uniqs

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

[Green Tech] Bought one of those Philips SlimStyle LED bulbs today.

After a few hours of being on, it's merely warm. Gives off a nice, warm [looks very much like a 65W incandescent bulb] light. Not bad for $10. Anyone else using them or the similar heat-sink-less model from Cree?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

[Green Tech] Re: Bought one of those Philips SlimStyle LED bulbs today.

I haven't seen it in the store yet. Anxious to get one.

»www.designingwithleds.co ··· -driver/
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl
I've seen the Cree version for sale at HD for $9.99.

Out of curiosity - what makes these better than the older version with a heat sink? The old version is very similar in size to a standard bulb, making it useful for almost any fixture. What value do these add?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Fewer components - cheaper to make - cheaper to buy.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

The regular 40W/60W Cree LED bulbs were at HD for only 7.95 last I checked.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I was actually at HD to get a flood light they just got back in stock. The SlimStyle was more of an impulse purchase. I didn't look for or see the Cree, but I'll take a look next time--might get one, too, for comparison.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

You guys got a link to the bulbs you are talking about? I don;t recall seeing anything like these.
edit: I found the Philips on the HD website. Nice idea. But the shape turns me off as much as the corkscrew CFL bulbs. These certainly won't work for some people in fixture where the bulb is an actual part of the overall design.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser

Premium Member

»www.cnet.com/products/ph ··· t-white/

»www.designingwithleds.co ··· -review/

»www.homedepot.com/p/Phil ··· 04730356

The LED mounting plate is the heat sink keeping the heat away from the electronics.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
When the light's on, you can hardly tell the difference in shape. (They're very bright, so one doesn't normally spend much time looking at them straight-on, or from the "side".)

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I would imagine when lit you wouldn't tell a difference. But I think of fixtures like our carriage style porch lights. They have clear glass and are very decorative, even during the daylight hours when the light is off. I like the way they look with a clear incandescent bulb. We have incandescent shaped LED bulbs in them now. I don't like the look as much, but it's the future. I know it is a small concern, and I'm glad to see manufacturers are looking for and find ways to make the lights less expensive without making them unreliable.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I can't explain why (just the techie in me?), but I find the shape and appearance appealing. (As soon as I saw it, I wanted to buy it.) I have it in a clear fixture in the kitchen--a much-used light. I hardly notice the shape even when it's off. Still, I think it has a "beautiful" (simple? expected? elegant?) design.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Lurch77

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

Nice idea. But the shape turns me off as much as the corkscrew CFL bulbs. These certainly won't work for some people in fixture where the bulb is an actual part of the overall design.

Yeah we have 5 (or is it 6) hanging flutes (bell-shaped frosted glass) in our kitchen/DR area that would look strange with a typical LED lamp in them. I do wonder if/when the design of these will allow use in these types of fixtures, which want light output from the base upward (or in our case, downward!).
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

1 recommendation

Aranarth to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl
looks like ncc-1701

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

A light bulb to warm the cockles of a Vulcan heart?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
Bought one, works well. I like the Cree but this is a very close second and if you consider the plastic is more forgiving than the glass on the Cree it be #1.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
We purchased 3 LED bulbs a month ago. I think they have a heat sink as they feel "heavy" and were around 16 bucks.
The light is about as bright as a 65 watt bulb, and the LED device remains cool to slightly warm to the touch. The plastic "house"/cover feels thick and "robust". Meaning it might survive a drop or two to the floor.

Now to see if it lasts the 7+ years.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

oh life is never what they say. i got one of those 100,000 hour led flashlights. 5 of the 18 leds quit working and no its never been dropped.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to GlennLouEarl

to GlennLouEarl
Yeah although I am rooting for LED technology to completely replace incandescent (filaments! how quaint!) lamps for once and for all, I am somewhat skeptical not only of the life of electronics required to support the LEDs, but then these super-bright LEDs invite worry re: lifespan don't they.

