Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Madness on the Gardiner

said by elwoodblues:

You can thank Mike Harris and Mel Lastman for that one.
Harris cancelled all the subways Bob Rae had started and Lastman convinced him to pay for his Subway to Nowhere in North York (Sheppard)

As much as I'm not a fan of the Sheppard subway, the original intent was for it to cross the top of the city. That's why Downsview was built.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Yes, but the loony left put a stop to that and decided streetcars was a better idea.
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

1 recommendation

BoogaBooga to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Gardiner coupled with the 427 ramp construction leaves only the 401 and it's trucks. a 20 min commute for me became 1.5 hours during rush hour. God forbid it rains!

And they're not even doing anything on the 427 ramp! they just tore it down and left it! fuck!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

And it gets better, the morons running the city have decided to play "close the random lane" on Lakeshore Blvd, AT THE SAME TIME the Gardiner loses two lanes.

I swear the left hand does not know the right hand is doing in Toronto. I can't imagine the chaos when the close Lakeshore for Indy the Friday/Monday of that weekend is gong to be a mess.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Steve Buffery in the Sun writes on what a nightmare it was to get to a Jays game on the weekend.

With the current construction, the Gardiner is a mess
They closed Lakeshore for the Ride to Conquer Cancer
They closed the Yonge/University line below bloor for work on the weekend
On Sunday Wellington St was closed for a marathon?

And people wonder why I won't leave my cozy little neighbourhood on weekends. it's a bloody mess.

»www.torontosun.com/2014/ ··· jays-fan

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

1 edit

loosedobbs to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
LMAO. That pic says so much. Now that is the Toronto I know.
What a mess that construction at Union and Gardner created.
No idea who is benefiting in all this. Not the commuters or taxpayers for sure.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I work downtown during the weekday, University and Queen Street. I drive in every day, its fascinating how many downtown core streets are down to one lane, or are closed for no reason. They just closed John Street, which runs from Front to Queen street, for a CULTURAL CORRIDOR, I kid you not, what is a cultural corridor you ask, well it seems its pylons and tables, they cut that street to one lane both ways, very tight fitting which now you have to share with cyclists. Nevermind Peter Street also being closed for Condos, and Queen Street being closed many times on both right sides for construction. Its a mess down here, and they wonder why people don't go to games.

So when the weekend comes, I am in no way coming into the downtown core. I will do my shopping in the west, Mississauga/Oakville/Burlington.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

A sink hole started forming during winter on Carlaw just south of Gerrard. Did they fix it? Nope, just put pylons around it.

When you jump on the Gardiner from the east side, there is a indented man hole cover, and it's been sinking all year...

It's not just downtown, but all over the city, last summer, they setup the pylons and closed one lane by Shopper World Danforth on a Friday afternoon, then promptly went home.

The left hand does not talk to the right hand in this city, it's amazing how incompetently this city is run. Yet the big issue in the papers is how low Rob Ford's approval rating is.

eweazel
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel

I think these problems are based on the fact that most of these politicians are not, nor have any knowledge of skills trades, yet are put in charge of portfolios they know nothing about. This goes for every level of Government.
eweazel

eweazel to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
And of course the Hate for the Car !!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
My biggest beef is why are they not working 24/7 on the Gardiner there is ZERO reason why they can't run at least 2 shifts.

eweazel
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel

said by elwoodblues:

My biggest beef is why are they not working 24/7 on the Gardiner there is ZERO reason why they can't run at least 2 shifts.

Exactly, I hop on at Spadina @ 5pm daily, and all those trucks and equipment are stopped, and there are pylons keeping the left lane closed where there is no work being done, I get it that it needs to be closed during work hours, but why cant they remove them for the rush hour ? It really is a joke.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Somewhat related...on HWY 400 near Moonstone they have the north bound lanes closed. They prepared for this by expanding an extra lane on the south side. On Friday you still have two lanes going north. On Sunday they have used their neato nifty machine and moved the linked concrete barriers so that there are two lanes going south. Traffic flows.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
I swear, I've been looking to invest in these traffic cone companies, but they all seem to be private.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

That and the concrete barrier ones.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

And people wonder why I won't leave my cozy little neighbourhood on weekends. it's a bloody mess.

What's to stop you from escaping east? There is life beyond Toronto in the summer on weekends you know.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The condo owners (and their tenants) would complain about the noise.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

What's to stop you from escaping east? There is life beyond Toronto in the summer on weekends you know.

Because it's just as miserable trying to get out of the city as it is trying to get into it?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

He's in Scarborough. All his road problems are to the west. As someone who was trapped in the core for years I think he should be able to get out to the east relatively easy.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

He's in Scarborough. All his road problems are to the west. As someone who was trapped in the core for years I think he should be able to get out to the east relatively easy.

So I'll come up to Peterborough this weekend, guess I just have to look for all the cars on the front lawn to find yours.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by peterboro:

So I'll come up to Peterborough this weekend, guess I just have to look for all the cars on the front lawn to find yours.

just think, you could sell your fixer upper home for $600k, buy a similar home in Peterborough for $200k and have $400k left over for a lawn full of cars...heaven awaits.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

No need to add to the Toronto hordes that inundate us each weekend just use Google street view to find me while you sit at work doing nothing all day but post on DSLR.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

just think, you could sell your fixer upper home for $600k, buy a similar home in Peterborough for $200k and have $400k left over for a lawn full of cars...heaven awaits.

He could park his rust bucket Fords on his lawn and save a few bucks besides the money he saves not having to ever cut his front lawn. I suspect the biggest motivation to move here would be our proximity to all sorts of highly sought after "crops" in the area.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
Its far from a fixer upper, but whatever.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Doesn't matter the repair status if you own it free and clear. I rather own a fixer upper than rent to own a leveraged cookie cutter box in the burbs any day.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Doesn't matter the repair status if you own it free and clear. I rather own a fixer upper than rent to own a leveraged cookie cutter box in the burbs any day.

Mine is absolutely free and clear. has been for over 8yrs.