BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins

Re: Downgrade from Win-8 to Win-7

You can't just install classic shell, and be done. You need to manually set desktop applications as default also, and show them how to close metro apps when they do get opened. Don't forget the 8.1 update is coming soon too so at least they'll finally have a close button instead of that retarded drag action. They should have just allowed metro apps to be windowed in the first place, but the morons thought everyone wanted their os to look like a pos ipad.

dagoof4
Premium Member
join:2014-03-28
united state

dagoof4

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

You can't just install classic shell, and be done. You need to manually set desktop applications as default also, and show them how to close metro apps when they do get opened. Don't forget the 8.1 update is coming soon too so at least they'll finally have a close button instead of that retarded drag action. They should have just allowed metro apps to be windowed in the first place, but the morons thought everyone wanted their os to look like a pos ipad.

I have zero idea what you're going on about. I installed Start 8 and called it a day. I don't use any Metro apps. I just pretend they aren't there.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

said by dagoof4:

I have zero idea what you're going on about.

So you never did something like open a media file, and it opened in those useless metro apps? Then you really don't use a computer for much, and shouldn't be offering your opinion in what you don't understand. You have to manually associate the desktop programs with files types automatically associated with metro apps. That is unless you actually like those crappy fullscreen metro apps that only belong on a tiny tablet, and not allowed to go windowed.

Maybe you should actually know about something before commenting on it next time?

On the machine I have Win 8 on I don't even bother with a start menu replacement, you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

2 recommendations

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by BlitzenZeus:

said by dagoof4:

you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.

BINGO!

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

So you never did something like open a media file, and it opened in those useless metro apps?

Nope! If you first go in and uninstall all the Metro Apps, you don't have that problem! When I go and install Windows 8 as well as 8.1, one of my first steps in my build process is to right-click on each of the Apps and select "Uninstall". In doing so, you put the default players back to what they should be.

Since Windows 8 comes with Media Player, all of my media (video) files open in that without any problems, and no full screen metro apps.

Kind of hard to open in an app that is no longer on the machine.
said by BlitzenZeus:

On the machine I have Win 8 on I don't even bother with a start menu replacement, you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.

I don't have a start menu replacement either. I use the Start Screen and I actually like it. I will admit that I did not like it at first, but it has grown on me.

--Brian
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

You can't uninstall all the metro apps, therefore part of the problem.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

3 recommendations

DownTheShore to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

said by BlitzenZeus:

said by dagoof4:

you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.

BINGO!

I guess you've never installed VLC, or any third-party anti-malware software, or any imaging programs other than Paint, or any of the myriad other bits of software that people install on their Windows computers because the included MS versions don't meet their needs? Putting on Classic Shell or Start 8 is not "jumping through hoops". Nor is setting file associations, which is a normal aspect of installing software - if it matters to the user what particular program opens a particular type of file. Most casual users don't really care which is the default program, and if they do, they know how to easily change it.

Not everyone gets their knickers in a twist just because the Metro side pops up on occasion, you know. I don't mind .PDFs, for example opening on the Metro side instead of in my browser. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to click in the upper left corner to switch back and forth between the different views.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

You're confusing adding software with more features over a gui takeover that is disliked by many, and was a poorly designed ipad clone originally. If they had made metro completely optional it wouldn't have been such a big deal, or at least put in the effort to make it like what 8.1 U1 will be it wouldn't have been received as badly, however not everyone would like it.

Microsoft isn't directly responsible for 3rd party malware with the exception of when their software is exploited, and not by the fault of user intervention. More people run windows without an active av than you realize, but they're nothing new, the term rootkit wasn't born with windows....

When you have 23" HD monitors fullscreen metro apps are not what we want.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Depends on if you are talking about Windows 8.0, or Windows 8.1.

Below is the list of Metro Apps that come pre-installed with Windows 8.0. You can uninstall every single one of them from the Start Screen by right-clicking on the app, and selecting uninstall. By the way, Reader is not pinned to the first Start Screen, it is only listed on the 2nd, or All Apps part of the Start Screen.

• Bing
• Camera
• Finance
• Games
• Maps
• Music
• News
• Photos
• Reader
• SkyDrive
• Sports
• Travel
• Video
• Weather
• Messenging, Calendar, People, Mail (Uninstall one, and it will uninstall the rest)

However, you are correct if you are talking about Windows 8.1. Here is the full list of Apps that come with Windows 8.1. As with the location of the Reader App in Windows 8.0, 8 of these (Alarms, Calculator, Reader, Scan, Sound Recorder, and Travel) are only listed on the 2nd part of the Start Screen (they are not pinned to the main Start Screen).