I gotta buy a couple of those SlimStyle bulbs at HD when I'm there next time.

Gord
@teksavvy.com

Gord to dvd536

Anon

to dvd536
Like my friends newish Audi. A bunch of leds died at the end of his tail light, talk about expensive.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
Went up there today; they're a dollar less now, $8.97 instead of $9.97; got a couple more for a ceiling fixture that needed a new bulb.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

Went up there today; they're a dollar less now, $8.97 instead of $9.97; got a couple more for a ceiling fixture that needed a new bulb.

I don't know if they affected the price of the Cree but the 60W Cree was 4.97 at HD. I bought a few.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
They are $3.97 at the home Depot in CT I could not resist and picked up 3 of them, might pick up 10 of them this weekend.. I don't think they limit how many you can buy in the store?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Wow, I'll have to check. I haven't made my weekly visit to HD, yet.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I forgot it's earth day tomorrow but I doubt they will go lower then $3.97 if so I think HD will refund the difference?

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet

said by dvd536:

oh life is never what they say. i got one of those 100,000 hour led flashlights. 5 of the 18 leds quit working and no its never been dropped.

And you took them back for a warranty exchange right? I bet you can't do that with any other type of bulb.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

On the flip side, with a standard bulb, after a few cents and a minute of his time he'd be on his way with a working flashlight. Pros and cons.

Take my maglites. My LED model has to be sent in since the LED won't come on. With my old incandescent models they even came with a spare bulb. I like the LED better. Longer battery life and brighter. But I could replace a blown bulb easy enough.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

said by Lurch77:

On the flip side, with a standard bulb, after a few cents and a minute of his time he'd be on his way with a working flashlight. Pros and cons.

Take my maglites. My LED model has to be sent in since the LED won't come on. With my old incandescent models they even came with a spare bulb. I like the LED better. Longer battery life and brighter. But I could replace a blown bulb easy enough.

But that's still not the whole picture. You pay for the work up front in operational costs so when it does break you've already paid for a replacement. With LED's you save all those operational costs. With the saving you could just buy a new bulb or flash light and still be ahead. Paying it on the front end is never the best. I'll take back end any day of the week so I can make interest on my money.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

But I don't need to leave my job site to get a new flashlight. I could buy an extra light, keep in in the van as a spare. But that's more inventory taking up space that I don't really need. My old Mags kept a spare bulb inside them.

Mind you, as said I prefer LED, and that's what I have. I'm just throwing an argument out there for old school tech.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

said by Lurch77:

But I don't need to leave my job site to get a new flashlight. I could buy an extra light, keep in in the van as a spare. But that's more inventory taking up space that I don't really need. My old Mags kept a spare bulb inside them.

Mind you, as said I prefer LED, and that's what I have. I'm just throwing an argument out there for old school tech.

There are LED replacements for Maglites that use incandescents. The old school techs are SOL on arguments except the almighty "BECAUSE....
".
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

I like the LED better. Longer battery life and brighter. But I could replace a blown bulb easy enough.

I have 3, 3 cell Maglites for the cars. Battery life was never a problem for me on the old ones. The batteries would leak before I could wear them out. That's how I got 2 shiny new LED flash lights. The 3rd one I had to buy myself. They're bright as crap.

Now, my 6 cell baseball bat edition (tm) Maglite? I swap the batteries every year so they don't ruin the light. I want to keep that sucker.

As to LED lights replacing incandescents? Let me know when I can buy a half dozen 100w equivalent bulbs that work on dimmers for $2.97 at the Wal*Mart and then I'll be interested. I still have to go through the 50 incandescent bulbs I stocked up on. And I suspect, with as little as I use that type of lighting in my home, will provide enough bulbs for the rest of my life.

The LED's I bought to replace the lights in the Outback and Golf "sort of" dim. But there comes a point where they just switch off. Not a big deal for the cars. But they wouldn't work in several light fixtures I have that do dim.