join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to BlitzenZeus

Re: Downgrade from Win-8 to Win-7

said by BlitzenZeus:

said by dagoof:

I have zero idea what you're going on about.

you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.

BINGO!

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

3 recommendations

said by DarkSithPro:

said by BlitzenZeus:

said by dagoof:

I have zero idea what you're going on about.

you should never have to depend on 3rd party to fix microsoft created problems.

BINGO!

I guess you've never installed VLC, or any third-party anti-malware software, or any imaging programs other than Paint, or any of the myriad other bits of software that people install on their Windows computers because the included MS versions don't meet their needs? Putting on Classic Shell or Start 8 is not "jumping through hoops". Nor is setting file associations, which is a normal aspect of installing software - if it matters to the user what particular program opens a particular type of file. Most casual users don't really care which is the default program, and if they do, they know how to easily change it.

Not everyone gets their knickers in a twist just because the Metro side pops up on occasion, you know. I don't mind .PDFs, for example opening on the Metro side instead of in my browser. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to click in the upper left corner to switch back and forth between the different views.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Life is just better when Jeter is in the lineup.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

You're confusing adding software with more features over a gui takeover that is disliked by many, and was a poorly designed ipad clone originally. If they had made metro completely optional it wouldn't have been such a big deal, or at least put in the effort to make it like what 8.1 U1 will be it wouldn't have been received as badly, however not everyone would like it.

Microsoft isn't directly responsible for 3rd party malware with the exception of when their software is exploited, and not by the fault of user intervention. More people run windows without an active av than you realize, but they're nothing new, the term rootkit wasn't born with windows....

When you have 23" HD monitors fullscreen metro apps are not what we want.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dagoof
Premium
join:2014-03-28
united state
reply to DarkSithPro

So you should completely reinstall another operating system? Whatever floats your boat.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BlitzenZeus

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to research this a little more before I make a final decision. My only experience with Win-8 is I cleaned a laptop (with no mouse) that it was installed on which was a PIA. I was not at home so I didn't have an extra mouse with me. I HATE touch pads!
--
Stop The Mindless Killings, Stop Overfishing

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Touchpads are not that bad, but yeah they can be annoying to use.

I'd ask them first, but if you delete all the apps you can you just need to default the windows photo viewer, and windows media player as default in default programs. If you don't default the windows photo viewer the photo app will still be default as it can't be removed, which some people here apparently had no idea about.

If they're going to use any kind of e-mail programs at all, and not just webmail you may consider windows live mail 2012, or mozilla thunderbird, however they're not the only choices. If the mail app exists as the default when you click on an e-mail address on a webpage it might launch, but in the browser you might be able to tell it take another action like you can direct browsers like firefox to open gmail/yahoo instead without os default changes.

You'll want to set IE to launch on the desktop only in the internet options in the same default browser section, or install a 3rd party browser like chrome, then make it default. Also note that if you default a 3rd party browser IE will never open in metro mode, IE will only open metro mode if it's default, and not forced to open to the desktop.

If you're going leave the apps you'll have to do more work like defaulting .pdf files to chrome/firefox, otherwise install adobe reader for example. If the event you need to install/reintall metro apps you'll need one of those live accounts.

When you first setup the computer they'll try to force you into a cloud account, just enter test@test.test password test then when that files pick local account type. Have at least one non-cloud administrator on the computer, and if an account has no password that shuts down the computer it will automatically be logged in on next boot. You will have to make new accounts through the metro interface in pc settings unless they somehow are getting pro. If they want to actually use onedrive you can make an account for them, and login as their new address as a new account. At any rate I suggest there is at least two admin accounts like one called admin, and one for their name so in the event of data corruption on the hdd their only administrator account won't be unusable.

Also at least it's just been announced 8.1 U1 will bring back a desktop start menu again, so you might not need to install classic shell at all, just deal with it until you get that update installed. Even windowing metro apps, and these settings are likely buried in the taskbar settings, however 8.1 U1 hasn't been released yet. A new system bought today will still be defaulted to the metro start menu, and those setting are in the taskbar settings to make the desktop the default.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.