All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JVC
join:2014-03-31

JVC

[Internet] I am trying to define manually a DHCP connection

I am using a 2wire modem from Bell Canada which has its own page showing parameters, but it has two sets of parameters which do not seem to work in any combination I tried. It has a DHCP configuration page, which seems relevant, but when I try those parameters, the connection is not made. I use the router address as both IP and gateway addresses in this case. It also has second user address, which I also tried as the gateway address. Those are the only parameter pages with any mention of DHCP, but they are on the local network tab. On the Internet tab, there are other addresses, which I tried first because they were identified in the same way as those I was asked for, but they did not work. Nothing worked so far in order to allow me to connect to specific Internet addresses. I am going in circles...
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

There is 2 configuration.

WAN is how the modem connects to the Bell network. Don't touch those. It will receive an external address from Bell's DHCP servers.

LAN is how your computers connect to the modem. In a basic setup, you don't touch those either. It will use it's DHCP server to hand out internal addresses (192.168.y.x).

The gateway is the internal modem address (192.168.y.1).

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

1 edit

Glen1 to JVC

MVM

to JVC
I think I know what you are looking for...connect to 192.168.2.1 (2wire)
Choose Network then "advanced settings" then find the device list and click on "edit address allocation" then find your device where it says "device connected" and from the drop down list pick a specific IP from Address Assignment and save.
JVC

JVC to AsherN

to AsherN
Your last line might prove the most useful for my purpose. I am being asked for this information in order to connect to the Internet, I would not dare change it.
JVC

JVC to Glen1

to Glen1
This would mean that if I want to connect to the Internet by specifying those addresses to a third party, I would first have to choose an address? I thought those addresses were constants.

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to JVC

MVM

to JVC
Sometimes it is necessary to have one machine obtain the same address each time it connects...this will reserve the address for that machine. It works best with port forwarding when one machine has an application like PC Anywhere and you want to connect externally to that specific machine.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to JVC

Premium Member

to JVC
OP, what are you trying too achieve, exactly?
JVC

JVC

I am trying to install Debian as a dual system on a Windows machine, but I cannot connect to the servers holding the system installation files.
JVC

JVC to Glen1

to Glen1
My connection details seem to be set in stone.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

So you are either trying to download the ISO from a working machine, or Debian is already on the machine and you are trying to download additional packages? Neither actions require anything other than the default settings on the 2Wire.
JVC

JVC

I am trying to reach the mirror for a Linux distribution. I would have no problem if I could simply go to a Web page with my Web browser and download the files, since the files that I am looking for are visible with a Web browser. But I have to use the download program for the Linux distribution, which is running under Windows. All along, I had a manually configured DHCP network range, whatever that means. I tried using those addresses and failed again and again, but I will try again using only my account number. It has changed some time ago. I tested my DHCP connection just in case and it seems to be working properly.

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to JVC

MVM

to JVC
Download the files when you are running Windows to a CD or a USB key...then boot up into Linux and copy the files where you stored them?