbour, with no way back to the normal world. My only recourse was to spawn to a friend; I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a friend online. I'm scared to go back and re-try that quest now, at least until I know someone is definitely going to be on for a while when I do it.

Man you really must have poopsocked it to get to 48 already. I poopsocked it and am 20 levels below you!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Gandalf4503

MVM

to Gandalf4503
said by Gandalf4503:

Stop being an apologist.

It has less to do with an apologist and more to do with being a realist. Good luck with that attitude though. Its completely unrealistic to expect no bugs from a game at this stage in its release. Now, where we do have an agreement is that past bugs should have been fixed before release, and from what I have seen many of them have been addressed and fixed from when I played beta. Almost all of the problems I have with the game as it stands now haven't happened in the past with my previous play experience.

I didn't say that "releasing a broken game is OK". I would appreciate the courtesy of not being told I said or thought something when I didn't. If you would like to have a rational discussion, the first rule is to not make assumptions or put words in the mouths of people you are having the discussion with.
Nightfall

Nightfall to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

I'm in DC as well and those quests I have done up to level 27 are still bugged.

I haven't had that experience in Glenumbra. All the bugged quests that I hit going from 1-16 in beta are gone. All the bugged situations that I hit in that time frame are also gone. What has been bugged has been different things for me.

For instance.

All of a sudden finding myself in the clouds and unable to do a /stuck command.

Not being able to load Cyrodiil on a regular basis (infinite load screen).

These are just a couple things, but things I didn't see in beta.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Kulldar

Premium Member

to Kulldar
In support of the online help team I did submit a bug that a location wasn't allowing me to 'discover' it (Azura's Shrine in the 2nd zone) and sent a bug report. 10 minutes later I was nowhere near the shrine and it unlocked and turned white. So either I had some lag or someone on the support team fixed it for me.

I agree bugs are to be expected, but since the leveling process is so quest driven you'd think they would make these broken quests their top priority. The fact that they haven't tells me that they may not have figured out exactly how to fix these quests yet, or that they're prioritizing and these are not at the top of the batch. After all, what population of players are level 48? It would make sense to wait a bit on that and fix, say, The Ghosts of Westry that a ton of people are waiting on.
TheBionic

TheBionic to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I haven't had that experience in Glenumbra.

Yeah Glenumbra was pretty OK bug wise. The assassins in the crates was sort of bugged but I was able to finally complete it. The next zone is where the Ghosts of Westry is, and it's bugged for everyone as far as I can tell. Same with the Children of Yokuda, that's in the 3rd zone and bugged for everyone (I am terrible with zone names).
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

In support of the online help team I did submit a bug that a location wasn't allowing me to 'discover' it (Azura's Shrine in the 2nd zone) and sent a bug report. 10 minutes later I was nowhere near the shrine and it unlocked and turned white. So either I had some lag or someone on the support team fixed it for me.

I agree bugs are to be expected, but since the leveling process is so quest driven you'd think they would make these broken quests their top priority. The fact that they haven't tells me that they may not have figured out exactly how to fix these quests yet, or that they're prioritizing and these are not at the top of the batch. After all, what population of players are level 48? It would make sense to wait a bit on that and fix, say, The Ghosts of Westry that a ton of people are waiting on.

I certainly realize I'm in the minority when it comes to level, but the broken quest is literally preventing me from getting the last Skyshard in Coldharbour and finishing the main quest line. It's more important than any side quest, regardless of level.

They're bringing the servers down today for a patch. Patch notes aren't out yet, so I don't know what's being fixed, but hopefully it's things that are relevant to the problems I and others have seen with the main quest. Coldharbour is really, really glitchy right now.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Gandalf4503:

I certainly realize I'm in the minority when it comes to level, but the broken quest is literally preventing me from getting the last Skyshard in Coldharbour and finishing the main quest line. It's more important than any side quest, regardless of level.

More important to you, and the 4% of people that are that close to 50 and are able to start that quest. To the 90% that are eligible to complete The Ghost of Westry and can't, not so much. If you were a dev, which would you fix first? Obviously I made up those percentages, but you get the point.

But yeah, broken quests are annoying. I hung around the Ghosts and Children quests for quite a while before realizing that no amount of re-logging or coming back later were going to fix them. Fortunately the game is so jam packed with content you can go do other things and forget about it for awhile, before you come back and try unsuccessfully again, lol.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to TheBionic

MVM

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Nightfall:

I haven't had that experience in Glenumbra.

Yeah Glenumbra was pretty OK bug wise. The assassins in the crates was sort of bugged but I was able to finally complete it. The next zone is where the Ghosts of Westry is, and it's bugged for everyone as far as I can tell. Same with the Children of Yokuda, that's in the 3rd zone and bugged for everyone (I am terrible with zone names).

The Ghosts of Westry was fixed over the weekend with patch 1.0.1 I believe. I was able to finish that in 30 seconds after the patch. Never had a problem with the Children of Yokuda quest. My cousin and I finished that one easily.

We did have a problem killing Falchou but the next day we were able to complete it.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by Gandalf4503:

More important to you, and the 4% of people that are that close to 50 and are able to start that quest. To the 90% that are eligible to complete The Ghost of Westry and can't, not so much. If you were a dev, which would you fix first? Obviously I made up those percentages, but you get the point.

But yeah, broken quests are annoying. I hung around the Ghosts and Children quests for quite a while before realizing that no amount of re-logging or coming back later were going to fix them. Fortunately the game is so jam packed with content you can go do other things and forget about it for awhile, before you come back and try unsuccessfully again, lol.

I don't think you understand. It's a -main- story quest. You can't start Veteran content until you finish the main story. No side quest is going to prevent that. I couldn't give two shits about any side quest. This prevents main story and end-game progression.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
Cool, thanks! It was not fixed the last time I tried it Saturday, but I didn't try yesterday at all.
TheBionic

1 edit

TheBionic to Gandalf4503

Premium Member

to Gandalf4503
said by Gandalf4503:

I don't think you understand. It's a -main- story quest. You can't start Veteran content until you finish the main story.

I understand just fine, thanks. The fact is that almost no one is eligible for that content yet and so it shouldn't be a big priority for the devs just yet IMO, and they should cater to the largest part of their audience, main quest or not.

EDIT: That's not to say that it shouldn't get fixed as quickly as possible in the next patch, it should, just that the devs have to manage their time and should do what will help the largest number of people.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

said by TheBionic:

said by Gandalf4503:

I don't think you understand. It's a -main- story quest. You can't start Veteran content until you finish the main story.

I understand just fine, thanks. The fact is that almost no one is eligible for that content yet and so it shouldn't be a big priority for the devs just yet IMO, and they should cater to the largest part of their audience, main quest or not.

You really are showing a significant amount of ignorance here. The whole "it doesn't apply to me so it's not a problem" mindset is utterly dumb. You've said it yourself; there's a ton of other content and certainly many ways to supplement the XP you would have gotten from a side quest. These are in no way top priority.

Main content, which prevents end-game progression and cannot be gotten around by "doing other things" is a problem that needs to be addressed first. Just because it doesn't affect you right this moment (it will when you get there) doesn't mean it's less important. I suspect that if you ran into a progression blocking bug at level 30 or wherever you are that prevented you from continuing the main story quest you would all of a sudden start to care.

So please, don't sit there and act like some piece of shit side quest is more important than main story content just because you're not there.