• Alarms
• Calculator
• Camera
• Finance
• Food & Drink
• Games
• Health & Fitness
• Help + Tips
• Maps
• Music
• News
• Photos
• Reader
• Reading List
• Scan
• SkyDrive
• Sports
• Travel
• Video
• Weather
• Calendar, People, Mail (Uninstall one, and it will uninstall the rest)

In the list for Windows 8.1, the following 3 Apps cannot be removed.
• Camera
• Photos
• SkyDrive

The only one that I could see causing a small problem would be the Photos app, as that would be set as the default when you click on an image file. That is fixed very easy, with just a few clicks of the mouse to change the file association for your image files. I know in my specific case, I only have .jpg files on my system (no bmp's, no png's, etc). I made it a point to rename every image file that I save to my local system as a .jpg file, and they are only stored in the "My Pictures" Library. If there is an image somewhere else (Program directory, Web Browser cache, etc), I would not be clicking on it directly from Explorer, so it does not matter. Also, if I do save an image from a web page, and its not a .jpg, I will go into paint, open the image from inside of paint, convert it to a .jpg, and then delete the non jpg file. So, I only have to change one file association. But, I would think it would be very easy to change the rest so that the Picture app is not associated with any file types. An app will never launch if it has no files associated with it, unless you launch it directly.

I don't know which file type(s) would be associated with Camera, or SkyDrive. I know that I have yet to click on a file and have it throw me into either one of these applications.

Since I don't have a Microsoft account, I don't have (and probably never will) need to use SkyDrive for anything.

The Web Cam that I have is a Logitech QuickCam Easy/Cool model #V-UBQ42. It comes with its own Software which I launch directly if I want to use the my camera to take pics or video. I also use my camera with Skype, which (as far as I know) does not use the Camera App, as it has never launched.

I guess if you don't know that you can uninstall the apps, and then go in and make the file association change for the ones that are left, you would be correct. But, if you know you don't want the Apps, just remove them like you would any other piece of software that comes with the OS. If you just started using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 out of the box, then yes, I can see where the issue you describe could be an issue.

--Brian

dagoof4
Premium Member
join:2014-03-28
united state

dagoof4 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
I understand enough to know you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. And it looks like it is you that can't grasp the simple concept of spending minutes to fix something you don't like vs. hours. Like I said, I ignore the Metro apps completely. My laptop looks and behaves like a Windows 7 machine. I guess you can't grasp that either. You hate Windows 8. I get it, thanks for sharing. Buhbye.
dagoof4

dagoof4 to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
So you should completely reinstall another operating system? Whatever floats your boat.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Hmmm... I guess I'll have to research this a little more before I make a final decision. My only experience with Win-8 is I cleaned a laptop (with no mouse) that it was installed on which was a PIA. I was not at home so I didn't have an extra mouse with me. I HATE touch pads!
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Touchpads are not that bad, but yeah they can be annoying to use.

I'd ask them first, but if you delete all the apps you can you just need to default the windows photo viewer, and windows media player as default in default programs. If you don't default the windows photo viewer the photo app will still be default as it can't be removed, which some people here apparently had no idea about.

If they're going to use any kind of e-mail programs at all, and not just webmail you may consider windows live mail 2012, or mozilla thunderbird, however they're not the only choices. If the mail app exists as the default when you click on an e-mail address on a webpage it might launch, but in the browser you might be able to tell it take another action like you can direct browsers like firefox to open gmail/yahoo instead without os default changes.

You'll want to set IE to launch on the desktop only in the internet options in the same default browser section, or install a 3rd party browser like chrome, then make it default. Also note that if you default a 3rd party browser IE will never open in metro mode, IE will only open metro mode if it's default, and not forced to open to the desktop.

If you're going leave the apps you'll have to do more work like defaulting .pdf files to chrome/firefox, otherwise install adobe reader for example. If the event you need to install/reintall metro apps you'll need one of those live accounts.

When you first setup the computer they'll try to force you into a cloud account, just enter test@test.test password test then when that files pick local account type. Have at least one non-cloud administrator on the computer, and if an account has no password that shuts down the computer it will automatically be logged in on next boot. You will have to make new accounts through the metro interface in pc settings unless they somehow are getting pro. If they want to actually use onedrive you can make an account for them, and login as their new address as a new account. At any rate I suggest there is at least two admin accounts like one called admin, and one for their name so in the event of data corruption on the hdd their only administrator account won't be unusable.

Also at least it's just been announced 8.1 U1 will bring back a desktop start menu again, so you might not need to install classic shell at all, just deal with it until you get that update installed. Even windowing metro apps, and these settings are likely buried in the taskbar settings, however 8.1 U1 hasn't been released yet. A new system bought today will still be defaulted to the metro start menu, and those setting are in the taskbar settings to make the desktop the default.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Yes, you can on 8.0. You cannot on 8.1 and that is just one reason in a long list of reasons to NEVER get 8.1.

Actually, it doesn't matter if you have metro apps as all you need to do on 8.0 or 8.1 is disable UAC in the registry and then you cannot use any Metro apps. They can stay installed and won't bother you at all. I don't even get a nag from Microsoft store about upgrading to 8.1. (It's the only app I did not uninstall the day I got this computer but I can't use it and it can't bug me about still having 8.0 unless I enable UAC).
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Are you really going to crap on this thread too? Support for 8.0 ends two years after 8.1 was released, and 8.1 is considered a service pack required to get continued security updates. While you may not want to update, it's not good advice to tell people to ignore security updates.