Search similar:

uniqs

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

[Caps] So I have a Legitimate Cap Question...

So I was trying to figure out our current cap in our market... we have the 50 meg tier... currently getting 55-60 meg down and 10-12 up...

According to the bill we're on BLAST but according to the cap page blast only gets 350 GB cap. (source »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· unching/) The Extreme 50 gets 450 GB. Also when I log in where is the meter? That seems to have disappeared. How can I monitor our usage when we have well over 10 devices... probably more? Especially when they pushed their Router/Wifi device...

I used to have a DD-WRT router that would give me that info but they wanted me to upgrade to their device... and since I already rented one for CDV I decided to go with it...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew

[Caps] Re: So I have a Legitimate Cap Question...

The cap probably doesn't apply to you yet, and if it does it would be a flat 300GB cap. If it does apply it will be on the My Services page under equipment.

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx
what model/make router do you have now?
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx
so like.. here
i call bs on the need for caps

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck

you are very fortunate that the caps are not enforced in your area, like they are in mine

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502
SMCD3GNV
MalibuMaxx

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Okay so the My Services which is where I was looking for the meter... its gone... so I imagine this means that there is no cap atm for our area... good to know... and if there is one... I can just say that there is no meter for me to follow... will check that page in the future too...

DooBee
@67.175.36.x

DooBee

Anon

The usage meter always disappears from my services for a couple of hours end/beginning of the new month when it resets. Check it later or tomorrow, should appear with a note under it saying the 250GB limit is currently suspended. If it still fails to appear call in.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx
According to the document found here SNMP is supported > »na.smc.com/wp-content/up ··· 0430.pdf

With SNMP supported, this means you can probably monitor for bandwidth utilization on the outside interface. This is the one interface all traffic goes in and out of, and will give a indication of how much bandwidth you are using a month.

Instant message me if you would like to know more information.
davidc502

davidc502 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx
By the way.. LOL... that's a hell of a lot of data usage.....

You must keep bittorrent going 24/7 to get results like those... lol Wow

If you don't believe you have excessive usage, and think the graphs are wrong then you need to monitor the outside interface for traffic to dispute.

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

mahicks to videomatic3

to videomatic3
Holy SHIiTAKE Mushrooms! I am in a no cap area and have multiple devices and worry when I push 275-315GB!

Have you ever had any adverse action or anything from Comcast?
Gotta ask....why are you using that much BW?

goofy01
join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN

goofy01 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx

Re: [Caps] So I have a Legitimate Cap Question...

Click for full size
As you can see, I am just up the road from you and mine shows no cap in place... for now.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to mahicks

to mahicks

Re: [Caps] Re: So I have a Legitimate Cap Question...

said by mahicks:

Holy SHIiTAKE Mushrooms!

I'm surprised the "Comcrap" police haven't swung by to pick his A$$ up.

I took a picture of the cable coming out of his house. >>>>>>>

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3
said by videomatic3:

so like.. here
i call bs on the need for caps

So THAT's why my neighborhood in MN was having congestion issues... You are "affecting" me from CA!? *sarcasm*

I agree with bs on the need for caps... If you can have that much bandwidth usage and the news doesn't say something about the guy who used too much bandwidth today, there is no excuse for ISP's to use bandwidth caps as a congestion control mechanism...

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

I agree with you, but the reasons why they do are fairly obvious. For every dollar ISP's collect, a certain number should be re-invested into the network. Not just for support or maintenance, but for upgrades. I'm sure Comcast does just that, but to what extent is not known. Considering the massive number of people on their network, it would seem to me that they should have the $ to have one of the fastest. Instead, we are seeing a lot of congestion. I don't have the numbers, but it seems to me the investment is there, but maybe not as much as needed or what is perceived to be needed. Case in point -- High salaries for the top execs, and the construction of buildings I.E. skyscraper(s).

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

Well of course because if they had actually used that government funding a decade ago to build out their networks for today's demands, we wouldn't be at the point where we need to consider caps... Skyscrapers and vacation homes...

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

I agree, and to make your point is why I left Comcast. I've come to find out TDS (MY current ISP), took Federal Stimulus dollars from 2009 to fund the fiber Optics that runs to my house as well as the town I live in.

TDS was smart enough to invest what they had, plus stimulus to put together a network that could compete for the future. This in contrast to building skyscrapers and paying bloated salaries. Not to say TDS's execs don't make a lot of money because they probably do, but I would bet it's not on the same scale as Comcast.
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

1 recommendation

videomatic3 to mahicks

to mahicks
said by mahicks:

Have you ever had any adverse action or anything from Comcast?

only had 1 phone call from comcast about 2 years ago complaining i used 2761gb in a month, i just told them id switch to at&t and they never called back again.
said by mahicks:

Gotta ask....why are you using that much BW?

just keeping my positive ratio

MalibuMaxx
Premium Member
Chesterton, IN

MalibuMaxx

Premium Member

Re: [Caps] So I have a Legitimate Cap Question...

So I waited a few days and this is what I get...

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to MalibuMaxx

to MalibuMaxx
Comcast says they haven't had data caps in 2 years? Does this sound right? Before I left 2 months ago, they consistently kept track of my usage.

»To Defend Merger, Comcast Pretends They Don't Have, Want Caps [53] comments