spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

[Need Info] How are you updating your software?

Let me ask you this. How are you updating your software?.

I would always check if new software version is available or released and than i would Uninstall the current version and install updated version using Standalone Installer.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

[Need Info] Re: How are you updating your software?

I install over the existing installation and call it done.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Depends on the software and how well the software is written. Things like CCleaner, AnyDVD, DVDFab9, Macrium Reflect... I just install over top. Things like Cyberlink PowerDVD, Arcsoft TMT, ESET I prefer to fully uninstall first.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

2 recommendations

mmainprize to 47717768

to 47717768
Try this
»secunia.com/vulnerabilit ··· ersonal/

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Most things I just install over the top, but I do check around first to see what the developer recommends, and if there is any mention of problems with doing it that way.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to mmainprize

to mmainprize
Does it uninstalls the the current version of software first?

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Not unless the program installer dose it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

How are you updating your software?

As needed and as automated.

If a new version of a product doesn't apply to a need I have, then I obviously don't upgrade it for the sake of upgrading as newer versions often introduce changes that disrupt efficiency.

Programs like Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Java, ClassicShell, VLC Media Player, etc., have update notifications so I typically use those.

Most of the time program installers also include uninstall switches to remove previous versions so I let them handle it.

I can't think of a single program I've had to uninstall in the past decade prior to installing a new version.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I can't think of a single program I've had to uninstall in the past decade prior to installing a new version.

This.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Secunia PSI is a nice tool.
Some don't care for the newer v3.x - 2.x is available.
On this page other versions are available.
»secunia.com/products/con ··· sys_req/

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
I used to shut down my running security programs when I had to update software; now I don't even bother with that.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Teeheehee. I was just going to install/update my Glary Pro but decided to do it later when not doing other things needing things running.
jaykaykay

jaykaykay to mmainprize

MVM

to mmainprize
I used to run this program, tried it several times on my system, and I found that it was too darned slow...so I removed it.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Yea. I have just given Secunia PSI a try and it is very slow.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768

Re: [Need Info] How are you updating your software?

I update right over top. I usually don't check for updates unless I'm having a problem or the program tells me there is an update.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to chachazz

to chachazz

Re: [Need Info] Re: How are you updating your software?

said by chachazz:

Secunia PSI is a nice tool.
Some don't care for the newer v3.x - 2.x is available.
On this page other versions are available.
»secunia.com/products/con ··· sys_req/

Yes, Secunia's older version were more manual and i liked them better also. I waited a long time before i went to the newer version. I no longer let it run in the background and run it about once a month, i know that could seem like a long time to some but is fine for me.
mmainprize

mmainprize to 47717768

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Yea. I have just given Secunia PSI a try and it is very slow.

Very slow at what?

It does take some time to scan for all installed programs on the system, and if you have many installed it takes longer to make the list.
It can also scan all drives and look for exe program files (even if not installed) and this can be controlled, that is you set what drives / folders are scanned and this will improve the list load time.

It can also run in auto mode so you don't have to do anything, i don't run it in auto myslef i like to control what gets updated and when. I may go read about the new versions and some time find report of them being buggy and i wait.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: [Need Info] How are you updating your software?

Secunia!
isiah
join:2014-04-01

isiah to 47717768

to 47717768
when the software release new version, I will update it

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Another plug for Secunia here.
I too turn off the background (no auto-start) and do a manually invoked scan every two or three weeks. Also don't apply updates via Secunia; terribly slow, too silent (I'd rather perform patches or clean installs myself), and it appears some come off cache servers at Secunia rather than from software vendor.

Good tool, could be better implemented.

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

1 recommendation

mmainprize to 47717768

to 47717768
Here is one to add to the list.

»www.kls-soft.com/wscc/index.php

WSCC
Windows System Control Center

WSCC is a free, portable program that allows you to install, update, execute and organize the utilities from various system utility suites. WSCC can install and update the supported utilities automatically. Alternatively, WSCC can use the http protocol to download and run the programs. WSCC is portable, installation is not required. Extract the content of the downloaded zip archive to any directory on your computer.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
My Windows auto-updates, along with Adobe reader, Flash. Other programs are often set to either automatically download or notify me about updates, and I update them then. Software that does not notify me at all, usually only gets updated when I notice a new version has been released, and sometimes not even then. If it works, don't fix it.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
As Dustyn See Profile mentioned, it typically depends on the program. I've gotten into the habit of uninstalling apps like Flash and Java prior to loading a newer version.

A feature in the free Avast I've got is a software checker. While it doesn't list each and every program on my computer it does show a mini list of all browsers, CCleaner and Java.

I'd recently installed a previous version of Secunia (thanks chahcazz for that suggestion) as well as FileHippo and have been underwhelmed at both, as they make a point of highlighting a version of Java over and above what Oracle lists as the most current.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to 47717768

to 47717768
I prefer to set my software to let me know when a newer version is available and then install as necessary. Of course things like Windows 8.1 make that a bit rougher to do, but it is possible.

As to uninstalling / installing, I let the program tell me what is necessary and then follow those directions.

NefCanuck